Chapter 17

(Chapter song ‘I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing' by Aerosmith, ‘Tik Tok’ by Kesha)
JENNY

I feel like a marching band is dancing across my brain as I slowly open my eyes.
My vision focuses to charming brown eyes, scruffy jawline and a toothy grin. 
I groan as I try to wake up.  I rub my eyes and head and look around.
“Hey, gorgeous.”  He whispers.
I roll my head to him.  “Hi.  Where am I?”  My voice is harsh and I feel weak. 
He leans on the edge of my bed and takes my hand, kissing my fingers.  He places them on his cheek.  “Phoenix General.  We…We had to sedate you.” 
My brows come together and I slowly sit up.  He stands and helps by adjusting the pillows behind my back.  “What?  Why?”
He sits on the edge of my bed and takes my hand again.  “Baby.  You walked again.  If I didn’t get to you, you would have been seriously hurt.”  His eyed fill with worry and concern.
“No…”  I adjust myself again and my body fills with confusion.  “No…Deacon…”
He leans to me and puts a hand on my cheek.  “Jenny…It happened.  Jake saw it too.” 
I look around my blankets searching my mind for a reason.  “I-I was dreaming.  Dreaming of the store.  All I wanted was to go home.” 
“You kept saying you had to find it.  Find what, Sweetie.”  He tilts his head to me. 
“I…I don’t know.  I have no idea.”  I’m really starting to get scared now.  I don’t know why, but this whole thing is making me think I have some sort of problem.
“You left the building completely.  I found you walking out of Phoenix into the desert.  Baby, I think your mind was actually taking you home.”  He rubs his nape and I notice fear in his eyes.
I shake my head.  “No.  I don’t think sleepwalking works like that, Dea.”  My brows stitch up.  “What’s happening to me?”  I choke. 
He grabs me and pulls me into his chest.  Somehow the sound of his heartbeat is calming me a little, but the situation is making me tremble.  “I don’t know, baby.  All I know is you’re never leaving my sight.”
“You can’t watch me sleep.”  I push him back and tilt my head to him.
“I can and I will.”  He points in my face.  “I’ve pulled all nighters for less.  Until we figure this out, my eyes are glued to your sexy ones.”  He presses his forehead to mine and glares into my eyes, making me giggle. 
He wraps his arms around me again.  “If I hadn’t found you when I did…I can’t even think of what would have happened.”  He buries his face in my shoulder. 
“I’m scared.”  My voice is shaky.
“I know, baby.  I love you so much.  I’m not letting anything happen to you.”  He mumbles.
“I love you too.”  I hitch.  “Thank you.”  I say quietly.
He gently pushes back and locks my gaze.  “Don’t thank me.  Don’t ever thank me for protecting what’s mine.” 
I get a puppy dog look on my face and my eyes heat.  “Yours?”  My voice is so small.  I don’t think I’ve ever heard words like that in my entire life. 
He cups my cheek and nods.  “Mine.”  He confirms.  “All mine.”
My lip quivers as he leans in and kisses me passionately.  My heart feels like it’s going to burst.  The meek, shy librarian belongs to the big, loud, strong alpha?  None of my books could write this. 
Do I want this?  Am I ready for this? 
Can I actually call Deacon mine? 
A warmth comes over me as I return his kiss and I feel his love.  My arms wrap around his head and I don’t ever want to let him go.

Mine. 

