dial tone

THE WEEK has gone smoothly so far. I haven't seen Aaron at all, which was one of my biggest worries. The other part of my mind was too preoccupied with Slash & what happened with Izzy.

"You know..," my mother began, placing a breakfast plate in front of me on the table. "Since thanksgiving is coming up, you could stay a bit longer..?" She shrugs, sitting across from me. "Mom.."

"Well, for gods sake Jackie Lynn. You can bring yer damn bandmates if you wanna. Just tell me what I have to do to keep my little girl here a while longer." She finally snapped.

For a minute I really, really considered the offer.. the guys probably had no where to spend thanksgiving, and we'd probably have no one else spending it with us.

"I don't know." I shook my head lightly, stabbing the eggs with my fork. The guys can be a lot sometimes, and I don't want to give my mother another reason to try and convince me to stay. "Thanksgiving isn't for another few weeks." I said.

"Jaqueline, would ye' stop bein' so darn stubborn and stay here with your parents for at least a month before you disappear again?" My father joined in from besides my mother. "Clarence, get off her tail, will ya?" She interjected.

"I don't know, guys. Just give me a few hours and I'll think about it, 'kay?" I said in hopes of leaving this conversation in the dust.

-

"Jackie Lynn, before ye' go, could ya bring in the mail for me?" My mother called from the kitchen as she washed dishes. "Yeah." I shouted back, jogging to the mailbox before returning the envelopes to her.

"Come on, Battle."

I decided to take Battle on a walk, because he looked in need of one, and now that I'm back home, I can act like a teenager again. I don't have to worry about five grown men burning my house down. When I lived here, I'd take Battle to the park everyday before sunset, and swing while he'd play with the children.

I made it to the park and immediately saw a familiar face. "Jackie Lynn? Oh my lord, you're home!" The sweet old lady sped up toward me. "Hey, Carmen." I smiled, pulling her in for a hug. Carmen was one of the neighborhood grandmas. She'd always show up to the barbecues with the sweets, whether it be a pan of brownies, chocolate chip cookies, cake pops..

"Yeah, home for thanksgiving." I said as she pulled away. "Well, that's great!" She exclaimed. "Oh, sweetie.. let me make ya some sweets for the holiday." She bumped my shoulder lightly. "Just come by my house and I'll have some ready for ya."

She hasn't changed a bit.

I spent my time at the park sitting on a bench next to Carmen. She updated me on the neighborhood gossip, specifically sticking to one certain topic about the new family that moved in next to her, who'd always leave cigarettes on the ground just next to her garden. Battle played with the new generation of little kids who'd taken over the park. I wonder how those other kids are doing, the ones he used to play with. They're probably in high school by now, gushing over their first boyfriends or stressing about grades.

NOVEMBER 12th
-
4:54 pm

I twirled the phone cord as I listened to the dial tone. beeeeep... beeeeep... beeeeep... Then the garbled sounds of a phone being taken off its receiver.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's Jack." I said, not really sure of who I was talking to.

"Oh, hey Jackie! How's it going?" I recognized the voice as Steven's.

"Great, it's great. I just wanted to talk to you and the guys about something." I responded.