Police

The ride to the police station was humbling.  I felt like I was somebody society needed to discard, and this was the beginning of that process.  Society's system would determine that I was garbage and lock me away and the World would keep on going without me.

But it was not all bad.  I had the wonderful memory of being with Amanda and holding her in my arms, and talking with her.  It was such a short time.  I wished I had carried her 15 miles instead of five.  That would have given me much more time with her and we could have gotten to know each other.  God, I missed her so bad already.  She made me happy.

Our car stopped in a space in front of the police station.  As I entered the station I noticed there were a few other high school kids in there.  Some were talking to police officers.  As I passed through the door a few of the other kids gave me a brief look, and stared at my arms and chest.  The escorting police officers held me close and did not give me anywhere to move.  They pulled me into a side room.  Just as I entered the room I noticed my parents had also entered the police station.  They looked grim and ashen in appearance and only glanced at me briefly as I was pulled into the room.

I was told to sit down and a new police officer I had not seen before sat across from me.  He introduced himself as Officer Richards.  My two escorts stood behind him and stared at me like they thought I was garbage.  The sitting police officer explained to me that they believed a serious offense may have been committed and they wanted answers to some questions.  They said I did not have to answer the questions but could obtain a lawyer instead.

"I do not want a lawyer", I said.  "I was only saving a girl from being raped.  What's going to happen to me?"

"Thats what we are going to find out.  We are going to take it as far as we can.", said Richards.

"Oh"

"What girl?", asked Richards.

"Amanda Westbrook"

"What is your relationship to Amanda Westbrook?"

"She's my girlfriend"

"Are you sure?", asked Richards.

"We don't seem to have that information. Did she come with you to the party?"

"No"

"Of course not because she is not your girlfriend. She probably never would. You are a creepy guy..... Where did you stash the weapon you used to bash Mr. Gordon and his other team mates?"

"I did not have any weapon"

"We don't believe you.  We examined the wounds you put on those men and it looks like you hit them with a hammer or a bat.  A weapon is needed to punch bone fractures like that.  Tell us where you stashed the weapon."

"I only used my hands.  I can punch hard if I need to."

Richards looked up at the other two officers when I said that.  I was thinking he was in a way warning them to be careful with me.  They might need to use deadly force against me.

"Okay Mr Hammond.  I think your lying about that too.  You must have had a weapon.  Why did you go to the party?"

"I am new to the school and wanted to see what goes on at those parties.  I am very shy and don't know anyone."

"Yet, for some reason you took it on yourself to attack all these football players because you imagined they were going to rape Miss Westbrook?"

"I did not only think that.  They actually started to do it.  They drugged her and brought her into a back room and pulled her skirt down."