****

“What if I sleepwalk again?  I really think I need to…” 
He turns around as he closes the trunk of his rental car.  “It’s OK, Jenny.  It's just four days.  You work with me.  Friday afternoon were on the first chopper out of the city.  I can keep an eye on you and Jake can’t give me shit.”  He walks me around to the door. 
“But.  The desert…”  I argue as I push up my glasses. 
“It won’t happen.  I have it all figured out.”  He pulls out a bell on a string out of his back seat.
I arch a brow.  “A cat toy?”
“Yep.”  He tosses it back.  “If you walk and open the door, that’ll ring, waking me up.  Pretty genius right?” 
I bite my lip and look to the bell.  “Right.”  I sigh.  “Dea…The truth is…” 
“Don’t worry about any of that, baby.  Right now, I need you to call your inner fighter.”  He smirks and puts his hands on my arms.
“Excuse me?”  My brows rise as I try to process what I think he just said.
“At work.  I’m a trainer so, I’m training you.”  He opens my door and helps me in.
“Dea.  I don’t fight.”  I half giggle and half panic as he buckles my belt.
“Not full fighting, of course.  I teach tracking.  Only self defense fighting.  We aren’t combat.”  He kisses me quick.
“Uh…oh…”  I went to say something, but he closed my door and ran around the car.
He gets in, starts the car and smiles.  “This is going to be great.”  He puts the car in gear and joins the traffic of the city.
“Sure.”  I sit in worry as I fold my hands in my lap.  I feel like im being kidnapped but, he’s so excited to show me where he works.  How do I tell him I just want to go home?   

