Chapter 36

(Chapter song ‘Shoop' by Salt-N-Peppa, ‘prison Riot' by Epic Score)
JENNY

I hold my eye open as I place the purple contact in my eye.  I blink profusely to adjust them and get comfortable. 
Staring at myself in the mirror, go over my ringlets again as I stare at my purple eyes.  “Please like it.”  I breathe. 
I adjust the chain around my neck that holds the key to the room.
My nerves are shot.  The world outside is deep blue and you can almost feel the love.  I feel it inside me.  It’s like a blooming flower, growing stronger as it gets bigger, yet still delicate. 
When I first met Deacon, I wanted him away from me as fast as possible, now I hope we will be closer than we ever could be.  It would be the best thing in the whole world to be Fated to Deacon. 
I feel like if anyone could fix my life, it’s him.  He gets me and I get him.  It’s the best feeling in the world. 
Now, if I can just get rid of this fear of being surrounded by his pack. 
The party is at a community center in the downtown core.  The city’s center has also been closed off for those that aren’t in the ball. 
Deacon is waiting for me in the common room of the pack house so, I guess I better go.
“OK.  Here goes nothing.”  I swallow my fear and walk out of the room.  As descend the stairs, I’m hit with an amount of sexiness I was not prepared for.
He's wearing a suit, but the dress shirt is a pale purple and open at the top.  He’s wearing chains and I see his tattoos peeking at his neckline.  His scent hits my nose and my arousal goes through the roof. 
He adjusts his black, skull cap and black suit jacket.
His eyes lock with mine and a big, bright, toothy smile grows on his lips as he meets me on the first floor. 
“I…Oh…Um…”  I stutter as I look him over.
He places a hand on my nape and leans to me.  “You look smoking hot too.”  He grins.
I huff a laugh and cover my burning cheeks.
He pulls my hands away and kisses my nose.  “I love your eyes.  Those are so cool!”  He says as he studies them.
“I was hoping you’d like them.”  I whisper.
“I love all of it.”  He kisses my lips.  He pulls away.  “So hot.”  He shivers with a scrunched nose, making me laugh again.
“Let’s go have some fun.”  He holds a hand out to me and I take it.  He practically floats me out the door to a waiting car.  I feel like a princess.  We jump in the back and drive off to my first Upton Blue Moon Ball. 
We rolled into the community center parking lot and like they knew we were coming, the area in front of the doors cleared.  It was like a red carpet event. 
He helps me out and the pack cheers.  I try to keep it together as the cameras flash. 
Deacon grabs my hand and wraps my arm around his.  “I got you.”  He whispers.  “All you have to do is smile.” 
This actually does make me smile because even though I’m in his spotlight, he’s not making it about me and I can handle that.  He’s so aware of how I’m feeling, it’s scary sometimes.
He waves to the crowd as we walk up to the door.  He pauses only once so they can get pictures of us as a couple and we head in.  The music is thumping and people are having a great time. 
The ball is in an auditorium that has a half retractable roof.  The decorations of black, purple and white look absolutely perfect.  Even though it’s loud and obnoxious, I feel pretty good right now. 
Deacon sticks with me the whole way to the bar.  “Wine?”
“Yes, please.”  I say as I develop a little shimmy in my hips.  He chuckles as he hands me my glass. 
He takes my hand and tips his beer back as he weaves us through the crowd.
“Yo, Dea!”
“HEY!”  He throws his bottle up.
“IT’S A PARTY NOW!!” 
The crowd breaks into a loud “WHOOO!!” 
The Dj turns on Salt-N-Peppa and Deacon loses it.  “YEAHH!!”  His pack joins him and I can only laugh.  He lets out an Alpha howl and the whole pack howls too.  I’m so excited, my shy wolf joins in.
He bounces his legs and grinds up to me with the beat.  He holds my hip and brings me into his sway.  I'm full of giggles as I rest an arm on his shoulder.
“Yeah, baby.  That’s it.”  He says as he grinds lower and takes me with him.  “Get low…So sexy.”
I’m getting into it when breaks away and turns.  He bounces out and spins around.
I stand and watch. 
He starts dancing to me like a rapper, bouncing and rocking his body back and forth as he walks.  He's mouthing the rap words as he goes.  My cheeks are on fire and I cover my face, then I put my hands on my nose like a prayer as I swing my hips.
He's ballin’ it around the circle singing to the people around us. 
