Chapter 11

(Chapter song ‘Just The Two Of Us' by Grover Washington Jr., ‘Happiness Is A Butterfly' by Lana Del Rey)
DEACON

This is good.  This is perfect.  Jenny is happy and we are set to have a perfect dinner date.  I planned everything.  A nice three course meal, some soft music for a little swaying.  Hopefully, if things go my way, I make my little bookworm sing all night long. 
I’m actually a little nervous.  I’ve never been nervous before a date before.  It’s a weird feeling.  I just want this so bad.  Jenny is definitely not just any girl.  She’s something I need to work really hard for and I love that about her. 
I look at my watch.  Five after nine.  I wait at the bottom of the stairs for my princess to come down so I can whisk her away to a magical night.  I pace around, stop at a shelf of books and flip one open.  It’s a book about teen detectives.  I chuckle at the ridiculousness of it and close it back up. 
I hear the click of heels as the door opens upstairs.  I turn and walk to the bottom step. 
My face softens as my air is taken away.  Her beautiful legs take each stair and my eyes follow them to a soft pink, baby doll dress that stops mid thigh.  Her shoulders are bare and her breasts are hugged so nicely in the top.  I bite my lip at the cleavage lines.  Damn, girl.  She’s fucking killing me here. 
Her hair is pinned up with wisps of light curls framing her face.  She’s wearing pink rimmed glasses and I smile at how fucking adorable she is.  Her blonde hair shines in the pale light and her big, blue eyes are so gorgeous, I could get lost in them forever.  My wolf is howling in my ribs as I watch her walk down to me.  Her pink, pouty lips smile as her strappy heels hit the floor in front of me.
I look her over.  “You look…”
“Hot.”  She interrupts with a slight giggle.
I tilt my head to the side.  “Absolutely beautiful.” 
I see her cheeks flush and she smiles at the floor.  I’ve embarrassed her yet again, but I’m not sorry in the slightest.  She’s my angel tonight and I’ll tell her every minute. 
“You look hot.”  She grins.
I adjust my suit jacket and run a hand down my button down.  “I clean up nice.”  I say smugly.
She laughs as I hold out my arm.  “Your chariot awaits.”  I motion to the door.
“Thank you.”  She says in a sweet, quiet voice.  I can tell I’m scoring some major points here.  Keep going, Dea.
I escort her outside and to my purple mustang waiting on the street.
“No truck?”  She asks.
I shrug.  “I only use that for really special occasions.  You get the stang.”  I chuckle and open the door for her. 
“I like this better.”  She gets in and I buckle her belt for her. 
“I aim to please.”  I grin and move in for a light kiss.  She doesn’t back away. 
I pull away let out a satisfying sigh as I gaze into her eyes.  I shut her door, run around and get in. 
I put the car in drive and hit the gas.  In the corner of my eye, I see her stiffen a bit, then relax.  The corner of her lips tick up as she watches out the windshield.  My girl loves her speed.  Good to know. 
“So.  I want you to relax and have a nice time.  If you need anything, just let me know.  You’re my first priority tonight.  It’s all about you, OK?”
She glances at me.  “Alright.”  She says quietly. 
I can’t tell if I’m actually impressing her, but I guess I’ll find out soon.
After about fifteen minutes, I pull into the driveway to my pack house.  I park, get out and run around to her door.  I open it and hold out my hand to help her out.
“Thank you.”  She says.
“Don’t thank me yet.”  I lean to her then escort her to the door. 
The house is partially dark.  The only lights on are in the dining hall. 
I pull out my phone and turn on the music from the houses built in stereo system.  It’s soft, romantic music and I see her face light up.
“You like?”
“Yes.”  She nods. 
“Good.  There’s more.”  I direct her to the dining hall.
We walk in and I have the pot lights dimmed and a table close to the kitchen is done right up with white table clothes, napkins and sparkling place settings.  Wine is chilling beside the table and the chairs are covered in white covers with bows on the back.
