Chapter 29

(Chapter song ‘Your Woman’ by White town, ‘Holding Out For A Hero' by Bonnie Tyler)
SELINE

I sat on a chair as sounds of incessant pounding on my shield come from outside.
My little takeover has been discovered.  I fold my arms and cross my legs as I watch the front door intently.  Helos better come soon before my spells wear off. 
The rogues scream in rage from the property and I can only feel pity for them.  They don’t know who they’re involved with.  They won’t realize that once he’s done or when they don’t fit with his plan, he will hang them, drive a stake into their hearts and burn them beyond recognition.  The minute you are no longer useful or get in his way, he disposes of you like you didn’t mean anything. 
I chew my lip and fix my dress.  He has to come.  He should see this.  I inspect my nails and fix my hair.
‘That’s so sad.’
I stop and fold my hands in my lap.  “Yes, well.  Water under the bridge, I guess.” 
‘You loved him?’
I drop my eyes to my hands and twist my fingers.  “You weren’t supposed to feel that.”
‘Well, I did.  Did you?’
“For a time.  Until he turned out to be a narcissistic opportunist.”  I get up and pace around the room.  I stop at the fireplace and look at myself in the mirror above it.  “He…changed.”
‘He broke your trust.  Didn’t protect you.’
I give a smile in the reflection.  “He didn’t understand.  My loyalties were real.  He thought he could manipulate me.  When I pushed back…”  I turn and lean my back on the mantle. 
‘I’m sorry.  No one should have their love thrown back at them at them like that.’
I hold myself.  “I’m not evil despite my actions.  I just hate him so much.” 
‘I get that…just…is this the way?  Maybe we should…take a step back.  Think this through.’
I turn back around.  “No.  Helos has to pay for what he did.”
Sounds of desperation come from outside.  Barks, yelps and growling grow as I step to the hallway.
‘Is that Helos?’
It sounds like fighting.  A war building right outside the door.  “No.  This is something else.”  I mutter as I walk to the door. 
I reach for the handle and pull it open.  My ears explode in rabid sounds of death. 
I look out to hundreds of rogues running from right to left in front of me just outside the barrier.  I step out onto the porch and see the trees of the forest whip violently.  Howls and sounds of hellhounds fill the air.  Then the breach. 
Wolves of all sorts of colors, pour out of the trunks and attack the rogues. 
‘Deacon.’
“Your man.  He certainly is resilient.”  I smirk.
‘He keeps his vows.’ 
I didn’t think I’d ever be jealous of this tiny, weak woman, but seeing this makes the hole in my chest burn. 
As I absorb the sight, a chill runs through me as magic flies out of the trees.  It hits the rogues and they’re thrown through air.  Some explode the ground, some kill. 
I step back.  “He’s here.”  I breathe. 
I watch the Sorcerers Council step out of the trees in a line.  Each throwing different colors of light at the attacking army. 
The rogues push back like waves beating the rocks as they try to take down the Alliance fighters. 
Azriel throws wolves while Euris rips up large rocks and throws them into the middle of the sick dogs. 
Windum practically dances as he shoots his magic and Catherine pummels the enemy with her red balls. 
Raymond touches a rogues head and manipulates his mind.  The rogue turns and starts to attack his brother.  Raymond walks through the battle building his own army to defend. 
“OK.  Time to leave.”  I back up and hit a wall behind me.  I yelp and turn. 
His ice blue eyes stare into mine.  He lowers his dark hood and glares.  “I thought I killed you.” He growls. 
My eyes widen as he reaches for me.  “Helos.”  I slam my hands on his chest and fire.  The connection explodes and he is thrown into the house.  I fly over the porch, past my barrier and onto the grass.  I bounce and roll. 
I whip my head up and look to the house.  Helos gets to his feet.  I lift my hand and the door slams shut. 
“JENNIFER!”
I turn to the battle and seen Deacon running to me.  I scramble to my feet and run away from him. 
‘What are you doing?!  Go back!’
“No!  They’ll lock me up again!  I won’t go back!”  I pant as I run through the trees away from the house and the fights. 
“JENNY, STOP!!”
I look behind me.  “STAY AWAY FROM ME!” 
I reach behind me and fire magic.  It hits him and he flies back.  He lands on the ground and I stop. 
