Chapter 13

(Chapter song ‘The Bazaar’ by The Tea Party)
DEACON

Oh my God.  Last night?  *Chef Kiss*.  I can not believe that was the same girl.  Am I sure?  Yeah…Yeah, I’m pretty sure that was Jenny last night.  The girl is amazing! 
Listen, I’ve bedded lots of women in my time, but let me tell you, when I’m banging her for real AND in my head all fucking night, she’s damn fucking good. 
Seriously, after pretty much dying from exhaustion, I spent the entirety of my REM sleep, dreaming of slamming that sweet, sweet pussy over and over again.  That’s never happened.  Even when I begged for it.  Jenny's a master of making me crave her.  I swear she has magic powers or something because she brings out this appetite that will never be satisfied fully.  I just want her that bad. 
As my dreams climax, and my dream self gets off for the hundredth time, I wake with a tiny snort.  My eyes open slightly as I take a deep breath in and rub them.  It’s then I realize, I’m rock solid and throbbing.  I lift the sheet.  “Damn, buddy.  You’re gonna kill us.”  I chuckle.  I drop the sheet and stretch.  My arm falls onto a cold bed.  My brow furrows and I roll my head to where my little sex demon should be. 
“OK?”  I slowly sit up.  I turn to the window.  It’s still dark.  I pick up my phone.  It’s 4 am.  I twist my lips as I look around the bedroom. 
After throwing on my boxers, I open the bedroom door.  “Jenny?”  I call out.  I scratch my bedhead as I stumble down the hallway.  I stop at the washroom and do my thing.  I poke my head out.  “Baby?  Where are you?” 
I walk to the living room.  It’s as dark as the rest of the apartment.  I search the black for any sign of her.  I turn to the front door and tilt my head in confusion.  As I slowly walk to it, I realize it’s open.  Grabbing the handle, I wonder if she went downstairs.
I step into the hallway.  “Jenny.”  I snip a little bit.  I don’t like not knowing shit.  Especially about where the people I care about are.  As I grow concerned, my heart starts to speed up.
I walk to the door that leads to the stairs.  I cautiously open it.  The store is also in blackness.  She left and didn’t turn on a single light? 
I step lightly down the steps.  My eyes glow gold as I call my wolfs eyesight. 
“Jenny!”  I yell out to the store.
A heavy thud on the floor from the back gets my attention.  I descend the stairs and turn to the noise.  Another thud and I direct my steps to the back alcove.  I can see the overhead light flickering on and off wildly. 
Another thud and the sound of rustling paper.
I step one foot in front of the other and cock my head to try and determine what’s going on.  Am I seeing what I’m seeing right now?
Quietly, I walk past the shelves on the floor and look up to the flickering florescent light fixture.  As I pass under, I eye it.  I thought I fixed that.  I turn my attention ahead and see Jenny standing, facing a bookcase on the far back wall.  She’s wearing my shirt, her long hair hangs down her back.  Her legs are bare and she seems stiff. 
My brows come together as she slowly lifts a finger, places the tip of it to a spine and pulls the book off the shelf.  It falls to the growing pile of books at her feet. 
I’m so confused.  I slowly walk to her side and lean to see her face.  She’s looking at nothing.  I look over the bookcase and she pulls another book off the shelf.  She doesn’t seem to know I’m here. 
“Jenny?”  I whisper.
She says nothing as she pulls another spine and it lands with the others.
“Baby?  What are you doing?”  I study her face and body as she continues to knock books off.
“Looking…”  She says quietly.  Her voice is as vacant as her face.  Her eyes stare at nothing. 
“Looking?  Looking for what, baby?”  I lean to her and try to search for understanding.
“The song.”  She says in a dreamy tone.
I turn my head slightly.  “Song?  What song?”  I’m really getting concerned now because the only sounds I hear are her breathes, my rising heartbeat and the books hitting others.  She’s clearing the shelf because of a song?
She lifts her hand and I grab it.  “There’s no song, baby.”  I start to lower her hand.
“I have to find it.”  She says as she lifts her other hand and places a finger on a book.
“You have to come back to bed.”  I grab her other hand and turn her to me.  Her eyes look pale and glassed over.  Like she’s in a trance or something.  I place my hand on her cheek.  “Come back to bed.”  I look into her eyes.
