Chapter 8

(Chapter song ‘Strip That Down’ by Liam Payne)
DEACON

Maybe the party was a bad idea, but there’s a silver lining here.  She loved the press conference.  I know she did.  The promotion of her store was a great idea.  Her heart stopping, beautiful smile was all I needed.  I could see she was happy about it even when she was yelling at me.  I was only trying to help make it fun and special.  Maybe I should have checked with her first.  I’ll remember that for next time. 
Right now?  I need to move to the next step.  I got her to smile at me which is a point scored as far as I’m concerned.  Now, I need her to trust me enough to get close.
She may not have liked the party with my pack, but she might enjoy something we could do together.  Just the two of us.  I think she’d appreciate some togetherness. 
I step onto the sidewalk and her front door is propped open.  It’s a hot one out here and damn…it’s a hot one in there, too.
I silently walk in and spy her tanned legs slightly crossed at the heels.  Her spankable ass is being hugged by a small, baby blue skirt.  Her curvy hips rock slowly from side to side.  Oh yes, baby, shake that ass.  I bite my lower lip as I walk slowly to her.
She’s leaning on the counter and  her fingernail is between her lips.  She’s reading and I’m wishing I was that finger.  There’s a stack of books beside her arm and a box.  I step to the side and see the rock hard abs on the cover of the book she’s reading.  A smirk crosses my lips.  I know what she’s reading.
Ever so quietly, I walk up behind her and lean to her sexy ear.  She’s so engrossed in her…literature…she doesn’t feel me behind her.
“Naughty girl.”  I drawl with a whisper. 
She yelps loud, jumps out of her skin and spins around.  It only makes me stifle a laugh.  She’s so fucking adorable when she’s surprised. 
“Don’t do that!”  She grinds,  holding her heart and then pulls up her glasses.  She hugs the book to her chest. 
“What’s the matter?  Did I catch your hand in the cookie jar?”  I smile and cross my arms.
“Cook…No!”  She looks down at her book and turns quickly.  She adds it to the pile and picks the pile up.  “You didn’t catch anything.”  She says with nervous smugness as she walks to a shelf.  I follow her.
She puts the books on the shelf and arranges them neatly.
I side eye the title.  “Right.”  I pick one up and read the cover.  “Romeo’s Revenge.”  I laugh.  “Ripped Romeo looks like a naughty cookie to me.” 
She narrows her eyes and snatches the book.  “No.  It has a beautiful storyline.”  She points the book at me. 
“Really.  I’m sure you just read it for the articles.”  I smirk and bounce my brow as her face turns to agitation.  A face I’m kind of getting use to seeing on a regular basis. 
“Yes, I do ‘read it for the articles',  if you must know.”  She sticks her nose up, pushes past me and walks to her counter.
I nod, pick up a book and flip through the pages.  I stop at an ‘article’.  I clear my throat and walk to her slowly as I read in a sultry voice.  “His hand slides up my thigh.  The feel of his strength between my legs has a fire burning at my core.  My mind begs him to touch it.” 
I glance up, mouth the words ‘so hot’ and scrunch my nose with a fake shiver.  She’s frozen, blinking at me.  Her cheeks turning pinker with every word.
I continue.  “His lips tease mine.  His hot breath makes my pussy so dripping wet, I can feel it soak through my panties.  My nails score his muscular chest as I fail to push him away.  ‘Tell me who killed Juliet.’  I could barely talk.  My lips trembled as his fingertips brushed the outside of my silk…”
I drop the book on the counter, lean my hands on it and shoot her a look.  I slyly adjust myself because, damn.  “That’s quite the article.”  I smirk. 
She falters a giggle and tries to protect her sensitivities which is cute as hell.  Her cheeks heat more and I keep locking her eyes with my stare. 
“Well…I-It’s…”
I raise my chin.  “It’s…” 
“I flip past those pages.  I only read it for the plot.”  She waves me off and leaves for the shelves.
“Oh, please!  All these books are is porn for woman.”  I laugh.
“What?”  She says with nervous shock.  “No, it’s not.” 
“It may not have the photos, but the imagery is pretty vivid.  You have to admit that.”  I say as I approach her. 
“Yes…”  She nods.  “It can be…”  She stops at a shelf and I lean my shoulder on it, reading her expressions.
I snap my fingers and point in her face.  “Ha!  You do read the porn.” 
She glares at me.  “It’s not porn!”  She clutches her neck and walks away.  “They’re beautiful stories about…love…devotion…” 
“Muscle bound Adonis’ having you every which way possible without the fear and guilt.”  I suggest with sarcasm.  “Hey, I’m not knocking it.  If Angry Romeo wants to bang the Lady in Waiting, all the power to him.  Just admit you like to watch.” 
She scrunches her brow.  Her head shakes as she spits her irritated words.  “Oof…what do you want?” 
“Besides seeing how many shades of red you can turn?”  I grin. 
“Yes.”  She heaves a breath and clenches. 
I lean further onto the counter with my arms tucked under my chest.  “Alright.  Here’s the thing.  I feel bad.” 
She arches a brow.  “You feel bad.”