He throws his hands up and jump grinds to me. Grabbing my ass, he pulls me to him again.  “You make me want to be so many dirty right now.”  He purrs in my ear. 
“Stop.”  I giggle and tap his chest. 
“I mean it.  There’s just something that’s just so…Errr…I just want to rip that dress off.”  He kisses my neck and nibbles my ear. 
I run my fingers into the back of his hair and pull his head back.  “I think I know how you feel.”  I tease his lips. 
“So fucking hot.”  He mumbles.
“Burning hot.”  I mumble back. 
“ALPHA!  SPEECH TIME!”
I make another circle as his lips start to part.
“Damn.”  He growls. 
I laugh and he backs off. 
“OKAY!” 
The room explodes in cheers. 
He pulls me through the crowd to the long stage.  His Beta Alex is already up there.
Deacon jumps up on stage and waves Alex over. 
Both men walk over to the edge and lean down with their hands out.
I take their hands and put a heel on the side of the stage.  They lift me up onto the stage and I yelp with a giggle.  Deacon catches me and kisses me passionately in front of everyone and for some reason, the air in this place made me so light headed, I didn’t care. 
He separates and holds his hands out showing me to the crowd. 
They yell and cheer and I wave them off with big smiles. 
Deacon passes me off to Alex and we stand back while Deacon makes his Blue Moon speech. 
“WHAT'S UP UPTON?!”  He yells into the mic.
The pack whistles and chants ‘UPTON!’ 
Deacon walks up and down the stage, egging them on.  Motioning them to be louder. 
“WHO HAS THE BEST PACK?!”  He booms.
“UPTON!”  They all answer.
“SAY IT AGAIN!”
“UPTON!!”
“Damn right!  And this year, it was made a hell of a lot better.  We showed the world that nothing, absolutely nothing, will bring us down.  You can beat on us and we beat back harder.  You want to bring it, we will hand your ass back to you!  These past 15 years we never once falter.  Not once!  They can take a fucking building from us and we will go and get that fucker back!  NOBODY MESSES WITH THE UPTON PACK!” 
The pack screams with approval and clap with Alex.
“Why do we fight so hard?”  He says calmly.  He turns towards me and points.  “That…right there.  I fight for that absolutely gorgeous woman.  She will never feel fear in Upton.” 
I give a small smile as my heart swells. 
He turns to the pack.  “As long as I’m Alpha, none of you will feel fear.  We are brave!  We are strong!  AND NO ONE WILL STOP US!” 
Arms in the crowd go up as Deacon throws his arms up.  The crowd goes insane with pride.  I feel it too.  I can’t believe this man is mine.  He’s my Alpha and hopefully soon he will be forever mine. 
“Open the roof!”  He bellows, throwing his chest to the sky. 
The retractable roof opens and the deep, blue light fills the auditorium and the moon shines bright above us as it closes in on its peak. 
I feel it around me.  The magic of it surrounds me.  My eyes find Deacons and I feel this rising heat.  The air changes, it feels heavy. 
My heart sped up and I could sense something coming.  Deacon smiles big as he walks to me.  I think he can feel it too. 
Alex jumps off the stage and we stand at the back. 
“Do you?...”  He asks.
“I think so…”  I whisper.
He moves in for a kiss and something changes.  I turn away and hold myself. 
“Baby?  What is it?”  He tries to see my face.
“A fear…I feel fear…”  I look at him. 
“You don’t have to be scared.”  He says.  “This is what we wanted.”
“No, Deacon…it’s not mine.”  I grow concerned as it gets bigger and pushes my feelings asides.  “Deacon…Something’s wrong with the room.” 
His eyes widen.  “Let’s go.” 
We jump down and run through the crowd.  He grabs Alex.  “Come on.” 
“Where?”
“Something’s wrong with the library.”  Deacon says.
“How?...”  He looks between us.
“I don’t know.  I just feel really scared and it’s not me.  Something’s attacking the library.”  I say to him.
“Oh. OK?” Alex turns to Deacon.
“Listen to her.”  He says.
“Get going.”  He points to the door. 
We run out of the ball and they jump in the front.  I take the backseat and I sit in worry.  There’s pounding in my mind and the fear rises with every hit.  “Deacon hurry!” 
“Got it!”  He hits the gas and turns the car around.  People jump out of the way as we race out of the ball area into the city. 
I hold my head as I get conflicting feelings.  It’s like a mess in my heart of fear, anger and terror mixed with love, desire and passion.  “Deacon.  I can’t breathe.”  I hold myself as the pounding in my mind continues.  It’s like someone is using a battering ram on my brain. 
