Chapter 20

(Chapter song ‘Deeper Underground' by Jamiroquai)
JENNY

It really is good to be back.  I had a lot to do from being gone all week.  It took days to dust everything, figure out paperwork and bills, but I got it settled pretty quickly and was ready for my customers. 
Everyone was glad to have Deacon back. 
We went to the middle of town and he held a small press conference on the attack and what they plan on doing to prevent future attacks.  He also reassured the public that Upton is still safe and will remain that way. 
He told them he is their Alpha and he will make sure every level of protection is met.  My heart swelled as I stood behind him and listened.  He’s talking to me too and I couldn’t be prouder having him as my Alpha.  I do think my father could learn from him.  Yes, he should be cautious, but bravery is not hiding from your fears, it’s facing them.  Which is why I volunteered to stand by him even though my anxiety is telling me to run. 
After, Deacon had pack business to attend to and I went back to my little store to open up and do some inventory. 
While in the back alcove, I felt a weird breeze. 
I feel the slight flip of the lock of hair on my shoulder.  I slowly place the book I had in my hand back on the shelf and set my clipboard down.  I turn to the alcove. 
The light above me flickers and I scan the shelves. 
‘…Jenny…’
Goosebumps rise on my skin and I turn my head slightly to the room.  The sound was wispy and ghostly.  I can’t tell if I actually just heard my name or just the wind. 
I step softly to the back wall.  I raise my hand to the books.  It feels…cold.  There’s a small rush of air and I lower my hand.
‘…Jenny…’
OK.  That may have been what I heard.
My heart races and I lift my hand once again.  I stick it over the books and place it on the wood back of the shelf.  It’s freezing.  There’s a wind coming between the board edges.  There’s some thing behind here.  A shiver runs through me and I pull my hand back. 
‘…JENNY!...’
The bell above my front door rings just as the voice barks.  I yelp and jump out of my skin toward the front door. 
I hold my heart as I catch my breath.  I turn back and look at the shelf.  The wind seems to have stopped.  I place my hand back on the wood and it’s warm.  There’s no wind.  I pull it back and eye the shelf one last time.  I’m probably exhausted.  I’ve been working a lot these last few days.
I turn my attention to the customer who just walked in. 
I exit the alcove with a smile until I see who it is.  The young man with long on top, black hair is wandering around the walls with his hands behind his back.  He’s wearing a green suit with yellow pinstripes and a yellow polka dotted tie.  A really strange suit for a man.  Then I remember.  He’s one of the ones from a few weeks before.  The four strange people that walked in.  I looked for the others, but determine he’s alone. 
He's scanning the walls.  His eyes looking, but it feels like he’s not looking for books.  I watch his movements around the store with curiosity.  What’s he looking for? 
I watch him turn to the alcove. 
Stepping up behind him, I smile.  “Can I help you?”
He spins on his toes and stuffs his hands in his pants pockets.  He has a very smug look and carries himself as a superior.  His jaw and mouth is lined with a nicely trimmed goatee and beard line.  His eyes are dark and his features are sharp. 
“Yes.  Tell me.  Have you experienced anything…strange…in this store?”  His English accent was thick and his posturing felt off to me. 
“Strange?”  I look into his eyes with confusion. 
“Yes.  Strange.  Weird noises or voices…Things that feel…not quite right.  Things you can’t explain.”  He lifts his chin and looks down at me.
My mind immediately goes to the back wall and what I felt when I was there.  My heart skips and my skin heats.  I don’t know who this man is, but I know this is not a discussion I want to have with him.
I turn and head to my register. “I don’t know what you mean.” 
He follows.  “I mean, things not of this reality.  Things that belong in fiction.  Anything like that.” 
I let out a nervous giggle and hold myself.  I don’t like his line of questioning, but my sleepwalking could definitely fit in a book. “N-No.  I don’t think…”
He leans on my counter with his hands and tilts his head.  “I know you have.  Tell me.”  His voice was low and held a hint of threat. 
“Listen.  I sell books.  This is a store.  The only things weird are the bookworms.”  I say quietly, my mouth small and my face full of caution. 
He slams the counter, making me jump.  “Tell me!”  He grits. 
I step back and hold myself as I start to tremble.  My eyes stare at him.  “Please leave.”  I politely demand. 
He looks around the store, arches a brow, then glares at me.  The level of uncomfortableness I’m feeling right now is off the charts. 
He must of sensed it because his demeanor  changed.  He pushes off the counter and reaches into his suit jacket pocket.  He pulls out a small, rectangular, white business card. 
