"get outta here, you bafoon!"

1990

"POPCORN?"

Mason furrowed his brows at the nickname that had been given to Steven many years ago. Jackie nodded, glancing at him from the driver's seat.

"'Cause his hair would jump all around like popcorn when he played drums." she added, clicking her tongue on the roof of her mouth when they approached the road she was supposed to turn on.

"You know if he still plays?" he asked as the car turned right.

Jackie shook her head. "No idea. I haven't seen him since, what, '87? '88?"

"I'm kinda nervous." she commented as she brought the car to a stop beside a curb. Taking a deep breath, she scanned her eyes all around the large rehabilitation home.

Mason hopped out of the car after her, gulping as he looked over the dingy house. The front door creaked open as they made it to the cement steps, and out came Steven "Popcorn" Adler.

"Steve." Jackie smiled with a relieved sigh, letting her shoulders rest as her old roommate pulled her into his arms.

"Holy shit, Jackie. You look great!" Steven commented with that bright grin that she missed dearly.

"Look at yourself!" Jackie admired the man for a moment. His hands weren't shaking and he wasn't slurring his words at all like he used to. Although he wore aviators over his eyes, she could tell his pupils weren't dilated. He was completely clean and sober.

"Aw, shucks. Don't make me blush." he pulled her into a side hug, pecking her forehead as his eyes found Mason. "Who's this?" he asked her.

"This is Mason, my best friend from Seattle." Jackie answered, grabbing Mason's wrist so he'd come closer. "Mason, this is Steven."

They both had goofy smiles on their faces as they introduced themselves to each other, and Jackie reached for one of Steven's bags from the ground.

"Oh no, no, I can get those." Steven waved her off, grabbing both bags. She unlocked the trunk for him so he could toss his belongings in there. Once he was finished, she looked at him expectantly.

"No drum kit?" she raised her eyebrows. Steven chuckled softly. "Nah, it's in storage. I can get that later." he shrugged, pulling open the rear door of her car.

"Wow, even your car smells the same." he commented with a boyish giggle, examining the dents in the head rest of the passenger seat that he'd almost destroyed with his drum sticks once.

"Hey, I hope it's alright that I brought Mason along. He's feelin' a little out of place here where it's so busy and chaotic." she buckled herself in the driver's seat, looking at him over her shoulder.

"Nah, it's okay. He seems cool." he nodded enthusiastically, his hair softly bouncing with the movement. Mason slammed the trunk shut and hopped in the passenger seat a minute later.

"Are you hungry? You need anything from the store before we go?" Jackie glanced at him in the rearview mirror.

He shrugged. "I could eat, and sure. I'm tired of using that cheapo hair stuff they get here." he frowned, rubbing his fingers through his damaged hair.