“The song…”  She whispers and tries to turn back to the shelf.
“We can find the song in the morning.  Right now, I need you to come with me.”  I wrap my arm around her shoulder and start to walk her away from the shelf.
“I have to…”
“I know, baby.  I know.  In the morning.”  I turn back to the shelf with the mess on the floor.  My brows scrunch more as I process this weird event that just happened.
“Deacon…”  She says.
“I’m right here, baby.  Come on.”  I lead her into the main part of the store and back up the stairs. 
Once back in her bedroom, I lay her down in bed.  As soon as her head hits the pillow, her eyes close and she falls asleep.
Was she sleepwalking?  If she was, it’s a miracle she didn’t kill herself on the stairs.
I walk back out to her front door and make sure it’s locked.  I turn, cross the room and make sure all the windows are locked too…just in case.  I’ve never dealt with a sleepwalker before, but it seems like the right thing to do. 
I come back in, quietly shut the door and climb into bed.  I wrap her in my arms.  I won’t let her go again until morning. 
Now, the question becomes, do I tell her?  This kept my mind busy for awhile before sleep finally took over.  We’ve basically just started and I’m not sure if this is a taboo or not.  I should say something.  She may not even know about it. If it happens again and she hurts herself,  I’ll kick my ass for the rest of my life.  She needs to be made aware of this so we can take proper precautions if it becomes a problem.  If this is a one off, then no worries. 
I think it’s my duty as a friend and her Alpha that she be made aware of this.  I’ll tell her in the morning. 

****

“No.  It’s ridiculous!”  She turns with a chest full of books. 
“Jenn, I saw it.  I took you back to bed.”  I follow her with my own armful.  She glances at me as she puts the books back on the shelf, taking the ones in my arms from me.
“Deacon.  You must have been dreaming.  I don’t sleepwalk.  I haven’t since I was 4.”  She whips back around and goes back to the till.  She pulls out a notebook and starts to write.
“Look at the mess this morning, Jenn.  You did that.”  I insist again.
“Yes, I did.  I was rearranging books yesterday and forgot to put them away because of our dinner date.”  She waves me off.
“No.”  I growl and scrub my face.  “I saw you pulling the books off in your sleep.”
She shakes her head and continues writing.
I grab her pen and slam it on the counter.  “Will you listen?  I wasn’t dreaming, Jennifer.  You walked from upstairs to that alcove.  Saying shit about a song.  You could’ve killed yourself on those stairs.”
She snatches her pen.  “I know, Deacon.  That’s why I think you’ve been dreaming it.  I fell down a set of stairs when I was four.  My parents got me therapy and I haven’t done it since.  It’s weird that you’d be dreaming about me sleepwalking, but I couldn’t have made it down those stairs like you say.  You’re wrong.”  She heaves a frustrated sigh.
“I looked it up, Jenny.  Sleepwalking can start at anytime.  I think you need to be checked out.”  I eye her with care in my voice and expression. 
She chews her lip as she returns my look. 
“Please.  For me.  Just call someone.”  I plead. 
“Fine.  I’ll call the pack doctor.”  She says.
“Thank you.”  I grab her cheeks and kiss her forehead.  “Now, I’m going back to work this week. I need you to link with me before I go.”
Again, apprehension fills her. 
I cock my head and cross my arms.  “Jenny…”  I say in a stern tone.  I don’t want to delay this anymore.
“Ok.”  She blinks.
“Good girl.”  I smirk.  I call my canines and prick the point of one tooth off my finger.  A drop of blood forms on the pad of it.  “Stick out that beautiful tongue.”  I smile.
She slides her tongue out and slowly run my finger down it.  I feel a bit of a twinge in my package seeing my blood smear down her pink, tasty tongue and she pulls it in.  I run my thumb across her full bottom lip as her eyes glow blue and her wolf establishes the connection with mine.  My eyes glow gold and I see hers cloud over.
I open the link with a grin.  ‘Hello, gorgeous.’
She giggles.  ‘Hello, sexy.’ 
‘I like that.’
‘I know you do.’ 
I cut the link.  “OK.  So if you need anything, link me.  I’ll hear it and get here as soon as I can.” 
