46) Brewing Clouds

"What's the update on the ring? Did you guys manage to track its roots?" Det. Lee asked his subordinates.

"Yes Sir, this ring here is a one of a kind diamond and there are only five of these in the whole world. So, it wasn't that difficult to trace its origins considering that this is the only one in Korea and the rest belongs to other countries." Det. Lee nodded his head, listening to everything carefully.

"So, how did this one of a kind rare diamond fall into the hands of our two peddlers? And who is the original owner of this ring?"

"Well Sir, according to our investigation this ring was bought by Mr. Lee Minjae in an auction that was held in Seoul last year. And we also found out that Mr. Lee was here in Daegu with his family seven months ago and they were staying at the mountain resort. Apparently he was here to get married, but his fiancee was reported dead just one day before the wedding in an accident. The official report says he fell off the cliff and drowned and his body was never recovered." Det. Lee was stunned hearing the news.

"Who was incharge of that case?" he enquired.

"Well, since it was a high profile case including two of the chaebol families in Korea, the case was handled by the Commissioner himself. It was all kept very hush hush since they didn't want the media to get wind of it and turn a tragedy into a circus."

"So you're telling me that they never found his body and just declared him dead?"

"Yes Sir, because the night in question when the accident happened there was a heavy hail storm that lasted for several hours resulting in high tide and floods in several regions." Det. Lee sighed knowing why he was declared dead.

"So they just assumed he was washed away by the heavy tide." he answered himself.

"Yes Sir, that's what we thought too."

"So, I guess it's a safe bet to assume that the ring belongs to the dead fiancee?"

"Yes Sir."

"Then how the hell did it end up in the hands of those two bastards?"

"Well, according to them they were fishing late at night and the ring just happened to be caught in their net. They didn't know its value, so they thought to take it to a pawn shop to find what they could get for it and you know what happened next."

"So why didn't they try to sell it the moment they found it? Why wait and keep it with them all these months? And do they think we are idiots to believe that this rare diamond ring just happened to fall into their net in such a vast river?"

"We understand, SIr. But no matter how many times we questioned both of them, they were not budging from their narrative and without any valid proof we couldn't keep them in the cell for more than 48 hours, so we had to let them loose." Det. Lee rubbed his hands in frustration. He knew there was something fishy about their story, but he didn't know what to do without any evidence

"What do you want us to do with this ring, Sir?" the officer asked, bringing Det. Lee out of his thoughts.

"Well, since we know who the owner is, inform him about it and tell him that he can collect it from the station." he said, before dismissing the officers.

" he said, before dismissing the officers