He gets up.  “Jenn…it’s me…”  He groans. 
I place my hands close together and whisper words.  The white ball grows between my palms. 
‘What are you doing?’
“Taking us somewhere else!” 
The wind blows and the white light consumes us.  The area shakes and I feel the pull.  I pull my hands apart and the white ball grows bigger.
“NOOOOO!” 
I look up and Deacon enters my space.  He wraps his arms around me.  “Gotcha.”  He grins and kisses me hard as our bodies are pulled out of reality. 

**** 

DEACON

A loud zap and Jenny and I are thrown through the white light onto a hard floor.  I roll and groan at the throbbing pain all over my body. 
“You idiot!  What did you do?!”
I lift my head and look around.  I plant my hands and jump to my feet.  “I’m not sure, but I think it has something to do with this.”  I reach into a pocket of my wolf pack and pull out the key.
She steps forward as I look around.  We’re in the library which is what I was thinking at the time I kissed her.  I wanted some place safe and quiet to talk and try to ‘exercise' my girlfriend.  I didn’t think it would work, but I had a feeling this key is like a programmable navigation.  It collects the destination from the holders thoughts. 
“Where did you get that?”  She grits at me. 
I walk up to her and tick the tick.  “Your clothes you shredded.  I knew it would come in handy.”  I grin. 
“Give me that.”  She takes a swipe at my hand and I pull it back.
I raise a finger.  “Eh!  Let her go.”  I point in her face.
“No.” 
I dump the key back in my pack.  “I’m not playing.  Let her go.” 
“Ugh…I don’t have time for you.”  She flicks her wrist and I fly across the room.  I hit a shelf and a table full of tools and scrolls.  The table collapses and I hit the floor. 
I groan again.  As I get up, I see a rod.  I may need that.  I pick up and stumble out of the mess.  I lift my chin and strut like she didn’t just kick my ass.  “OK.  This is the game you want to play?  I’ll play.” 
“Oh, please.”  She says and flicks her hand again. 
Again, I'm flung across the floor.  I hit a wall and roll to my stomach.  I’m not going down easy. 
I stand and crack my aching back.  “Why don’t you fight like the bitch you are?”  I growl. 
She turns to me and crosses her arms.  “Is that any way to talk to your girlfriend?” 
I walk to her and smirk, shaking the rod in my hand at her.  “You’re not my girlfriend, but she’s in there.  If I have to force you out, I will.”
She throws her hand up to toss magic, but I block it and bring the rod down across her cheek.
I walk around in a circle and face her.  I blow out a breath.  That hurt me right in the heart.  I lift the rod to her.  “Let her go.” 
“Deacon…Deacon…Deacon.”   She wipes the corner of her mouth and ticks the corner of her mouth up. 
“Let her go.”  I warn sternly as I twirl the rod in my hand.  I side step the circle she’s creating. 
“You realize I could turn you inside out and obliterate your dick.”  She grins. 
I nod in agreement.  “Yep…I know…You can let her go now.” 
“Look at you with the big balls.”  She laughs. 
We walk around each other, waiting for one of us to make a move. 
“I will only say this once more…Let…Her…Go!!”  I growl deep and grip the rod at the ready.
She stops, tilts her head forward and glares at me.  “Never.”  She hisses.  “She’s mine.”
This enrages me.  “No, she’s mine!!”  I lunge in the air and bring the rod down on her head.  She crashes to the floor, her head whips toward me and her hand flies up.  She shoots me in the chest with a red ball and I fly across the room hitting shelf. 
I lay there for a minute as my ribs throb.  “New rule….No magic balls.”  I groan into my arms. 
I stand up and pick up my rod.  It’s metal end scraps across the floor, I’m that fucking hurt.  She stands and blows her hair out of her face.  Her nose, cheek and lip is busted open.  I can see bruises growing. 
“I’m sorry, baby.”  I whine.  “So fucking sorry.”  It kills me that I have to hurt her. 
“Don’t worry.  The scaredy cat didn’t feel a thing.  I’m protecting her from you and your violence.”  She sneers. 
I place the end of the rod to my chest as my brows go up.  “My violence?”  I point the rod to her.  “What about you?  Kidnapping, destroying things, rogues.  What’s next?  Fires and brimstone?  I love her, you’re using her.” 
