Chapter 15

(Chapter song ‘Mary Jane’s Last Dance’ by Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers)
DEACON

The helicopter lands on the roof of the Phoenix Mountain Security unit.  Jenny was stuck to me like glue for the whole ride.  She may have had her eyes shut the whole time, but the fact that she didn’t freak out, showed real progress in her opening up. 
Once the pilot opened the door, we filed out and I escorted them to the door to the building. 
Alex, Jenny and I rush down the hall from the launch pad.  We’re met by Owen.  “Everyone’s in the council room.  Is everyone alright?”  He says as he joins our pace.
“We don’t have a body count, yet.  Owen, I’ve never seen anything like it.”  I say as we walk through the front lobby to the science hall and upstairs. 
“Who’s your friends?”  He thumbs over his shoulders as we climb the winding staircase. 
“My beta, Alex Donald and Jenny Clark.  A really good friend.”  I smile at Jenny and she smiles back as we make a right and head into the council room hallway. 
Owen strides up to the council doors and opens them.  The sound of Alphas talking and arguing hits my ears. 
As soon as we enter, Jenny shies to my side.  I lean to her ear.  “It’s OK.  They’re friends.”  I whisper.  She nods, but still looks at them with worried eyes.  This much Alpha is a lot to take in.
“Deacon.”  Jake comes around the table.  “Did they get in the town?”  He grabs my hand and pulls me into a bro hug.  His face is also filled with concern.
“No.”  I confirm.  “Luckily they never broke our lines.  Falcon has Michael?” 
Jake nods yes.  “They removed the bullet, but he’s not awake yet.  Have a seat.”  He motions to the 20 seat council table and walks up to his chair next to Owen, who’s at the podium.  Brody, Darcy, Mateo with Ash, leaning on the wall, is on one side and Sawyer, Zane, Peter, Hunter and Graham are on the other side.  I take my seat beside Graham and Jenny sits beside me with Alex on the other side of her. 
“He needs to be locked down tight.  From what Cass and Wes tell me, he’s on some kind of lycan steroid.”  I say as I dig the vials out of my pocket. 
“Yeah.”  Darcy starts.  “Has Falcon figured out what happened, yet?  How does a shifter change to a lycan and a huge one at that.” 
Owen leans on the podium.  “No.  All they know is that the night of the red moon, he was taken by Lefu.  What Lefu did to him, they don’t know.  Hopefully, River can figure it out and we can get him cured.” 
“What about putting Lefu back?”  Mateo asks. 
Jake places his laced fingers on the table and leans around Darcy and Brody.  “Zander is still in negotiations with the Vatican to get access to their archives.  He doesn’t know how long it will take.” 
“Once we get all the information, we will be mobilizing everyone.  This is Eternity part 2 people.”  Owen eyes us.
“Destiny did say we were starting a new game.”  Brody grumbles as he bounces his pen off the table. 
“No.  I won’t do it.”  Darcy folds his arms.  “It’s bullshit.  We played his game.  He doesn’t get another one.”
“It’s too late, Darcy.  We have to play with the cosmic dork.”  Sawyer arches a brow. 
Darcy points at him.  “Yeah?  If I ever see the fucking dork again, I’m wringing his scrawny neck.”
Owen puts up hand.  “Ok.  We can talk about killing Destiny at the next council meeting. Right now, Dea has the floor.  First.  I would like to extend our relief that you and your pack are alright after the rogue attack.”  He looks to me as the council mumbles in agreement. 
“Thank you.”  I bow my head.  “Like I said before.  I don’t know what the damage is, but I’m sure we will make a full recovery and those responsible will be shredded.”  I give a tiny growl behind my words. 
Again the table mumbles.
“So what do you have?”  Jake asks.
I stand, palm the vials and toss them onto the table.  “I pulled those off two rogues after they attacked us.”  I point to the liquid as I eye the council members.
I can tell by their faces, this was not what they were expecting.  The look on Jake’s face says he’s struggling with the sight.
Owen side eyes Jake.  “Is that what I think it is?” 
“Fuck!”  Zane slams back into his chair and scrubs his face as he leans on the arm.
Jake folds his hands in front of his mouth.  His eyes glued to the vials.  “It’s fucking Croak.”  He’s trying to contain it, but I can tell a craving when I see one.  His battle with this drug was a nasty one that got people killed.  It raged the streets of Phoenix until it was dealt with thanks to Quinn and his youth groups.
I aggressively point and grit my teeth.  “How did this get out?  You said it was contained.”