****

He leads me into the tall, glass covered building.  I’m in complete awe as I adjust my glasses and look up to the slanted glass of the front lobby, letting in the blue sky.  I look around the busy main hall.  People in suits and uniforms are walking every which way. It feels like chaos and loud.  I suck in a breath and blow it out to calm myself. 
“Operations and the Science division are that way.”  He points to the left.  “That’s also where the Alpha council and offices are.  The dining hall and training unit is this way.”  He grabs my hand and pulls me to the right.  There’s so much to take in.  I’m just keeping my mouth shut to contain all the overstimulation I’m receiving. 
We walk through what looks like a food court.  There’s tables full of people and several mini food places to buy food from.  On the other side is a double set of doors.  Above the doors was a sign that said “Training Unit”.  Again, I held my breath as we got closer to me somehow fighting. 
We walk into a locker room.  I pull on his arm to stop him.  “Deacon!  I can’t go in the men’s room.”
“It’s co-ed.  It’s fine.  We share here.”  He grins.
“Share.”  I look at him like he has two heads.  I’ve never heard of such a thing ever. 
He chuckles.  “Jenny, trust me.  We’re all good people here.” 
We walk past a row and I see some Ops cleaning out a locker.  Deacon stops.  “Uh…What happened to Fredericks?”  He points to the locker.
One of the Ops guys smirks.  “You haven’t heard?  Andrew bit off more than he could chew this time.  Messed with the wrong she wolf.  Got his ass arrested for sexual assault.”  The two fist bump and shove his stuff in a bag.
“No, shit?  About time.  That guy’s been doing dirty for a long time.”  Deacon says.
“Yep.”  The other Ops guy confirms.  “More are coming forward too.  One of them is a Luna.”
“No way!”  Deacons jaw drops. 
“Guys going away for life.”  The first Ops solider says and shuts the locker. 
“Damn.  Oliver must be pissed.”  Deacon shakes his head. 
“Oliver?”  I question.
“His brother.”  Deacon answers.  “Head of the Prison Unit in Falcon Ridge.”
“That’s where Andrew’s headed to.  His sick ass is Oliver’s problem now.”  They walk past us, cracking  cackles as they walk out of the locker room.
I look to Deacon with extreme concern at the thought of an attacker working here.
He points to me like he can sense my fear.  “It’s OK.  Andrew was a one off.  You have nothing to worry about.”  He stands straight.  “Just…stay with me, OK?”
“OK.”  I swallow. 
I follow him down a line of lockers.  “I took the liberty of buying you some gym clothes while you were passed out.”  He opens his bag and pulls out some new spandex.  He also pulls out a black scrunchie and holds it in his fingertips.  “I bought one of these things for your hair.  I see other girls wear them.  I hope it’s alright.” 
I take it from him.  “It’s fine.  Thank you.”
He pulls out runners.  “I hope these fit.”  He grins.  I take the clothes and shoes from him.  He pulls out a Phoenix cut off tank and a pair of blue shorts. 
He takes off his jeans and boots then pulls off his t shirt from the back.
I stand, arms full of clothes, biting my lower lip as I become mesmerized by his chest, abs and side movements.  I didn’t realize I was staring at his flexing muscles.
“Baby, you getting dressed?” 
I shake my head.  “Hmm?” 
“Are you changing?”  He asks again.
“Right.”  I giggle, nervously.  I don’t know why.  It’s not like he hasn’t seen me naked before. 
I wiggle out of my skirt and unbutton my blouse.  It’ll be nice to change into something clean.  We left Upton with no warning and I have no clothes here. 
He puts his shirt over his head and pulls it down.  “We’ll go shopping after practice.  It’s probably a good idea that you have a wardrobe here anyway.  You’re going to see a lot of this place.” 
“Deacon.  I don’t think that’s necessary.  I have a store to run.”  I say. 
He glances at me as he ties up his sneaker.  “I know.  It’s just…good to be prepared.” 
I pull up the spandex pants.  “I guess your right.”  Even though I do have a life in Upton, I really can’t ignore Deacons life here all the time. 
“Damn.”  I hear as I pull the sport bra down over my breasts.  “I could watch you dress and undress all day.” 
I tuck my breasts into the tight material and narrow my eyes.  “You said I was safe here.”  I pull my hair into a ponytail and wrap the scrunchie around it. 
He slinks up to me, wraps his arms around my bare midsection, a teases my lips.  “You’re safe from everyone, but me.”  He smirks and I laugh on his lips as he kisses me. 
He grabs our stuff and puts it in his locker.  “Let’s go, hot stuff.”  He motions to the door.
“Stop.”  I blush.
He slaps my ass and I yelp.  It stung against the stretchy fabric.  I turn around rubbing my cheek.
“Never.”  He growls.
I narrow my eyes.
“Get going.”  He points to the door as he chuckles. 
I give him a warning look and walk out of the locker room. 
As we walk down the hall to the office doors, I hear a commotion. 
“Uh oh.  Look out.  Incoming!”
I turn to Deacon.  “Incoming?”
The office floor fills with squeals from extremely excited women.