“Deacon…”  She breathes. 
“Only the best.”  I drawl and lead her to her chair.  “I hope you like lobster.”  I say as I sit her down and shuffle her in.
“I love lobster.  How did you…”
“Just a guess.”  I chuckle as I take off my jacket and sit.  I look to the kitchen and lift a finger to signal we’re ready. 
She looks around.  “This is beautiful house.”
“I’ll give you a tour sometime."  I pour her a glass and the staff brings out our dinners.  The lobster bisque smells so good. 
“How long have you been Alpha?”  She raises her glass to her full lips and I just take her in.
“I took over at 18.  Mom and Dad moved to Florida.  They come visit every once in a while, but I’ve been pretty much on my own since then.”  I pour my glass.
She dips her fork in and puts it in her mouth.  “Goodness…this is good.”  Her eyes widen as she chews. 
“We have really good chefs here.  I’ll extend your compliments.”  I smile before I take a bite.
“This isn’t something I expected.  It’s nice.”  She takes a drink.
“I know so far hasn’t been ideal, but I can be private when I want to be.  I just want you to be comfortable.  I’m learning.”  I laugh a little but before taking another bite.
“Yes, you are.”  She agrees. 
The candle light dances on her skin and I didn’t think she could get more hot, but my god, I’m in complete heaven. 
“So…”  I begin as I wipe my mouth.  “Tell me about Jennifer.  I want to know everything.”
“Oh…You don’t want to know about me.”  She giggles a bit.  I can feel her anxiousness.
“No, really.  I’m interested in how a librarian ended up in a pack like mine.  Did you know?”
“No.  Not at all.  Your pack outline doesn’t mention how…flamboyant your pack is.”  She shakes her head as she eats her food. 
“Would you have come had you known?”  I lean on the table as I wait for an answer.
She flicks her gaze at me a couple tomes.  “Um…I think so.  The store is amazing.”
“It’s amazing because of you.”  I tilt my head to her.
“Stop.”  She giggles as her cheeks burn.
“I’ve embarrassed you.  I’m sorry.”  I whisper.
“I'm…getting used to it.”  Her eyes meet mine. 
“You really are beautiful, Jennifer.  I’ve never met any like you.  I’ve never wanted to know so much about a person before.”  I say as sweet as I can.
“Now, you’re really making me blush.”  She shies.
“It’s my favorite thing to do.”  I can’t help but preen at that.
“I’m starting to see that.”  Our eyes lock and I think it’s time to have a little fun. 
I wipe my mouth again and stand.  “Dance with me.”  I hold out my hand to her. 
She looks around the room like it’s filled with people. 
“It’s OK.  I won’t judge.  I promise.” 
She tucks a curl behind her ear, gently places her hand in mine and stands.  I lead her to an open space and I take her in my arms.  The music is slow and perfect.  I lead the dance with her hand in mine and my arm around her waist.  She looks down at my chest and I put a knuckle under her chin.  I raise her eyes to me.  “Don’t shy.  Look in my eyes.  There’s no need to hide from me.”  I place my forehead on hers and stare at her as we sway in our spot.  I dance her around and she laughs as I spin us in the spot.  She lowers her eyes, hesitates a bit, then lays her head on my chest.
I rest my head on hers and close my eyes.  Yes.  This is what I wanted.  I wanted to make her feel safe with me.  The feel of her on me just made my heart swell.  I kiss her hair as the song ends.  I stop the dance and she lifts her head to me.  I lean in and place my lips on hers.  I ask for entrance and her lips part.  I feel like I’m tasting her for the first time.  I can’t get enough.  My hand slides behind her head and I up the passion.  She quietly moans on my lips. 
I part the kiss.  “You ready for desert?” 
Her bottom lip slightly trembles.  “Yes.”  She says quietly. 
