Lance Gordon

During our trip back towards our home bus stop I could not help but glance repeatably at the blonde with the book from the vantage point of my seat at the back of the bus.  She seemed like a nice girl, and I thought she must be smart if she reads a lot.  I wondered what she was like.  I thought that if she keeps to herself a lot, maybe she is shy like me.  If I ever were to have a girlfriend I think she would have to be shy like me in order to understand me.  I wondered if she could ever even like me.

The bus finally reached my stop, and as I left the bus I stole a glance at her as she was sitting and reading her book.  She looked more gorgeous than ever, and very sweet.  Her blonde hair cascaded down all around her shoulders and around her arms in amazing ways.  I thought somehow I needed to know if she could like me.  I just had to find out more about her, even if I was scared to death of her.

I wondered where she lived.  If she were on my bus it seemed reasonable that she might not live that far away from me.  I wondered how many bus stops came before my stop and which one she got on the bus from.

I ran into the house with my backpack and met my mom on the way in.

"How was your first day of school, Cole?", she asked.

"It was fine.  I saw most of my classes on this first day, and have some homework already, but I don't think its too bad."

"Did anyone bother you, or wonder about you?  Did anything unusual happen?", she asked.

"No, nothing unusual happened, mom", I lied, thinking about throwing Kyle in the dumpster, poor Lenny, and the blonde.  

I started to wonder about myself.  Could it be possible that I was now crushing on the blonde? I knew almost nothing about her, and did not even know she existed prior to today, yet it seemed like I was thinking about her more and more of the time.

I went into my bedroom not wanting to talk too much about my day.  I really did not understand all that happened to me either.  There were just too many questions.

I sat on the bed, and then mom came into my room.  She was smiling at me, still curious about my day.  My mom was as beautiful as ever.

"Hey Cole, what did you think of the girls at the high school?  Are there any cute girls there?", she asked.

"Yeah", I allowed.  I did not want to say too much.  I really did not know much.

"Well, we hope you enjoy the school year and meet some good friends, but as you know you are not like everyone else so you need to be careful.  I guess from what you are saying things went fine, right?", she asked.

"Yeah, everything is fine, mom", I said.  I really did think things were in control, but I felt like I just needed to get away and just think. 

"And mom", I continued,  "I think I want to go back to the beach now.  I want to relax and think about my day.  Even though it's late in the afternoon I think I want to get a swim in before dinner.  It only takes me 10 minutes to get there"