“Yes.  I feel bad.  I wanted to make your store opening nice and that didn’t happen so, I’m here today to say…Do over.”  I look at her and smile. 
“Do over.”  She blinks.  Her arms hug her book more.
I motion a hand to her.  “Right.  You and me.  We do something together.  Just us.” 
She narrows her eyes.  “What.”
I give a little jump forward.  “It’s a surprise.”  I smirk, say low and pull back. 
“No.  I don’t like surprises.”  She shakes her head and walks away.
“But it’s a nice, fun surprise.”  I chase her.
“No, Deacon.  Tell me or I won’t consider it.”  She says over her shoulder. 
“OK, fine.  I want to take you on a drive to…get a feel of our culture here in Upton.”  I stuff my hands in my pockets and watch her response.
“Culture?”  She turns on her toes and tilts her head.  She squints her eyes.  “What kind of Culture?”
I walk up close.  “How do you feel about car races?”
Her lips tick down and she looks at me with suspicion.
“Come with me.”  I hold out my hand to her. 
“I don’t know…”  She glances around her store.
I tilt my head to her.  “Trust me.  It’ll be fun.” 
“You want to take me to watch a car race?”  She questions.
“Sure.”  I grin.  “Why not?”
“My store…”  She says, quietly.
“It’ll only be an hour or so.  You can…go on a lunch break.”  I hold out my hand further.
“You’ll stay with me?”  She looks nervous.
I nod.  “The whole time.”  I reassure.
She glances at the table beside her, hesitantly,  puts her book down.  “O-Ok.”  She gently slides her hand into mine.  Her hands are a little clammy, but under that is a curious electric pulse that seems to fill mine.  It shocks me a first, but then it feels nice and makes me smile.  She gives a little smile back.
She’s so scared, I feel it in her.  If she can trust that I would never do anything to hurt her, I bet she’d let go of it all for me so I can see who she really is.  Maybe this date will help. 
I lead her out of the store and she locks up.  She turns and her face falls.  “That’s…um…That’s an interesting automobile.”  She stands like stone as she eyes my matte black truck with roll cage, push bar and 30 inch all terrain tires.  It’s also jacked to the nines with a lift kit, independent suspension and four flood lamps on the roof.  The word “Baja"  is stickered onto the side of the bed in splash paint green font. 
“It’s a pet project of mine.  I race it on occasion.”  I say as I walk to the passenger door and open it to my black interior. The seats are sport buckets. 
“Is this even street legal?”  She asks.
“Well, since they’re my streets, I guess the answer is yes.”  I smirk and place her in her seat.  “Spread em.”  I tap her knee. 
“Excuse me?”  She scowls.
“For the seatbelt, weirdo.”  I laugh. 
She looks down and spreads her knees.  I hook up the five point seatbelt for her. 
“This isn’t normal…”  She starts.
“Can’t be too safe.”  I smile. 
“No.  I guess you can’t.”  She mumbles with caution in her tone. 
“Relax.  It’s fine.”  I nod. 
I shut her door and run around to the drivers side.  I get in and buckle up.  “Ready?”
She turns to me.  “No.”
“Yeah, you are.”  I smirk and turn the key.  The truck rumbles to life.  “This’ll be fun.”  I say again as I put it in drive and take off for the Baja races.  My engine roars down the street.
Jenny looks even more nervous.
I drive through town and see other racers heading where we are.  I love the Baja so much.  If I could do that full time, I would.  Something about powerful machines commanding the desert sand just excites the shit out of me. 
Outside of town is the vast desert of Southern USA.  It’s not a total desert.  You can build a solid track here, but you also have some awesome loose sand too.  Small bushes and cacti make great obstacles and turns.  Then there’s the rocks.  A rock climber is my next project. 
A desert’s only boring if you make boring.  I don’t.  It’s my mission to make everything I do fun. 
As I see the heat from the crowds and cars, I smile.  On to my surprise. 
There’s tailgate parties, food, drink and music.  My pack is having a great time.  Everyone is so excited.  We hold these races once a month and this will be Jenny’s first.  I’m fucking giddy inside that she’s here with me for them.
The course isn’t a professional Baja course.  It’s just for fun and something to bring the pack together.  It’s a short course of obstacles, bumps, sand and mud.  It’s exciting, but not the level of professionals.  Those have killed my truck more times than I can count.  I haven’t finished the 1000 solidly in years.  Maybe this year might be different?
Right now, I get my kicks on the Upton Baja rally course.  I think Jenny will like it.  It’s really just an off road course with a Baja heart.
I turn into the event area.  It’s all cornered off with pop up tents, tables and people everywhere.  We have an established parking lot to the left and racers head to the back. 
“There’s a lot of people here.”  She squeaks as she nervously looks out the window.
I drive to the parking lot.  “Yep.  The whole packs here, it looks like.”
She turns to me.  “You promise you won’t leave me?”
I turn to her and smile.  “Not a chance.”  I say.
She nods and turns back to her window. 
People are dancing around, preparing flags and other merchandise.   The beer is definitely flowing right. 
I love it all.