She nods.  “Sure.”  I kiss her lips and turn to leave.  “Deacon?”
I turn back.
“Thank you.”  She says quietly.
“I will always protect and look out for you.  Never question that.”  I kiss her deeper this time.  I pull back, sucking her lips as I go.  “I’m going to miss the hell out of you while I’m gone.”
“It’s only a week.”  She looks into my eyes. 
“The longest week ever.  Don’t go playing with anyone else while I’m gone, got it?”  I smirk.
She giggles.  “Got it.”
“I’ll call you when I’m in Phoenix.”  I hug her and kiss her hair.
“You better.”  She says as she hugs me back. 
“I better go or I’m calling in again.”  I chuckle.
I leave her with a smile on my face and I turn around.  “Call the doctor.”  I point as I walk backwards.
“I will.”  She confirms. 
I kiss the air to her and turn around.  Fuck, this will be the hardest week of my life.  I find the girl of my dreams and I have to leave her.  I wish she could come with me, but I can’t disrupt her life because of mine.  I’ll have to deal with it for now, but I know I won’t be able to do this for long.  Not with a sexy librarian waiting for me.  I actually might have to do some serious life reflection here. 
When I get back to the pack house, I pack my stuff for a week at Phoenix.  Before I go, I give Alex an extremely important job.
“You don’t take your eyes off her for a second, understand me?”  I arch a brow as I drop my duffle on the floor. 
Alex is in the common room going over new applications. 
“I understand, Dea.  She’ll be fine.  Just go.  We'll keep an eye on her.”  Alex says as he adjusts in his seat. 
“You better.  If even the slightest thing seems off, you link me asap.”  I point to him.
“Calm your Alpha, man.  Jeez, I’ve never seen you so possessive over a girl before.”  Alex crosses his arms and eyes me.
“She’s not a girl, she’s a friend and I don’t want anything to happen to her.”  I pick my bag up.  “I’ll be home Friday night.  Keep on the housing assignments, send the permits to my inbox and I’ll sign them.  Make sure everyone’s fitting in OK and I want the newest Enforcer report as soon as it’s available.”
“Yes, Deacon.  I know.  I run this pack too, remember.”  He chuckles. 
I smirk.  “Yeah, I know, but If I don’t bark orders at someone, my wolf goes nuts.”  I rub my nape and laugh. 
“Get to work, Alpha.”  He motions for the door. 
“See ya.”  I leave for the front door. 

****

The loud grunts and growls fill the field as flesh hits flesh. 
I wrap my arms around Ash's waist and try to knock his feet out from under him.  He grabs my waist and tries to lift me, but I change my weight and he can’t move.  He brings his clasped fists down on my spine and the pain forces me to let go.  He grabs me in a headlock and tries to subdue me.  I elbow him in the gut and he backs off. 
I spin around and swing punches his way.  He blocks and swings back. 
I’m huffing breaths with every throw.  He arches back, waiting for an opportunity to attack. 
He gets in my space and his grabs my chest in a crushing bear hug.  I groan loud in agony.  He lifts me off my feet and slams me into the dirt.  He drops, pins my throat with his thick forearm and hooks my legs.  I struggle for bit, then tap out.
He gets up and dusts himself off.  “You need to stick to tracking.  You’re getting soft.”  He chuckles.
“I’m not soft, I just have a lot on my mind.”  It’s partially true.  The full truth is, Jenny’s sleepwalking is distracting me.  Ash is a big guy, but I’ve never struggled this much to land him. 
He walks with me to the spot where our training bags are on the edge of the field.  “What’s up?”
I grab a water and take a drink, shrugging as I do.  “I don’t know.  I met this girl on vacation and I like her, but I don’t know how to move forward with her.  We're friends, but I want to tell her I want to be more than that.  I’m afraid if I do, she’ll just close off to me.  I just got her to open up a tiny bit.” 
“A new girl.”  He nods.  “You think there’s something there?”
“I think so.  I mean, she’s smart, sweet and sexy…” 
“Sexy?  What are we talking about?”  Darcy and Brody walk up and grab towels.  They wipe the sweat off as they join our circle. 
“Dea has a girl.”  Ash thumbs to me.
“She’s not mine yet.”  I correct.
