just good friends

1990

MASON AND IZZY made friends quite quickly, since they had most of the same interests. It was still only the two men and Jackie at her house. Her palms were sweating as she continuously looked out the front window for any sign of Audrey showing up. She didn't want her to walk into her best friends house and find Izzy Stradlin in there casually chatting it up with Mason.

Jackie decided she'd clean up a bit. She cleared out more of the beer bottles from the living room, then took a shower. She put on the same clothes as earlier after putting on a clean sports bra and underwear.

She was on her hands and knees in front of the couch with a damp towel in her hand, scrubbing the small stain on the rug from the quarter empty beer bottle that she knocked over just before Izzy arrived. She chuckled at the thought. Less than a minute before she opened the door, it hadn't crossed her mind for even a second that he'd be the one on the other side.

"Jackie!" Mason's voice traveled through the hallway and he peeked over the back of the couch a second later. "Um-" he swallowed thickly when he saw the position she was in. "Uh-"

"Cat got your tongue?" Jackie chuckled as she continued scrubbing. "No, um.." he said. Izzy appeared next to him when she looked back. That's when she stopped scrubbing, moving to sit with her calves below her as she turned her attention fully to the men. "Me and Izzy are going out."

Jackie furrowed her brows then laughed a little. "You two got along pretty quick, huh?" She smiled. Izzy's face then broke out into a smile. "Yeah." Mason nodded and shared a sideways look with Izzy.

"Alright, well where are you goin'?" She asked. Izzy watched as she brushed a few strands of hair out of her face.

"We're gonna go get some drinks." Mason answered. She frowned a little. She cleaned up because Izzy was there and now Mason's already dragging him away.

"Okay." She said quickly, nodding and turning her attention back to the damned stain.

"I'm gonna go start the car, I'll be back." Mason nudged Izzy's shoulder before throwing on a jacket and running outside. Izzy nodded then looked back at Jackie.

"We might just go to a gas station and get a twelve pack or somethin'." He shrugged. Izzy could tell she wasn't too fond about them leaving.

"Okay." She said, standing up and tossing the towel on the coffee table. Izzy was on the other side of the couch by now, standing a few feet from her. They stayed awkwardly quiet. She chewed on her lip and wiped her damp hands onto her shorts. The corner of Izzy's lips curled ever so slightly as he realized she was beginning to feel flustered under his gaze.

He took a step closer and couldn't resist tucking some of her hair behind her ear. Goosebumps followed behind on the skin of where he lay his fingers.

"Holy..." The door swung open before Mason's voice interrupted their little moment. "It's so cold out there. It looks like it might snow." Jackie looked over Izzy's shoulder to see Mason rubbing his reddened hands together as his shoulders shook.

"Snow?" Izzy repeated.

"Yeah, snow." Jackie said.

"Really?"

"Yeah..? Didn't you get snow in Indiana..?" She blinked.

"Dude, none of this matters! Let's go." Mason chimed in.

Mason dragged Izzy out the door and he offered Jackie an apologetic smile to which she responded with a head shake and crossed arms.

Izzy tried convincing Mason to go to the gas station instead of a bar, because it was 'cold outside' but really he'd rather just stay with Jackie.

"You're so boring." Mason grumbled as they pulled out of Jackie's street. "Sorry man, I'm not trying to freeze my dick off." Izzy retorted.

"No, you're just not used to this weather.. you- you... you Californian..." Mason responded weakly. "Your skinny bones will break apart." He then laughed at his own words.

"No, look-" Izzy pointed to a nearby gas station. "Sinclair? No way, that place is filled with druggies.." Mason said.

"Okay, then right there." Izzy then pointed to a different gas station on the other side of the street.

"Alright, fine.." Mason turned the steering wheel. "So uh-" he cleared his throat. "You and Jackie." He mumbled. Izzy turned his head. "Huh?"

"Are you guys.. like- together?" Mason tried to hide the jealousy in his voice.

"Nah, man." Izzy laughed. "Just good friends."

Really good friends.

"Oh yeah?" Mason smirked and raised his eyebrow. "Yeah." Izzy replied plainly. Mason hummed. "Alright..." he turned back at the road with a knowing look.

After a moment Izzy looked at him from the corner of his eye, then Mason did the same and they went back and forth a few times.

"What, dude?" Izzy laughed loudly. "Nothing!" Mason took his hands off the wheel and held them up in defense.

layne speaks!
hii so sorry for short chapter, next one will be longer