“No!  I’m saving her!”  She snaps. 
“From what?!”  I yell back. 
“From…”  She starts. 
“From me.” 
I turn around and confusion fills my face.  “Euris?” 
He lifts his hand and I’m lifted up and slammed into the balcony above us then slammed into the floor.
“Alright.”  I struggle.  “I’m really getting sick and tired of being tossed around.” 
“Then leave.”  Euris says.
I roll my head to Jenny who looks absolutely freaked out.  She looks at Euris then to me with fear. 
I think I got it.  “I will.”  I stand and turn to him.  “When I get my Jenny back.”  I puff out my broken chest and pretend I don’t feel run over by a Mack truck. 
“Your Jenny.”  He laughs.  He glances at her.  “Seems my Seline has taken ownership.”  He stands smugly. 
I fire daggers.  “IF I HAVE TO KICK YOUR GIRL’S ASS TO GET MINE BACK, I WILL!”
“I don’t bloody well think so.”  He throws his hand up and hits me with magic.  I hit a pillar and land on the floor.  “Please…”  My face is pained as I stand up slowly.  “Please tell me that’s all you got.”
“No, you stupid boy.”  He smirks and grows another ball in his hand.  “I’m not even warmed up.” 
“Fucking great.”  I whine. 
He throws the ball and I leap into the air, tear out my clothes and shift.  My wolf plants his feet on the pillar and pushes off with all his power.  He jumps over the ball with jaws wide open, letting out a loud Alpha growl.
The ball explodes on the pillar, taking a chunk off it as I land on Euris.  My wolf snaps relentlessly as he holds his cheeks. 
He blasts me off and I slide across the floor, hitting a shelf. 
My wolf recovers and jumps at him again.  
He whips out his hand and hits me with a yellow ball.
“Deacon!”  Seline yells as I’m tossed back toward a shelf with a bunch of bottles and junk on it.  I land on my ass and shift as few bottle fall on me. 
“Now, Seline.  We need to talk.”  Euris says. 
“There’s nothing to talk about.”  Seline says. 
I pick up a couple of bottles and look at them. The Shamans vault.  I remember all the times running into the Shaman and remember these bottles. I palm a couple and I raise myself to peek over the table.  Euris is stalking Seline as she readies her magic. 
“There’s no need to cower, Seline.  You’re already dead.”  He smirks.
“Because of you.”  She growls. 
My eyes widen.  What?
“Yes.”  He lowers his head as he walks.  “It was unfortunate, but you broke the rules, darling.  I couldn’t let that pass.” 
“You don’t need to lie, Euris.  As you say, im already dead.”  Seline grits. 
“I do believe you’re right.  You’re dead, but he isn’t.”  He raises a finger and points to me as I stand up quick. 
He throws a ball and I leap out the way, throwing a vial at the same time which smashes and explodes at his feet.
I hit the floor and Euris crashes into a table and his body topples it over.
I raise my head and lift my brows.  “Cool.” 
I quickly scramble and scoop vials into my pack, I throw the strap over my arm and run to Seline.  “Time to go!” 
I grab her hand and the table explodes.  We jump out the way and it crashes into a pillar. 
Euris rises.  His suit is tore up and he looks pissed. 
I throw Seline behind me and slide my pack to the front.  I pull out a bottle with green liquid.  I throw it and it smashes.  Vines grow from the floor and tangle him up.
“Super cool.”  I grin sadistically. 
“Another one!  Throw another!”  She pushes on me as Euris holds the vines and they start to burn with red hot embers. 
“Shit.”  I search my bag.  I pull out one.  “Red?”
“Sure.  That’s good.”  She shrugs and nods fast. 
I throw it and he’s engulfed in red smoke that turns into a six foot tornado. 
The wind blows shit around as I grab Selines hand.  “Come on!”  We run for the door and out of nowhere a table smashes in front of it.
“Fuck!  This way!”  I drag her down the hallway. 
We sprint as fast as we can down the never ending corridor. 
“YOU’RE DEAD, SELINE!”  Euris' bellow echoes around us.  He’s in hot pursuit.