“It was.  Someone must have found out how to make it.”  Owen said.
“That’s fucking impossible!”  Zane hits the table.  He and Jake exchange looks with Jake giving him eyes of caution.  Zane looks around the table.  “We made sure all of it was destroyed.”  He leans back in his chair. 
I shoot Jake a look, he closes his eyes and shakes his head.  A signal to leave it.  I think I know where he got it from now.  Obviously, he never told anyone.
I adjust my skull cap as Graham picks up a vial.  “I’d have to test it, but this doesn’t look like the same stuff you had, Jake.”
I can tell Jake is bouncing his leg.  He clears his throat.  “No.  The…uh…color's different.”
I lean my hands on the table.  “I need to know what’s in this?  How did it get out and how do I fucking stop it?  What happened to my pack cannot happen again.” 
“We will get those answers for you.”  Owen says.
“Did the rogues say where they got it from?”  Jake asks.
I shake my head.  “No.  They were very dead.” 
Hunter sits up.  “There’s been an increase in Rogue activity around the central and North parts of the country.  It looks like a fucked up migration pattern.” 
“Where are they going?”  Owen asks.
Hunter shrugs.  “Fuck, if I know.  They seem to be going…everywhere.”
“Like they’re looking for something?”  I ask.
“What could they be looking for?  Why the fuck would a rogue look for anything?”  Peter leans on the table.
“Michael.”  All eyes turn to me at the mention of his name.  I return the stares.  “In the battle, I noticed they only moved when it looked like they received an order through a link or something.  All other times, they seemed to be on autopilot.  When I shot Michael, the fighting stopped and they retreated.  He was controlling their movements.”
“So, Michael’s looking for something.”  Mateo says. 
“Yeah.  A swift kick in the ass."  Ash growls.
“It’s not his fault, dude.”  Brody turns his chair to Ash. 
“No.  It’s ours.”  Jake says.
“Jake, you had to lock up your dad.  You had no choice.”  I say.
“We should have seen this coming.  We should have prepared for anything.”  Jake responds.
“None of us could have been prepared for a Blood Moon.  Though I wish I was.  Sam was a banshee!”  Darcy rolls his head to Jake and grins.
“Darcy, com on, man.”  Jake groans and smacks his arm.
“What?  I’m not the only that felt it’s effects.”  He holds his hands out.
Sawyer points at him.  “What have I told you?”
Darcy mouth goes small.  “Don’t talk about my sex life?”
“Right or what?”  He snarls.
“You’ll kick my ass?”  He answers.
“Keep talking or I’m bending you over.”  Sawyer glares at him.
“I knew you wanted me”  Darcy snorts.
Sawyer sits up.  “You really want to die, don’t you.”
Darcy gets a smart look on his face and crooks a hand at him saying to bring it.
Owen interrupts.  “Either way!  We need to find out what Michael knows and what happened.”  He side eyes .
“I’ll call Bastian and see if they have anything and tell them about the Croak.”  Jake says.
“Very good.  The rest of you, unless something new comes to light, regular council will be next week.  Adjourned.”  He picks up his papers and I stand. 
Jenny is lead to the door by Alex as I gather my things together.  Before I walk, my arm is grabbed. 
“Sexy girl?”  Darcy smiles. 
“Yes.  She’s a friend.”  I answer.
“Dude!”  His brows went up.  “You friendzoned that?  You fucking kidding me?” 
“I didn’t, but out of respect, I’m not forcing anything on her.”  I say as I put my bag on my shoulder. 
He grabs my shoulder and pulls me close.  “I mean this in the most respectful way possible.  You’re an idiot!”  He pushes me away. 
“What?”
“She’s screaming for you man.  You can’t see that?  The body language is loud and clear.  She wants the Dea.”  He smirks. 
“Ok, one.  Don’t ever use my name like that again.  Two, she’s sweet and innocent and I’m respecting her boundaries.”  I point in his face.
He pushes my hand away.  “You’re disrespecting her if you don’t take her like the animal she wants you to be.  Trust me, as a former hunter, that girl?...Trophy hunt.”  He nods and hits my chest.  He winks and walks to the council door. 
I look to Jenny waiting for me.  She is a little wild in the sheets.  Does she want me to be wild on her? 
I shake my head and join my friends before leaving.  I’ll push that right out of my mind.  Jenny doesn’t want dominance.  She’s too nice for that.  I know the girls Darcy’s talking about.  Jenny’s not one of them.