“Why not?”  Brody pants. 
“She’s a bit…skittish and I don’t want to scare her off by being too pushy.”  I fold my arms and tick my head.  “But I want to take it to the next level.”
Darcy wraps an arm around me.  “What you do is look her straight in the eye and say ‘Sexy.  This is how it is.  You’re beautiful and I like you.  You’re mine now.’  Trust me, women love that shit."  He smirks. 
“Sam would kick your ass if you talked to her like that.”  Ash snorts.
“I talk to her like that all the time.  She knows who the Alpha is.”  Darcy crosses his arms and eyes the circle. 
“Bro, she makes you beg.  Quit lying.”  Brody laughs. 
“Only because I allow it.  If I want to be dominant, I will be.  Sam is different.  She’s a strong goddess and she knows it.  I appreciate that strength.”  Darcy grins.
“Only because she’d smoke your ass to the middle of the Pacific ocean if you even try to tell her what to do.”  I chuckle.
“That only happened once and I’ll admit I may have deserved it, but she pulled me out before the sharks came so, it’s all good.”  He smiles and tilts his head to me.  The circle chuckles. 
I rub my head.  “I can’t just throw my Alpha at her.  When I say skittish, I mean skittish.  This is the first time she’s been outside of her pack and she’s a bit…terrified of it.” 
“Sounds like she could use some friends.  You should bring her next week.  Lucy would love to have her.”  Brody offers. 
“I don’t know.  She’s scared of people.”  I scrunch my nose.
“Addy would be the best for that.  She can help.”  Ash says. 
“Sam’s the best at mothering.  She can protect her.  She can make her stay here nice and safe.  Bring her.”  Darcy says as he hits my chest. 
“Yeah, I’ll think about it…”  I start when my link opens.
‘DEACON!’ 
‘Alex?’  I say out loud.
‘ROGUES.  A LOT OF THEM!’
I cut the link, my brows shoot up.  “Rogues are attacking my town!” 
“What?”
“You need backup?”  Ash says as his chest puffs. 
‘ALEX.  HOW MANY?’ 
‘IT’S A FUCKING ARMY!  DEA, WE NEED HELP!’
My heart races into my throat and my body sweats.  “It’s an army.”  I say with a shaky voice.
Ash whips his head to Darcy.
“On it.”  He says, grabs Brody and runs to the field.  “FORTH YEARS TO THE DEPLOYMENT AREA!  DOUBLE TIME!!  THIS IS NOT A DRILL!”
A bunch of recruits drop what they’re doing and break into sprints for the unit.
I open a link to Owen and Sawyer as we run to the deployment unit. 
The halls fill up with Ops soldiers.   The sounds of military boots hitting the floors are almost deafening.  Orders are shouted as Sawyer and his Unit  Leaders scramble to get organized.
Sawyer quickly barks commands.  “UNIT 1, CHOPPER 5.  UNIT 2, CHOPPER 3…”
We pile into the trucks that will take us through the city to the fleet of military helicopters waiting outside the crack. 
Sawyer gets in and sits across from as I bounce my leg and keep my link open for Alex. 
“What do we got?”  He says.
I lean back as the truck races to the launching area.  “100 at least.  Coming from both sides.  Everyone is locked inside.  Enforcers are doing their best, but it’s not enough.  So far no breaches of the border, but if we don’t get there soon…” 
Fear is filling me as Jenny’s face races through my mind.  Please let her be ok.  I clench my fist hard at the thought of one of these stinking creatures laying a paw on my girl.  My wolf is seeing red at the balls they have attacking my people.
“We’ll get there.  Don’t worry.  We’ll send these rogues to hell where they belong.”  Sawyer grits. 
I nod, apprehensively.  It’s not that I don’t believe him, it’s that I wish I wasn’t so far away.  Every hour is crucial.  Anything could happen while I try to get to Jenny. 
I tap my fingers together between my knees as updates come in from my Enforcer leaders and Alex.  I pass on what I can and send orders through the link. 
Sawyer continues to set up the game plan as we all board the helicopters.  We are up in the air within an hour.  An entire fleet of upgraded Blackhawks take to the skies headed to Upton as fast as they can go.
I’m coming, baby.  Hang on.