“I LOVE YOUR TASTE IN MEN!!”  I yell as I spin and throw more bottles.  A rainbow of smoke fills the hall.  Roars and sounds of fighting come from the cloud.  Red magic light explodes and he bursts out like an animal and throws magic our way.  Crap!  I turn back and run.
“SHUT UP!  YOU’RE NOT PERFECT!”  She yells.
“Yeah, but I won’t try to kill you…TWICE!”  I see a corner and grab her arm.  She yelps as I yank her down it. 
We make a few more turns and I stop to try doors.  Seline leans on the wall to catch her breath. 
Each door is locked.  “Come on…”  I grit.  I jog back up to her. 
“We need a place to hide.  I’m out of ammo.”  I pant. 
She pushes off and looks around.  “Here.” 
I look as she walks down the hall and moves the stone pillar to the side like its on gliders.
I point.  “What?!” 
“Shortcut.”  She shrugs. 
“There is not enough alcohol in the world for this place.”  I flop my arms to my sides.
She grabs my arm.  “Let’s go.” 
We duck into a really small passage way and Seline moves another pillar at the other end. 
We duck and the pillar disintegrates in a blast that has Seline scream and we both shield ourselves.
“I wanted to hide not die!”  I yell.
“SORRY!” 
Seline calls her magic and throws it Euris who throws his own ball.  The two explode in the middle. 
I see stairs at the end.  “Run!”
She throws more, turns and runs behind me. 
Euris is black with soot and as pissed as a bull seeing red.  He rages as he runs for us.
We get to the second level and across the balcony.  A shelf is thrown across the second stairs, blocking us.
We stop and turn.
Euris stands with his hands glowing.  His shoulders heave. 
“I knew I should have taken over instead of Cedric.”  He heaves. 
“Cedric was a traveler, Euris.  You don’t have the talent.”  Seline says from behind my arm.
My wolf growls and my eyes glow gold. 
“Oh stop, you pathetic dog.”  He scrunches his face.  “I’ll feed you to Lefu, like I did Cedric.” 
“You…You had Cedric killed?”  Seline says quietly.
“I never ordered it, I just told the vamp where his blade was.  What he did with that information was not my business.  Though I suspected he would.  I just wanted him out of the way.  The idiot wasn’t supposed to lose control.”  His dirt covered face grinned as he fixed his disheveled hair.  “No matter.  Thanks to the dumb Alpha bringing the key, I can take the vault.” 
“What’s wrong with you?”  I scowl.
“You are standing in a room filled to the rafters with power and you wonder what’s wrong with me?  You really are a dumb, stupid beast.”  He throws a ball and I shove Seline out of the way.
I shift and my wolf leaps.  He runs across the side of shelves standing in the middle of the floor as Euris explodes them at my back paws.  When I’m lined up with him, I push off and close the distance in the air. 
My wolf slams onto Euris and we flip over the railing. 
The fall feels like forever.
“DEACON!”
I grab Euris by the head and twist.  His body hits a table, bounces off it and I ride the fucker like a dune board.  Once on the floor, I land on my paws and shake my head.  His head separates and his body rolls to a pillar and rests.  Blood pools around his open neck.
My wolf is pumped with adrenaline and breathing heavy as he spits the head out. 
“Deacon.”
He looks up at Jenny and starts to pant.  She runs down the steps and bolts across the floor. 
She throws her arms around me and my wolf hugs her back.  I shift and wrap both arms around her. 
“Thank you.”  She whispers.
“You’re welcome.”  I whisper back. 
She pulls back.  “Deacon?”  I know that squeak.
I smile and look her over.  “Jenny?
She nods as tears fall. 
I slam my lips into her and kiss her with everything I got.  Her electric feel seems twice as strong and my desire for her is like nothing I ever felt.  I don’t know if it’s my relief or something else, but fuck it feels good to hold her again. 
“God…”  I say in between kisses.  “I missed you…thank God…I love you…so fucking much…”  I pull her back.  “Wait.  Where’s Seline?”
“She’s in here.  Dea.  There’s a problem.”  Her face falls.
“What problem?”  I furrow my brow. 
“I can answer that.”  I look behind Jenny as Azriel enters the library with the council behind him. 
I look to Jenny.  “Why do I get the feeling this isn’t over?”