003

We walked through the small caretaking unit, that was on the shore.

"Can I pet your dog?"

"Yeah, he loves ear scratches."

"Live, love, ear scratches. Aww."

Yes, that was me. We walked inside to the main coast guard worker and tried talking to him, but, of course, he was busy helping others.

"So, what's the plan?" I asked before the group matched up again. "I know we're going to find the guy who owns the boat," John B said, holding up the motel key I found earlier that day in the sunken boat.

"We don't know whose room that is! It could be anyone!" Pope excused.

"I'm in," JJ agreed. "Me too," I agreed, as John B passed the key to me and I passed it to Kie. "Come on! We'll be lookout!" Kie persuaded.

"Finders Fee. Just sayin'," I helped persuade, walking alongside my brother. "And hey, at least you'll only be an accomplice," John B agreed. "Come on, bubba," I said, walking onto the boardwalk.

-|-

As we neared the motels on the Pogue, we all realized that they gave a drug dealer type of feel. JJ whistled at the shit show. "And I thought the Château looked bad," he said. "I know, right," I agreed.

"Motel or meth lab?" Me and Kie mentioned, and JJ laughed. "You be the judge."

"Though of how spiffy this place is," I sarcastically added, "it doesn't look like the place someone with a Grady-White stays," John B answered. "Bingo."

"No, looks like a place someone with a Grady-White would get killed," Pope said.

"All right, here we go," JJ said.

"This is your Captain speaking. HMS Pogue comin' in for landing," JJ said, as if he was talking through static. "Wooh!" He excitedly said, jumping onto land. He tied us onto land and hopped on the grass. I hopped off the boat and held up a thumb, saying we were tied. "Hey!" Pope yelled at me and John B.

"Don't let him do anything stupid," he instructed, meaning JJ. JJ, leaning on the boat, scoffed.

"Oh, we will," I laughed. "We can't make any promises."

"Yeah, I know," Pope disengaged. "Be careful," Kie instructed my brother, hugging me, and placing the key in my hand. "You too," she pointed to me. "I mean it," she said, softly.

"Heh, yeah..." John B said, blushing.

"No macking, you two," Pope yelled, meaning me and JJ. "I won't let it happen," my brother exclaimed. I rolled my eyes. "Jesus Christ, we're just friends," I mumbled.

-|-

I walked in front of the guys, hearing every word but being silent. We were on the second level of the motel. "Just be so careful, John," JJ mocked Kie. "God, you're so weird," John B questioned. "What was that about?" JJ laughed. "I don't know. Maybe she just wants us to be careful."

"Since she heard you and Dyl were being threatened with exile, she's just been like 'oh! Be so careful, John B!' Or like, 'Oh! Give me some of that John D already!' When are you going to swoop on that, man?!" JJ mocked. "Bro, you know the rule!"

"No Pogue-on-Pogue macking. Besides, you're the one always hitting on my sister!" John B scolded.

"Because your sister is like a super hot, super smart, sassy kook, but Pogue! Your sister's going places, man," JJ said, very loudly, tapping my shoulder playfully.

"J, you're really loud. You know that, right? Thanks for the compliments, though," I said, turning around and holding my arms out.

"Anyway, I know that door's locked because I've tried it."