The corner of his mouth ticks up and he quietly huffs a laugh.  “I deeply apologize for frightening you.  I forget my manners on occasion.  I shall take my leave, but before I go…”  He drops the card on my countertop.  “If anything happens.  Any little thing…”  He taps the card with his finger.  “Do call.”  He eyes me once more, turns and walks out of the front door. 
My eyes flick to the card.  I reach out and pick it up.  The card is stark white with a black circle.  In the circle is a star.  I’ve seen this symbol before just like I’ve seen these people.  I look up and search my mind.  Then it dawns on me. 
Taking the card with me, I rush to the fantasy section.  I search the books.  My eyes read the spines as my fingers follow along the shelf.  Then I find it and pull the thick book out.  It’s an old first edition. 
“The Sorcerer’s Apprentice”
I open the book and flip the title page to an artwork page.  I position the card beside a bottom corner where a symbol was drawn under the artwork.  The symbols are an exact match.  The picture is a kingdom of strong kings and knights posing with dead enemies at their feet.  In the background is a group of people.  I lean closer to see them.  Not being able to see detail, I take the book back to my counter and search for a magnifying glass.  I find it in a drawer and take it out.  I hover it over the group.  It’s eight people in robes and suits.  All funny colors and making no sense.  Six men and two women.  I look closer.  One young man and one young woman are slightly holding hands.  The old man in the center of the group, I recognize.  He’s dressed in robes, but looks exactly like the man I spoke to a few weeks ago.  What was his name?  I stop and think. 
“Windum.”  I whisper. 
I turn to the card.  The young man said to call him.  I flip it over, but there’s no number.  Just a name.  “Euris.”  Underneath are the words.  “High Council Of Sorcerers.”
My brows come together as my head floats between the card and the book.  What does this mean? 
The bell above the door rings violently, and again, I jump out of my skin with a yelp.
I, again, have to catch my breath as Deacon walks in.
“Hey, gorgeous.  I’m sorry.  Did I scare you?”  He grins as he struts up to the counter.
I swallow my heart and straighten myself.  “No.  Not really.”  I smile. 
He lifts the cover of the book I have on the counter.  “Not your usual.  Is it naughty?”  He smirks.
“It was a kids cartoon.”  I cross my arms and eye him.
He leans on the counter.  “So was the beast.”  He bounces his brow.
I giggle.  “No.  It’s not naughty.  It’s about a peasant boy becoming a magician.”  I inform as I walk the book back to where I got it. 
“Oh, too bad.  Hot times with magic, I’d be down with that.”  He grins and slides his hands in his jacket. 
I walk back to the counter, open my register and place the card in my till.  I don’t know, but I feel like if that guy became trouble, I may need it for evidence. 
I lean on the counter.  “What are you doing here?  I though you had meetings.”  I turn my head slightly and smile.
“I did then I said to myself, ‘Self.  What the hell?  You have a hot, sultry, sexy woman and you’re hanging around with these animals?  What the hell is wrong with you?’”  He grins and leans on the counter.  Our lips barely an inch apart. 
“You didn’t cancel work because of me.”  I say with doubt.
“OK.  I didn’t.  Meetings are boring and I hate boredom.”  He smirks.
I chuckle and push back. 
He walks around the counter and wraps his arms around my waist.  “I did want to see you though.”  He leans down and kisses me.  I hold his cheeks and kiss him back. 
‘…Jenny…’
I stop in mid kiss and my eyes shoot open and look to the alcove.
Deacon breaks the kiss.  “What’s wrong?”
My eyes turn back from the alcove to his.  “Nothing.  Nothing important.”
‘…Jenny…’
The spectral voice hits my ears again.  This has to be a joke or something.  “Uh…I love that you shirked your responsibilities to see me, but you need to go.”
“What?  No.  I don’t want to go to meetings.”  He leans back.  “Besides.  I still want to talk about you moving in with me.” 
“I told you.  I’m not moving in with you.”  I say again.
“Why not?”  He leans a hand on the counter and places his other on his hip.
“Because.  First of all, I don’t want to out of some macho possessive thing.”  I fold my arms. 
“Macho possessive…”
I hold a finger up to him.  “Second, this is the first time I’ve been on my own and I want to enjoy it a bit before I jump into moving in with someone.”
“Jenny…”  He starts.
“Deacon.  I can take care of myself.  I don’t need you to protect me all the time.”  I’m starting to get irritated with this bubble he’s trying to squeeze me into. 
“I just want to help.  If you’re worried about the store…”  He reaches out to try and hold me. 
I stop him and spin him around.  “I’m not worried about anything.  You need to stop worrying about me.”
“Jenn…There’s something weird going on with you and I don’t like leaving you.”  He turns back around.
“There’s nothing wrong with me Deacon.  I was just homesick.”  I snip. 