“I hope you like pudding.”  I say in a sultry tone.  She laughs and so do I.  I tick my head to the table.  “Come on.” 
The rest of the dinner went fabulously.  I learned a bit about her family and hometown.  She’s so small and sweet.  I can’t believe how much she interests me.  I don’t want this night to end. 
“I hope I’m doing OK.”  I say as the staff clear our plates.
“I will admit, I had my apprehensions, but this was so beautiful.  I loved it.  Thank you.”  She leans on the table and smiles. 
“You’re welcome.”  I smile back.
“YO, DEA!”
Our heads whip to the common room as the front door bursts open. 
“Eric?”  I scrunch my brow and stand. 
My friend and race competitor walks in with a cooler.  “What are you doing?  Everyone’s here?”
I look at him confused.  “Everyone’s here?”
Laughter, talking and loud steps come through the front door as the house starts to fill with people. 
“Dude.  You’re victory party?”  He arches a brow.
“Oh shit!”  My eyes shoot up and I turn to Jenny who’s now in full on panic mode.  I rush to her and squat down.  “I’m so sorry…um…Alex, my beta.  He planned a party here and I completely forgot.” 
“You…forgot?”  She squeaks.
“Baby.  It’s fine ok.  I’ll just say hi and shake a few hands, then we’ll go.  Just trust me.  It’s fine.”  I grab her hands in mine and I feel her insecurities building. I stand and walk to Eric.  “Hey, keep it in the common room for now, OK.”
“Who’s the girl?”  He looks at Jenny.
“A really good friend.  Just keep the party out there.”  I turn him around and push him out to the common room.
Fuck.  I didn’t want this.  Not tonight.  I can’t believe I forgot. 
“Okay, but hurry.  Beers getting warm.”  He smirks and struts into the other room. 
I shake my head and turn back to Jenny.  “You know what, let’s go.  We don’t need to be here.  This is our night.”  I reach for her hands and stand with her.
“N-No…It’s OK.  You won the races, you should celebrate.”  I see her force a small smile.
“Jenny, I told you I didn’t want you to be uncomfortable.”  I search her face for the feelings she’s hiding. 
“I’m fine.  It…might be nice to meet your friends.  We can…spend time together another time.”  She nods.
“OK.  If you want to go home at any point, you tell me, got it.”  I make sure she understands that I’m going with it, but only because she wants me to.
She presses her lips together and nods.  I lace my fingers in hers.  “OK.  Let’s go have some fun.” 
Spontaneous parties are actually a common thing here.  Usually, I’m the one making the out of the blue call, but this is Alex’s party.  I have to keep in mind that I’m not really obligated to be here, but if Jenny wants to meet new people, who am I to deny that?  I think it would be good for her.
“Just relax and have fun.  They’re really good people.”  I say as the music changes to dance music and the room yells in response.  I lean to her.  “Sorry.  We can get a bit loud.”  I yell in her ear. 
Someone messes with the lights and turns on my color filled lights. 
More people are coming into the house as I weave us through the crowd.  “Alex!”  I yell with my hand to the side of my mouth.
“The man of the hour!!”  Alex yells back.  He’s laughing in a group of guys.  I’m pulling Jenny behind me. 
I side clap him when I get close.  “Awesome party.” 
“Awesome party for an awesome guy.”  He grins then turns his attention to Jenny.  “You have a date?” 
I smile and rub my nape.  “Just dinner.  No big deal.”  I glance at Jenny and she smiles back.  “Jennifer Clark.  Alex Donald.”  I introduce. 
Alex reaches out his hand.  “Nice to finally meet you.”
“Nice to meet you too.”  Jenny says.  Her voice is barely audible over the music.
Alex hits my chest.  “Hey.  The Alpha from Cambridge is here.  He got your message about the rebuilds.”
“No, shit.  Really?  Where?”  I look over the heads of socialites and party nuts. 
“Over there.”  Alex points. 
