Back To School

I really needed to get back to school.  I had missed a bunch of days, and so did Manda, but it was important to help her and help myself too so I had to be away from school for a while, but now I had to get caught up. 

After a couple of weeks, Manda still was having trouble walking.  Both legs were tingly, which was a good sign that nerves were trying to come back, but they were both weak, and one of her legs was worse than the other.  Manda did not want to be driven to school by her mom but wanted to go with me, so we would use the bus.  I decided I would walk down to her bus stop three miles away each morning to help her.  I also wanted to be with her so if anyone were to make fun of her I could smash their face in.

Manda did not want to use a wheel chair.  She had two crutches, but she probably should have been in a wheel chair.  I was so afraid if she fell down she would not be able to get up.  In fact, I was pretty sure that was the case.

When Monday came around we decided to try this plan.  I walked the three miles down to her house and knocked on her door.  Her mom let me in and Manda popped out from her bedroom.  She was all dressed for school and cute as ever but leaned on the walls in the hallway in a kind of precarious way.  At any moment I thought she would fall, but she gave me a big smile when she saw me.  I walked over to her and gave her a big hug and kiss and she smiled back and laughed.

"Hey Cole," you look great today.

"Are you kidding?  Your the one that looks fantastic, Manda."

"No, I'm not"

"Of course you do, and I am going to be with you as much as I can today and everyday because I want to."

"Why are you so nice to me?  I don't deserve it."

"You deserve it more than you will ever know.  Anyway, did you eat?  The bus will be here soon."

"Yeah"

"Okay, then lets go.  Let me have your crutches."

"What are you going to do?"

"For now, I'll just carry you.  Don't you remember I carried you five miles to your home from Lance's party?  You don't weigh anything."

"I guess it's useful having a big strong boyfriend," Manda chuckled.

I did not say anything.  I passed the crutches on to Manda to hold and I took my girl in my arms and carried her out the door down to the bus stop.  We then sat down on the curb.  A few other kid's arrived and stared at us, but they knew who we were because they rode on the bus with us and Manda and I always sat together on the bus.

"What's wrong with Manda?", I heard one geeky kid say while he was chewing gum.

"Paul, I hurt my legs," said Manda.

"How did you do that?," he continued.

"Nevermind", I interjected not wanting Manda to say more.  I glared a little at the kid, who then turned away.

"I guess people are going to ask me that question all day today," Manda whispered in my ear.  "Should I tell them I tried to kill myself?"

"Don't be ridiculous!", I whispered back.  "The whole thing was my fault, anyway.  Don't say anything, or if you must just say you fell down or something and that you are being treated and will be fine."

"Will I be fine?" she whispered and then looked deeply into my eyes with her gorgeous golden brown eyes searching my eyes and my face.

"Of course you will," I said.  I was pretty sure she would eventually recover because her legs were tingling.  She just needed time and some physical therapy.