Chapter 24

Y/n firmly held onto her husband's arm as they walked through the doors leading to the dragon sanctuary. Three days had passed since they had attended dinner at the ministers house. Y/n had been feeling very down because of the minister's wifes harsh words. Lucius had told her repeatedly that she is perfect, but her icy cold words still hurt. IN order to cheer her up, Lucius had now decided to take her on a date. This was a pretty rare occurrence, since " respectable men didn't take their wife's out on pretty little dates". However, the mighty  Lucius Malfoy had decided to make an exception to cheer up his pretty little wife.

Y/n couldn't help but notice the stares as they walked in. She had learned by now that the states were a part of being a Malfoy. Wherever they went, everyone was looking.. Some tried to hide it, while some blatantly stared. Some eyes were filled with admiration, some by jealousy, some by disgust, but most with fear.  She was of course aware of the reputation her husband had. Before she married him, she had herself been one of them. One of the many who saw Lucius Malfoy, as a terrible, dangerous man.
If only they all knew what he was like when the whole wizarding world wasn't watching ; Y/n thought.

When they spotted the first dragon, Y/n was baffled. She had read an almost embarrassing amount of books about them, but she had never actually seen one in real life. Lucius smiled at the look of innocent wonder upon his wife's face. If they were at home, he would most likely have chuckled and given her a kiss on the forehead, but that simply isn't an option in public.

" wow.." Y/n whispers.

Lucius then took her hand and led her closer to the creature.

" Would you like to pet it?" he asked. Y/n didn't know that one was allowed to pet a dragon. But she then realized, that noone, not even the guards looking after a dragon, could say no to a request from lucius malfoy.

" Of course," Y/n answered. She stayed and admired the dragons as her husband went over to speak to one of the guards. Not even a minute later, the guard unlocked the cage the dragon was held in.

" Be careful, " Lucius urged her. Even though this dragon was basically harmless, without sharp teeth and almost no claws, he still worried for her.
But still, he would never have suggested that she patted it if he really thought she could get hurt in any way.

Y/n slowly walked inside the cage. She took a careful step closer to the dragon, and was relieved when it barely reacted. She walked closer and closer, until she could touch its head with her hand.

" Hi.." she whispered, making sure no one but the dragon could hear her. 
A sizzle of smoke escaped the dragon's nostrils. It had caught her off guard, so she jumped back in fright.
Lucius immediately stepped inside the cage and put a protective arm around his wife.

"  No need to worry Mrs Malfoy, he's just saying hello" the guard informed her.

After taking a deep breath, she once again stepped forward and started petting the dragon. Lucius could help but smile at how adorable his wife was.

" He is amazing," Y/n said, while gently petting the scales.

" I know, dragons are one of the most amazing creatures to exist,"  Lucius told her. He then stepped closer, making sure only she could hear what he was about to say next.
" That's why they are part of the family crest," he said with a cheeky smile.

Y/n  smiled and gave the dragon a few last pets.

" always so humble, Lucius," she said and turned towards him

" Of course, my lady,'' he answered.

He then took her hand and led her out of the cage. They stopped by the information plaque before moving on. Y/n learned that what she had just petted was called an " communis anglicus draco", or common english dragon as lucius explained when he saw her puzzled face.