“What about back there?  That was weird, Jenn.”  He motions to the alcove.
“It hasn’t happened since.  I’m fine.”  I state. 
“OK.”  He holds up a hand.  “It would just make me feel better.  There’s something strange about this whole thing.  Please, just humor me.” 
“No.  I won’t…humor you.”  I refuse. 
“Why are you being so stubborn all of a sudden?  I’m only doing what’s best for you.”  He leans to me. 
“Who asked you to, Dea?  I didn’t.  We haven’t known each other long enough for you to know what’s best.  I’m sorry.  I don’t need another father.  I already have one.”  I push past him to the door. 
He follows me.  “No.  I’m not fathering you. I care, damn it.  My gut is telling me somethings off.  Please.  Just listen to me.”  He pleads.
“Leave, Deacon.”  I open the door and stare into his eyes.  I’m not shying or backing down.  I want my independence and he’s not taking it from me.
“Fine.”  He mumbles.  “We'll…talk about this later.”
“Fine.”
He gives me one last look and his large frame exits the door.  I watch as he walks up the sidewalk and shut the door. 
I was probably too harsh on him for caring, but there’s something telling me, now’s not the time for running away.
Between the sleepwalking, mysterious men and voices?  Dea's right.  There is something going on and I have to find out what.
I turn to the store.  I chew my cheek as my brows come together.  There’s something here that only wants to reveal itself to me.  I feel it.  If I leave now, I won’t find out what that is. 
I feel the slight breeze from the alcove again.  I spin around and walk out of the store.  I go around to the back and walk up to the wall where the shelf sits on the other side. 
I look at the brick wall of the building.  Searching for any explanation.  I inspect the mortar and brick for cracks or holes.  Anything that would allow air to get in. 
I stand in the back alley amongst the trash bins and look up and down it then back at the wall.  This is too strange. 
My heels click on the pavement as I walk back to the front.  I look up my quiet street.  All the air around my shop feels weird.  It feels like it’s watching me.
I step back in, lock the door and walk to the alcove. 
I feel the wood and the frigid feeling is back.  The entire shelf feels frozen. 
“That tears it.”  I press my lips together and start pull books off the shelf and piling them on the floor.  I clear off as high as I can reach up the eight foot shelf.  It’s six foot wide shelves held a lot of books, but it wasn’t stopping me from getting to the back of it.
Once the shelves were empty, I lifted them off and tossed them to the floor as well. 
Now it was just me and the wood wall.  The cold air was even more prominent.  I rubbed my arms against the bite.  I stepped close and inspected it for anything.  Around the forth board from the bottom, a chip in the edge of the wood revealed something.  I reached into my pocket and pulled out my phone.  Turning my flashlight on, I directed the light to the small hole.  My face turns to confusion as I see the green paint of something on the brick wall behind the shelf.
I step back, put my phone back and look at the shelf again. 
I turn and jog to a supply closet.  Inside, I search all the boxes of construction and paint supplies.  I pull out a clawed hammer.
Raising its head to my eyes, I give it a spin in my hand.  My head turns to the door.  I slowly nod as I leave and make a beeline for the wall. 
I lift the claw to the broken board, shove it in the hole and pull.  The sound of nails and wood fill the area as the board creaks and complains.  I get one end off and drop the hammer.  Grabbing the loose board, I pull and back up.  The board again complains as it’s other side starts to loosen. 
I pull with everything I have, then the nails give way. I fly back, hitting a pile of books and landing my but on the floor.  The board hits me and I squeak as I protect my head.
I fix my glasses and raise my eyes to the large hole I just made.  I have to blink to even register what I found.  My mind goes to the alley and the blank brick wall as I stare at the bottom of a green wooden door. 
The wind kicks up and I swallow.
‘…find me…’
The wind whistles from the hole.
I stand and take a second to think.  I walk over, squat and pick up the hammer. 
Board after board.  My hands pulled each one off.  I’m sweating, scared and determined.  I have to make this make sense because right now, none of this should be real.
I reach up and drive my hammer into the top board.  I pull and it tears off.  I grab the wood and twist it off.  Tossing it behind me, I take in my entire discovery.  A standard, carved wooden door with a gold handle.  There’s a keyhole, but no key.  I get close.  My hand travels to a carving in the center.  A circle with a star.  My fingers trace the shape.  Vibrations fill my fingers as I move around the wood. 
I hold my breath as I lower my hand to the gold handle.  I don’t know what I think this is, but if Narnia is real, I’m freaking out. 
My fingers wrap around the knob and my wrist twists.  It turns smoothly and I hear the tiny click of the release. 
I blow out my breath and push.  The door opens.
My eyes look into the tiny gap as light hits my eyes from inside. 
“Hello?”