consequences

1990

Axl greeted them at the door once they arrived to the large house. Jackie had never even seen the house before, and she wasn't sure if she should be surprised that Axl owned it. It had Axl written all over it with the luxurious leather furniture and expensive statues lined by the walls, that were of course covered in expensive paintings.

Axl led them around a corner, and immediately Jackie felt bile rise up in her throat at the sight of Calliope straddling Izzy on the couch, feeding him grapes. Since Izzy had his head back against the cushions with his eyes closed, fortunately he hadn't seen her.

"Uh... we can go in the kitchen." Axl scratched his head before speeding further into the house.

"Jackie!" A honey voice called her name, and she turned to see Erin stirring a spoon into a bowl. Jackie sighed, relieved to see a friendly face. "Hi, Erin." she pulled her into a hug.

"Sorry, I got chocolate on my hands." Erin giggled, pulling her hands away. "Ooh, what're you making?" Jackie raised her eyebrows, looking into the mixing bowl.

"Brownies!" Vicki whirled around, smiling brightly at Jackie. "Nice." Jackie nodded with a soft smile. She didn't even notice Vicki standing there.

God, I hope she doesn't know... Jackie thought, mentally facepalming herself.

"Linda, did you get the fuckin' powdered sugar?" Vicki's tone immediately switched as her voice echoed in the kitchen.

"Yeah! Sorry!" Linda came rushing into the kitchen with a large bag of powdered sugar. "I couldn't reach the top shelf." she confessed.

"You coulda asked me." Duff came around, sliding his arms around Linda's waist and leaving a kiss on her cheek.

"Hey Duff." Jackie smiled brightly. It felt good to see him do something as casual as entering the room. Something she'd sorely missed throughout her travels.

"What's up, Jack?" Duff lifted his chin as a greeting. Jackie shrugged, pursing her lips together. Duff nodded, bawling his eyes over to the open sliding glass door.

She followed him out into the warm backyard, where there was a large pool, and lots of grass. Slash, Axl, and Matt were standing on the patio, laughing at some kids who were trying to peek over the fence.

She and Duff stayed off to the side, away from the others. "What's up, sweetheart? How are you doing?"

She sighed, running a hand through her hair. "I don't even know." she shrugged, chuckling dryly.

"I mean, really. I don't. I'm confused... about my feelings, about what the fuck is even going on with Izzy and that fucking..." she trailed off before she could say something she'd regret.

"Um..." Duff swallowed thickly, leaning against the pillar to his side. "So... Calliope..."

Jackie darted her eyes over to meet Duff's at the mention of her name. "She... well, she was kind of a groupie that Izzy would call up any time he.. missed you... I guess." he shrugged, looking down at the ground shamefully.

Jackie groaned. "I don't wanna hear any of that I miss you shit. It's just gonna make me feel bad and forgive him like that." she snapped her fingers.

Duff chuckled lightly. "Well, that's what I know, so..." he trailed off, shrugging again. He wished he could do more. Jackie was like a little sister to him, and what affected her, affected him.

"Thanks, Duff." she placed her hand on his arm. She knew he was only trying to help, but she'd rather just ignore it, and act like it never happened.