“It’s…it’s just the excitement…it…it'll go away”  He undoes the buttons on his shirt. 
“You ok, buddy?”  Alex asks.
Deacon wipes his brow.  “Yeah, just hot…from dancing…” 
The image of wood cracking slams my brain.  It actually hurts.  “Dea…please hurry!”  I say as I double over.
“What’s going on?  Jennifer?!”  He looks over his shoulder.
“Just drive!”  I yell as I hold my head.  I’m burning up and the air in this car is so thick.  It makes me feel electric.  The pounding of my brain and heart feel like I’m being put through a grinder.  I clench out the pain in the back seat.
“OK.”  He slams the gas harder and squeals through the streets to get to the other side of town. 
The car was barely stopped out front of my bookstore, when I opened the door and jumped out. 
“JENNIFER!”  Deacon yells.
I run to the front entrance which was fixed, but now is smashed in.  My mouth drops and I scowl. 
I hitch up my dress and run into the store.  The place is a mess of construction equipment and scaffolding. 
As I get to the center, I smell two scents.  One smells strongly of Deacon and the other turns my stomach.  The mixing of the two creates a feeling I’d never thought I’d feel.  Pure, hot rage.
As I get to the alcove, I stop dead. 
BANG!
Loud growls come from the messed up wolf slamming it’s dirty body against the door to the library.  It’s tricolor fur was wet, matted and dripping in what I think is blood.  It’s so skinny, it looks starved.
Seeing it attack my library boiled my blood.  I don’t know where it came from, but I could only think of one thing. 
“GET AWAY FROM THAT DOOR!!”
It whips its head to me.  It’s eyes glow a fiery red that makes it look demonic.  I suck in a huge breath as it’s lips curl to a snarl. 
I barely had time to react.  I throw out my hand and fire a ball as the wolf lunges at me with a face full of murder. 
My ball misses and the rogue hits me in the chest.  We fly backwards and roll across the floor, knocking over paint cans and wood as he do. 
I flip onto my stomach and it turns onto its paws. 
“This is my library.”  I lower my eyes to it and growl dark.
I jump in the air and rip my dress to shreds.  My wolf lands on the rogue and the two of us twist into a ball of teeth and fur.
“JENNY!” 
Deacon shifts and grabs the rogue.  He throws it and it hits the legs of some scaffolding.  The three platform tower falls and knocks the one beside it, starting a chain reaction down the wall of the store. 
The rogue jumps him and I grab its thigh in my jaws. 
For a skinny wolf, it’s really strong.  It kicks Deacon away and he slams into the legs of scaffolding on the other side of the room.  Those all fall down like dominoes.
I grab the wolfs fur and shake it.  It shoves me hard and turns on me.  Landing on my side, its jaws grab the back of my head.  My wolf yelps as I try to break loose.  Images of the elk crushing me into the ground fill my mind as I try to break free.
Alex knocks her off and it crashes into Deacon.
It spins around and grabs Deacons throat.  He tries to kick it off, but it locks on. 
Alex grabs its scruff, but it seems it’s checked out.  It doesn’t feel the pain Alex is delivering.
The wolfs growls fill my tiny store.  The Alpha and Beta growl louder, but the rogue is not phased by it at all.
I shift and my chest heaves.  I look at my hand.  A purple ball swirls in my palm. 
I see the blood smeared on the floor.  I watch as my love fights for me and the thing I was charged to protect.  I hear the pain that’s being created by this wolfs hate. 
I’m flooded with all kinds of emotions all at once then I feel something deep in my heart.  Something snap.  At that moment, all my fear and anxiety turned into a whirlwind in my mind.  I took that tornado of bad and put it all into the magic I held in my hand. 
I stared the rogue down, fueled my magic and my voice. 
“ENOUGH!!”
I throw my hand out and my ball flies at the rogue.  The three get blasted in different directions. 
Deacons wolf rolls to his stomach and Alex gets to his paws.  The rogue stares us all down, turns and runs out the door.  Alex shifts and runs to Deacon.
I look at my hand and feel my heart.  I don’t feel scared anymore.  I feel love.  Intense love.
My eyes find Deacon and he stares into my soul. 
“Mine.”  He growls. 
Alex flicks his head between the two of us until Deacon shoves him while rising to his feet. 
The corner of my lip ticks up.  “Mine.”