☆2☆

Some time later...

Mingyu was sitting in his studio, a map spread before him indicating an army ready to attack. His legions were exhausted, the war had been bloody ever since that first attack that had killed not only his mate, but part of his own family. Something that had been hunting him both in his nightmares and when he was awake.

It had been hard, so hard. Maybe too much for some of them. Mingyu had been one of the first to break even if nobody seemed to notice, except Seungcheol who was standing right before him, his sword at his side.

"We have to flee, Mingyu. You know that better than me." He said glancing at his king.

"And you know that I can't. I'm not leaving. I already told you. You can go if you want to, I'll stay here." Mingyu said glancing back at him.

"You know you can't do anything. That army is made of pure darkness, what are you going to do, Your Majesty, when it'll surround us, how will you fight them off? I'm curious." He said calling Mingyu mockingly.

Mingyu shot a cold glance to him. "Don't you dare talk to me like that. I am still your king, Seungcheol. Don't forget about it." He said tightly.

"You can be the king, Mingyu, but as your Second in Command and your Hand I'm saying the most logical thing to do. Fleeing is for the best, we can reorganize the army, find a better battlefield, one we know, and they don't. Trust me." Seungcheol said leaning on the table before them.

"We already tried, remember? Do you recall how hard it was to gain these territories back? How much people we lost because of that? " Mingyu said angrily.

"And answer me, my king, how much people are you ready to sacrifice just because you are stubborn? Tell me how much we'll stay here seeing people dying before you do something, Your Majesty." His second said punching the table.

Mingyu stook up hitting his hands on the table too. "Be careful, Seungcheol. If you want to leave with your mate, just go. I don't think I'm holding you with shackles and chains. Go. Take your mate, take your family. God take with you all the realm, I'm staying here." He said even if he knew he couldn't do much without him.

Seungcheol sighed and massaged his temple. "I am your Second Mingyu, I'm here to be brutally honest with you and right now I am. Take the troops away from here, let's go somewhere else." He said calmly, wanting to make him understand his positions.

Mingyu thought about it, but in his mind, there wasn't a single place on Earth where he wanted to be. Not even here, in the castle he was so eager to protect. But he had made a promise, and he had no intention to break it. So, he spoke, slowly sitting on his chair.

"I made a promise. I can't. I already broke my word once, and it had consequences. I'm not making the same mistake again."

"I know that you are blaming yourself. We all are, even after so much time. And it breaks my heart, Mingyu, to ask you this, to leave this place. But even Soonyoung left, and Seungkwan. I'm not asking you to leave him behind, I'm asking you to stay alive so that when they come back, when he comes back, you'll be able to see him again."

Mingyu knew he was right. But perhaps he had lost hope in seeing him again. Maybe the things he had said were just something to cheer him up, or the last word of a lover who wanted to believe in fate. He didn't know, yet he was holding on that castle with all his will. And maybe it was time to give up. If not the memories of him at least his castle.

So, with a silent tear running on his face, Mingyu said to his Second.
"Do everything you think is right. I'll accept it, retire the troops and evacuate. We'll go home. To Yesoden. So, prepare the ships, we'll leave tomorrow, and we'll sail going north, away from Antigua's lands as much as possible."

Seungcheol slightly inclined his head, leaving to prepare everything. Mingyu sank into his chair running a hand through his hair.

The day after...

The ships had been sailing since the night before, the first ones to leave had been women and children, along with the wounded and the old ones. The soldiers were still on the island, Seungcheol leading them. They will take the last boat, and then they'll say goodbye to their house. Again.

Mingyu was on the harbour, sword on his side and a shield behind his back. They were ready to go, the soldiers had accepted his proposal to live in his realm keeping their Antigua's traditions. Mingyu had sent a letter to Hansol, a member of his court and the one who had been the prince regent, leading Yesoden on Mingyu's place.

Hansol had been glad to finally see him again, Mingyu knew he had no interest in the crown and that leading the kingdom had been a favour for the younger.

Yesoden was exactly as he remembered; his cold weather was like a welcoming kiss on his now tan skin. All trees were covered in snow by this period of the year and the harbour itself was covered in it.

He found Hansol, Seungcheol's cousin, waiting for him with a smile plastered on his face. Greeting him there were also legions of soldiers saluting. His cousin hugged him tightly once they were face to face.

"Welcome back home, Mingyu. Yesoden was waiting for your return, as I was."