My eyes widen as I see a group of smiling, giggling women coming my way.  The four rush me and I’m frozen on the spot.  My anxiety shoots through the roof as I’m surrounded.  Their scents tell me…Oh God…Lunas! 
“OK!  OK!  Ladies!”  Deacon says from outside the circle.  It’s a valiant effort, but apparently useless since they break sound barriers with their happiness.
Then the questions, poking and prodding start.  What the heck?  Am I new zoo animal or something?
My body heats and I’m internally freaking out.  I was not prepared for this at all.  My head is screaming as I’m surrounded. 
“Oh my God, you’re so pretty.  I love your hair!  Can I braid it?!  I want to braid it!  I love your tights!  We should go shopping?  Do you like the club?  I like the club!  We should be friends!  I think you’d make an awesome friend!  I think your glasses are so cool!  Why do you wear glasses?...”
The tiny brunette is in my space, firing out questions like her mouth was a full auto and all I can do is let out squeaks.  I shoot Deacon panicked looks.  My eyes begging for help.
“LANA!”  Deacon barks as he tries to grab her, but she’s bouncing around me, making my nerves explode.  I literally can’t move. 
Deacon looks down the office aisle.  “PETER!  YOUR LUNA BROKE MY GIRLFRIEND!!”  He growls loud.
Another Luna grabs her and pulls her away. “I’m sorry…She’s…she’s just excited.  Lana loves new people…”  She yanks Lana away just as a blonde man walks up. 
“Sorry, Dea.  I made the mistake of stopping for coffee this morning.  She’s…caffeinated.”  Lana is bouncing in the spot as Peter apologizes. 
“It’s fine.  Run her around the track before practice, please.  That’s the last thing we need.”  Deacon arches a brow.
“Sure.  Come on, Babe.  50 laps.”  He turns her around.
“50?  Why 50?  Can I do 60?”  She says, hopping beside him as they leave for the field.
“Sure.”
“What about 70?  No…100!”  She slams the doors open.
“Whatever you want, baby.”  Peter says as the doors close. 
Deacon grabs my hands and pulls me to him.  “I’m so sorry.  I promise she won’t be a problem for the rest of the day.”
I glance at the door.  “I-Its OK.  She…just surprised me.  I kind of need preparation for things like this.”  I look at him hoping he gets it.
“Uh…OK.”  He nods.  “That’s actually really good to know.”  He says and gives me a kiss.
Someone clears their throats and we turn.
“Right.  Jenny Clark, this is Lucy Jackson-Douglas, Adeline Westfield, and Samantha Bourne.”  He goes around the circle.  “And the buzzed out one was Lana Castile.”  He chuckles.
The tall brunette holds out her hand.  “Please.  Call me Sam.” 
“Hi.”  I smile.
“Sorry we freaked you out.  We tried trying her up, but it’s like tying up a tornado.”  Lucy chuckles. 
“That’s OK.  I’m just a bit nervous about all this.”  I shake her hand too. 
“Hi!”  I turn to a beautiful woman with hazel eyes that seem different. 
“Hello.”  I notice the cane at her waist.  “You’re blind.” 
“Yep.  My whole life.”  Adeline grins.
“I’m sorry.”  I say softly.
“Don’t be.  I’m not.  I kick ass.  I can still see shapes and that’s all I need to catch the bad guys.” 
“I can understand that.  I’ve had glasses since I was 13.  It’s different, but you figure out quick what makes you special.”  I smile.
“That’s right.  I like her.”  She grins to the others. 
The others giggle. 
“Jenny.  Word on the field is, you’re a librarian?”  Sam says as she crosses her arms. 
“Yes, but I’ve loved books all my life.”  I supply.
Lucy wrap an arm around my shoulders.  “Do you like parties?”
“Lucy…”  Deacon starts.
“It’s OK.”  I interrupt him.  “What kind of party?”
“Just a pack house party at my place.  My brother’s coming into town and we like to throw a party for him.”  Lucy grins and taps my back.
“Luke’s coming here?” Deacon turns his head slightly and leans to her.
Lucy nods.
“Ok.  That’s a big no way.”  Deacon says.
“Why not?”  I ask.
“Because Luke Jackson is the last one we need to party with.”  He crosses his arms.  “No offense.” 
Lucy shrugs and folds her arms.  “It’s OK.  I know my brothers an ass, but he’s fun.”
I look to Deacon.
“You want to go?”  He arches a brow.
“As long as you stay with me.”  I state.
“I wouldn’t leave you for a second.”  He smiles.
“Great!  I’ll text the details.”  She grins.  “See you on the grass.”  She grabs Adeline’s arm and the three women leave.
“Look at you, party animal.”  He grabs my wrist and pulls me to him.
“Not really. I didn’t want to turn her down.  I wanted to be nice.”  I pick at his shirt as he surrounds me in his muscle bound arms. 
“You don’t have to go just to make friends.”  He rests his head on mine and rocks me gently.
“No.  I know, but at the same time, I feel like I want to get out there and start facing my fears.”  The corner of my lip ticks up as I glance up at him.  “Being with you…kind of makes me feel stronger some how.”
“Well, I'm certainly glad to help.”  He cuddles me and kisses my hair.  “Let’s get to work.”
“Ok.”  He laces his fingers with mine and we walk out to the field.
It’s true, in a way.  Deacon creates a strength.  He makes it so I can do things yet still be safe.  With him by my side, he’s like my rock.  As long as he’s with me, nothing can hurt me and I love that.