chapel lane

NOVEMBER 24, 1987, NASHVILLE, TN.

"MOM, NO." I shook my head. "Nobody likes candied yams."

"Your father likes them!" She argued while placing two sweet potatoes in the shopping cart. The guys are here tomorrow, which I'm shaking in my boots about. We decided it'd be better if they came the day before thanksgiving, because if they came a week early, I know for a fact they'd be bored out of their minds and far off the wagon by actual thanksgiving day. My mother and I decided to go out grocery shopping last minute, for whatever reason.. so a lot of the essential thanksgiving foods weren't in stock.

"Alright, fine." I said simply, crossing my arms. "But don't get mad when nobody eats them and there's too much left over."

She simply grunted in response and pulled the cart down the aisle. "So tell me about this Slash kid, eh?" She smirked over her shoulder at me to which I couldn't hide my smile. "What do you wanna know?" I asked. How do you even answer a question like that? It's not an offensive question or anything, but where do I even start?

"Well, what's he like?"

I felt my face heat up when I saw his image in my mind. "He's really sweet. He treats me well." I nodded, failing miserably at hiding my smile.

"Mhm.. yeah, he any good in the sheets?"

"Mom!" I whisper-yelled at her. She managed to say it just as we passed a small family whose mother gave us a disgusted look. "I'm just makin' sure you're getting what you deserve." She shrugged. "No, mom. That's not the type of question a mother asks her daughter."

She pulled the end of the cart into another aisle. "Well, your father's slacking on his game. I'm living vicariously through you." She shrugged again. "Mom, stop." I hissed.

"Alright, alright."

...

"I mean, being a guitarist and all.. he must be pretty skilled with those fing-"

"Mom, I swear to God!"

She finally shut up and we wheeled our shopping cart to the checkout. "Jackie? Oh my god!" I hear a familiar voice call from behind. I looked back and immediately ran up to hug the raven haired girl. "Eden!"

"Where the hell were you for three years?" She asked when she pulled away, bumping my shoulder. "California." I responded plainly.

"Shit, I wont ask.. but I'm glad you're back, girl!" She said, somehow aware that the circumstances of my disappearance weren't the best. Eden and I went to high school together, smoked our first weed together, chased by the cops together..

"So you stayin' for thanksgiving?" She asked, blowing a bubble with her chewing gum. "Yeah." I nodded.

"Jackie, come help me out here." I looked back to see my mother struggling with a package of bottled waters. I turned back to Eden. "Alright, well I gotta run. It was great seeing you again, I'll stay in touch." I smiled. She lived just a few houses down the street from mine and last I remember I have her phone number written down. "..M'kay. See you around." She winked before turning on heel.

I helped my mom pack the groceries into the cart after they were scanned, then we took them out to the truck. "This wind is somethin' else." My mother remarked. I laughed a little. Ah, parents small talk.