Chapter 23 - Damian

"CHIEF! EVERYONE! YOU CAN COME OUT NOW! THE MONSTER IS DEAD!" She shouted from the top of her lungs

"CHIEF! EVERYONE! YOU CAN COME OUT NOW! THE MONSTER IS DEAD!" She shouted from the top of her lungs. No wonder she's quite well-known in the fish market, for being so loud. Although it's not bad since it helps our daily lives.

Soon, the Chief's village came out running straight to us along with other villagers.

"REALLY?" He asks while staring at us in disbelief.

"Yes. Now that it's dead, we have to gathered all the wounded and those who knows the way to the Capital, please go and ask them for help." She explained.

"I know the way, but my husband, he's badly wounded." The woman says while showing us her husband with claws mark on his body. His eyes were shut and I guess that he needs a healer or else he's not gonna make it.

"I will take care of him. If no one will go, all the wounded won't make it, I swear to you. If no one informs the King, we will die through infections and starvation."

And she's right. We don't have anything right now except our life.

The only source of our living was through fishing as our land coudn't support farming. And now that everyone's hurt, who will catch those fish for us to eat? We could eat until tomorrow, but what about the next day?

"I will go with them." I said, but I was immediately rejected by her.

"Stay here, Damian. I need you to be here." She said and the way she said those feels kind of different. Like she doesn't want me to go there.

But why?

In the end, I couldn't say no as I can't leave here alone too.

"Do you think they make it out?" I asked.

It has been 20 hours since they've gone and I'm wondering, if help will come here.

"I don't know but I wish that they make it or we're all gonna die here." She said but I quickly laughed it off because that's kind of absurd. After everything we did?

"Come on Aunt Aila, stop being pessimistic." I told her before she told me to call her by her real name.

"Ainee? Sounds same to me, though." I said before laughing at her.

"It's not!" She retort making me laugh even more because she loves to argue even she's on the brink of losing.

"Stop laughing as if you made any different. Using your middle name, really?" She asked with a raised brow.

I admit she got a point but I was 8 years old during that time!

"I was a 8. Besides, I cherish my name as it's given to me by my Mom." I said before she confessed how she faced difficulty in  choosing the suitable name for her daughter.

"Edrei sounds nice and unique." I told her, making her smile before she pulled her knees toward her chest.

She probably misses her so much.