Chapter 3

(Chapter song ‘Viva La Vida' by Coldplay, ‘Girls Just Wanna Have Fun’ by Cindy Lauper)
JENNY

My eyes travel from the front door of my house to the full trunk of my Prius.  I’ve been doing this for the last ten minutes as my brain fights with itself.  Yes and No bouncing back and forth like a volleyball.  My brows are stitched up as I nervously try to convince myself that I can do this.
“That’s the last of it.”  My dad huffs a chuckle as he comes out of the house with two bags in hands.  He walks them over to the car and my mother is behind him.  “Now…Let’s see…”  He says to himself as he looks for a spot to fit them.
I’m chewing my nail, looking at the end of my childhood and the prospect of being thousands of miles away from the people that have kept me safe my whole life. 
My mother wraps her arm around me.  “It’ll be fine.”  She says softly.
I glance at her.  “You think so?”
She nods.  “Yes.  You’re brave and independent.  You’ll knock out anything that comes your way.  I have…faith.” 
I tilt my head to her.  “No, you don’t.”  I say.  I don’t believe a word of that.
She laughs a little.  “You’re right, I don’t.  I’m scared to death.”  She turns to me and holds my cheeks briefly.  “But I have never seen you so passionate about anything since you were a child.  My terrified thoughts can’t get in the way of your life.  If this is what you truly want, don’t worry about me.  I have enough worry for both of us.”  She leans and giggles to me.
I smile.  “I just…Now that it’s actually happening…”
“OK.  They said it couldn’t be done, but I managed to fit a woman’s packing into a sardine can.”  My dad laughs after shutting my rear passenger door.  “Just be careful over bumps.”  He makes an explosion sounds and laughs which brings on a nervous laugh from me.  I push my black rimmed glasses up the bridge of nose and look at my stuffed, tiny car. 
He comes over and wraps his large arms around my head.  “I’m going to miss you, kid.” 
“I’m gonna miss you too, daddy.”  I choke as a tiny bit of fear invades my chest. 
He pushes me back.  “Don’t talk to strangers.  Don’t take anything from anyone and don’t stop for hitchhikers no matter what.”  He leans his head to me, looks into my eyes and points at me as he delivers his warnings.
I swallow and nod.  “Got it.” 
“If something happens, all the emergency numbers are in the glove box.  You lock the doors and wait.  Don’t get out until help comes.  Make sure your phone is charged.  Do you have your emergency credit card?”  he holds my arms as he instructs.
I open my small, pink, square wallet and produce the gold, rectangle card and smile.
“Good girl.”  He kisses my blonde hair that’s pulled up into a messy bun.  “Don’t lose it.  That’s your lifeline out there, OK.  You can buy food or gas, but nothing crazy.  I’m paying the bill, got it?” 
I chuckle.  “Yes, sir.” 
He looks at me and his face fills with love.  “I never thought I see the day when my baby girl leaves me.”  He almost looks like he’s about to cry. 
“I didn’t think I’d leave either.”  I sniff.
He hugs me again.  “You be so careful out there.  Mind the dangers.  Listen to your gut at all times.  If you can’t do it, turn that car around and you rush back to me, OK.  Our house always be here to come home to.  Remember, I love you, champ.”
“I love you too.”  I feel my eyes heat.  This is a giant step for me considering I wanted to hide from the world forever. 
He separates and my mom moves in.  She hugs me tight, fighting tears as well.  “You call me everyday.  Twice a day if you have to.  I love so much.” 
“Love you too, mom.”  I hitch.
She giggles and pulls back.  She wipes my cheeks as tears fall.  “Angel, don’t cry before you have to drive.  It’s not safe to drive upset.” 
I bite my lip and nod.  I take a deep breath and smile.  I step back and look at my parents.  My dad holds my mom.  “Well, this is it.”  I almost want them to stop me.  “I…I’ll call as soon as I get there.”
“Yes.  Please.”  My mother says.
I walk around to the drivers door.  “The GPS tracker is turned on so you can follow my drive.”
“We’ll never turn it off.”  My dad smiles warmly.
I pause and take one last look at the people who gave me life and happiness.  “Bye.”  I hesitantly turn and get in.  I start the car and my mom hugs my dad’s waist.  He waves to me as I back out of the driveway of my childhood home in St. Edwards, Maine.  
I put the car in drive, take one last memorable look at my parents, wave and turn to the windshield.  I heave a breath.  “I can do this.”
My tiny town in the Eastern state is home to 200 wolves and my father takes care of it all. Yes, I’m an Alpha daughter, but there’s no way I can be an Alpha for anyone.
I’ve spent most of my life hiding from everyone.  I’m not the most sociable of people.  Only to those I know and love.  Most of our pack is.  We keep to ourselves, don’t like new people and hardly ever venture out to other places.  We’re safe here. 
I was happy doing that until I found my dream on the internet.  An old bookstore in the western desert.  The building had history and was abandoned years ago.  I was drawn to it when I saw the photos.  Even my wolf showed an interest. 
I pestered my parents non stop for months.  Talked about it all the time and told them how important it is to not let things like this bookstore die.  The world needs books and I felt I should help protect them. 
After a rundown of my plans for the millionth time, they agreed.  My dad called the realtor and closed the deal over the phone.  The best part of the store is there’s an apartment above it in the 3 story office building, just for the owner.
Now, I’m driving to my new life.  It’ll take 3 days to get there.  Am I scared?  Heck yes!  I’m terrified, but if I want my dream to come true, I have to do it.
In order to do it, I had to apply to a pack in a town called Upton.  It’s a pack of 3000 and must be growing by the day, considering I had to wait three months for the approval to come.  The Alpha, Deacon Riley, sounds like a sound man.  He’s done a lot for the town since it was attacked fifteen years ago.  It has a history.  There’s tons of pictures of Deacon and he seems very upstanding and loves his pack. He’s also very good looking from what I can tell in the photos the press posts of him. 
He may be handsome, but I would never have an interest in him.  I don’t date very much.  Men intimidate me and my energy can’t take the attention.  I’ve had a couple of boyfriends, but they only wanted one thing from me.  They never understood me and we ended up breaking up over it.  That was a few years ago.  I’ve just avoided dating altogether since then. 
The town, itself, seems pretty quiet from the photos I saw, which is good for me.  I avoid big cities because they’re filled with too many people for my liking.  I’m a disaster when it comes to socializing at all.  A big introvert.  Give me a cozy fire and a book and I’m happy as a lark.  I never command attention or go out of my way looking for it.  My parents and two brothers are all the same.  Just cautious, quiet people.  So, me moving out west was a bit of a shock.  It shocked me too.
I’ve made some good time.  I’m on the two lane highway headed to the interstate.  I’m actually feeling pretty good.  I take off my glasses and put them on the passenger.  I can see for the most part, but my eyes tire quickly and then they start to shut down.  The glasses keep my eyes focused and ease the strain of use. 
I turn up the radio and smile.  One of my favorites was playing and I wanted to blast it.  My wolf spins in circles.  She’s happy too.  She’s almost dancing behind my ribs. 
I start singing to ‘Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cindy Lauper.  I take out my bun and fluff out my long, blonde hair.  My blue eyes watch the road as my pink converse sneaker increases the gas. 
My powder blue Prius turns the winding road between the tall trees as I start to dance in my seat.
Driving to my new life, I’m jamming it behind the wheel of tiny four banger.  I mean, hair flying and singing at the top of my lungs.  Just having the best time. 
I’m rocking it so much, that when I looked up, I was staring at the headlights of an oncoming truck blaring his horn.
I scream at the top of my lungs and swerve, my tires squeal as I slam the brakes.  My face fills with shock and fear as the truck narrowly misses my back end.
I look ahead and scream again.  My car is on a collision course for the trees on the side of the road.  Again, my tires squeal as I swerve then straighten out.  I huff breaths of panic as I correct my speed and regain control.  I fumble my glasses back on and turn the radio off. 
I’m shaking all over and I look over my shoulder.  “Sorry!  So sorry!”  I apologize to the truck who obviously isn’t there anymore or even hear me. 
I place my hands at a perfect 10 and 2 position on the wheel and blow out a breath.  Two hours into being on my own and I almost get myself killed.  I try to erase the thought that I’m making a huge mistake. 
“Craps on a cracker.”   I breathe as I try to calm my nerves. 