I need to talk with this guy.  This is great news.  I turn to Jenny.  “Stay with Alex.  I’ll be right back.  I promise.” 
“U-Uh…OK.”  She flicks her eyes to Alex.  I can see she’s a little nervous about him.
“5 minutes.”  I hold her cheeks and kiss her forehead.  “I’ll be right back.”  I say as I turn and push through the crowd.

****

JENNY

I’m screaming inside.  My body is going through all kinds of anxieties.  I feel hot, sick, nervous and scared all in a big bundle of social fear.  I want to tell Deacon that I want to cry, but I don’t want to take this away from him. 
Sure, he should have known about this, but I can only assume that he was so preoccupied with us, he truly forgot. 
I take a deep breath in and try to calm my phobia.  I can do this. 
My eyes scan people laughing, drinking, talking and dancing in large groups around me.  If I was a party girl, I’d love this, but I’m nowhere near that level of social aptitude. 
I decide to focus on Alex.  I’ll pretend he’s the only one here, as hard as that will be.  My eyes keep flicking to where Deacon left me, hoping to see him come back soon. 
“So, how long have you known Deacon?!”  I ask loudly.
“Um…Just over forty years.”  He responds. 
“Wow.  That’s a long friendship.”  I smile a bit.
“Deacons a friendly guy.  He’d give you the shirt off his back, ya know.”  Alex says.
“Yeah.”  I breathe as I patiently wait.  I listen to the music and bounce a little.  I’m trying even though I’m dying inside.  My introvert is looking for any place to hide right now.
I hear a bunch of yelling coming from a corner on the other side of the room.  I stand on my toes to see what the excitement is about. 
“DEA!  THIS GUY’S NEVER HEARD THE CALIFORNIA STORY!”  I hear someone shout. 
I hear the level of voices increase as Deacon is egged on.  His large pack house all of a sudden felt very small.
“You guys don’t want to hear that again!”  He yells with a smile. 
The party hollers.  “DEACON!  DEACON!”
I cover my ear slightly as they chant his name. 
Alex leans to me.  “This is a great story.  Come on.” 
“Uh…OK.”  I say meekly.
He waves me into the crowd and I was trying to follow, but we got separated as he enthusiastically pushed through, leaving me behind.  I try not to bump people as my heart races.  A lump develops in my throat and I feel claustrophobia creep in.  I try to get through, but it’s like trying to walk through a wall.  It’s like no one sees me here.  The level of invisibility I’m feeling is high right now and Deacon is oblivious to it. 
It was nice being the center of his world, but it seems that I had it backwards.  He’s the center of mine and I’m trying to get close, but it looks like his world is just too big for me. 
I’m knocked by a few shoulders and stumble a bit.
They chant and Deacon puts his hands in the air and laughs. “OKAY! OKAY!”  The crowd WOOs.  He starts his story and all I can do is pray he suddenly remembers I exist. 
“Pardon me…”  I hear in my ear.  I look over my shoulder and step aside as a guy, dragging a girl behind him, pushes past me to the growing crowd, separating me from him.
“Sorry.”  I mumble as I stumble back a few more steps.  I feel like I’m being pulled out by an undertow of popularity. 
I watch as Deacon shares his story to his friends.  They hang off his every word as I’m absorbed into the background.
This is the orbit of Deacon Riley.  The only place I can sit is looking from a far.
I hold myself and lean on a wall.  People rush past me and all around me.  Does he even know I’m gone?
The crowd bursts into laughter and I lower my head.
I guess not. 
I turn and walk to the back area to find a door.  Deacon drove me here, I wanted to leave, but I guess I’ll settle for some air until he’s ready to take me home. 
I hear more laughter behind me as I leave out the back door and I hear Deacon yell to them.
I don’t know what made me think I could fit in here.  I should have just gone home.  Why would someone like Deacon want me when he can have all that?  I can’t compete with that.  I won’t.