****

I pull my car off the interstate into a little gas station to get some food and gas. 
There’s a few cars pumping gas and a truck with three men standing around the side of it.  I feel their eyes as I fill my car.  I avoid eye contact at all costs.  I just try to do this as fast as I can.   Once I buy my provisions, I hold the paper bag in my arms as I exit the store and cross the pump bay.  I glance over and the men are smiling and whispering to each other.  I hug my bag tighter.
“Hey, baby.  Looking good.”  One of the men call out. 
This gets my heart racing and I walk even faster.
I watch two of them walk my way.  Crap!
“Come talk to us, sweetheart.”  Another yells. 
They cat call me even more as I put my bag in the back seat.  I shut the door and the men step into the gas bay on either side of me.  I let out a quiet whine and open my drivers door.
“Hey, beautiful.  Where you going?”  One man comes up behind me and the other is on the other side of my car.
I turn and give them a cautious look.  “I’m…I'm leaving.”  I get in and the man grabs my door. 
“We’re going to a party, want to come?”  He grins.
“No…No, thank you.”  I mutter as I pull the door.
He stops it.  “It’s just a little fun.  My friends and I think you’re hot.” 
“Uh…Thank you…No….Please let go…”  I shoot him a look.
“Come on, baby.  We’ll make sure you have a great time.”  He drawls as he leans on the door and eyes me like I’m dinner.
“Please let go.”  I squeak quietly as I tremble in my seat. 
“CLIVE!  YOU LET THE LADY GO!” 
I whip my head to the gas bar owner standing in the door to the store.  He crosses his arms with a threatening look on his face as he stares the men down.
I glance at Clive and grab my door handle.
“You’re missing a rocking time, sweetheart.”  He smirks.
“Thanks…for the invitation…”  I mumble and slam my door shut.  Instantly, I lock all the doors.  He backs away with his hands up.  I side eye his friend as he backs off as well.
I put the car in gear and drive my but out of there as fast as I can. 
Like I said, men intimidate me and men like that scare the crap out of me.   If this keeps up, I’m going to regret this.