022

We drove to the "top" of the island, looking above everything. I stood beside JJ, who held me at my waist, as we looked over Battery Jasper, the Old Forts. "We're in Battery right here," Pope pointed. "So, if this is Parcel Nine, then it's somewhere northeast of here."

"Over there," I pointed outwards. "Over there? Guys, that's not Tannyhill, that's a subdivision," JJ said, letting go of my waist and pointing to where I was pointing. "Tannyhill Plantation was the entire island. It got sold into smaller pieces overtime," John B explained. "So, we're just looking for an old stone wall."

-|-

"That's a stone wall to me," I said, staring at a literally stone wall. "And of course, it's right by the Crain's," I said, throwing my head back, knowing the disturbing myth.

We all got out and I scoffed. "Are you kidding me," I asked JJ. "Worst case scenario..." he began, but didn't finish. "Why'd it have to be here.." Pope asked himself. "I heard that Mrs. Crain buried her husbands head on the property," JJ told us. I shivered, but walked forward, climbing the wall.

-|-

"Look, you guys know whose house this is, right?" Kie asked.

"Yeah, I do," JJ answered. "But honestly, I don't believe the stories of this place," my brother added, and I pointed my finger up in approval. "Ditto," I added, letting out a chuckle. JJ walked closer to me, looking at me. "Which stories did you hear?"

"The one where she butchered her husband with an axe. And that she's been holed up ever since. And on certain nights, when the moon is full...you can see her in the window!" I said, scrunching my fingers in JJ's face, laughing. "No, it's not funny, cause it's all true."

"Waah," I mimicked a ghost.

"I swear to God, guys, this is all true. I knew Hollis." JJ jumped, looking at the statue of some Greek goddess. Artemis, maybe?

He lifted up his fists, ready to start swinging. I grabbed his hand, putting it down. "Jesus, babe, you don't have to be so paranoid," I mocked, laughing. Pope, in the background gagged at JJ and my's nicknames for one another.

"Wait, you knew Hollis Crain?" Pope asked JJ. "Yeah, dude."

"Dude, how do you know Hollis Crain?"

"She was my babysitter, man. She told me all about it. Told me the truth...about her mother... and what happened in this house. So, as a kid, she heard all the stories that her mother killed her father, and she was a murderer in all. Hollis didn't believe it. Until that night."

I could swear JJ was overreacting a bit, and
over-exaggerating, but at the same exact time, so surreal and believable. "What night?" I asked.

"It all came back to her. When Hollis was six years old, she heard her parents arguing downstairs. So, she goes downstairs to see her mom washing her hands in a sink... full of blood. Her mother just says that she cut her finger. The next morning, she says her father and he split up. But then, Hollis noticed something. Her mother going into the parlor constantly, in and out and in and out with plastic bags. Weeks pass, and Hollis decided to use the outhouse. And as she's using it, she looks down, and there, in the outhouse, is her father's head, looking straight back at her."

I scrunched my eyebrows. Why did it take her weeks to finally use the outhouse?

"God, you are so full of shit!" John B exclaimed.

"Dude, I swear to God, man," JJ bickered.

"Did she call the police?" Pope asked, continuing the story. "She didn't have enough time."

I followed my brother, who began walking inside. I felt JJ's hand pulling me back, and in defense, I grabbed my brother's shirt. "You sure you wanna do this? She's an axe murderer. Your brother has a cast on, and you are a tiny little midget—"

"I'm only an inch or two shorter than you!" I explained.

"I don't give a shit if she's an axe murderer, okay? I got nothin' to lose. You comin' or what?" John B asked.

He began walking inside, and everyone else behind them, except J and I. I began walking forward, only for JJ told place his arm in front of me, shoving me back.

"Stay behind me," he said, trying to protect me as if something went wrong. "Okay," I said, rolling my eyes, so JJ playfully shoved my head.

...

We sat right behind a bush, crouching down and whispering.

"Here's the plan. We need to look for the wheat near the water like it said in Denmark's letter."

"Okay, like what kind of water?" Pope asked. "Pond water?" He questioned.

"Bong water?" JJ asked, letting out a sly chuckle.

"No, it- just look for water, okay?" I asked everyone.

"That's the shittiest secret message ever," Kie said, beginning to walk inside.

"You wanna complain a little more, Kie? Nobody said it was gonna be easy!" John B bickered with Kie. Pope whispered to me and JJ.

"I'll search the northwest quadrant, you two search the northwest," he explained. "The decapitation quadrant," JJ clarified, suddenly nervous.

"Calm down, J. You're with me," I smiled, grabbing his hand.

"Only cause I'm with you, okay, Routledge?"

"Ok, Mr. Maybank."

He scoffed as we slowly walked forward. "Don't call me that. That's a name for a man who's civilized."

I laughed quietly. "Fair point."

...

"C'mon! It's the only place we haven't looked!" My brother whispered, as JJ was bullied by birds, and I was following the path. I ran over to my brother, leaving JJ behind.

"Dylan! Dylan! Dylan Blaken Routledge—oh nevermind.." JJ called after me.

We walked inside the basement, as JJ caught up to me and poked my shoulder.

"We had a deal!" He bickered. I only nodded, giving a sly smirk in return.

"Down came Mrs. Crain and cut off all our heads. Up came the sun and dried up all the blood," JJ said, making up a not-so-fun rhyme.

"Can you stop?" Pope asked, pointing at him with my flashlight.

I followed a path, only to figure out it was a dead end, and walked back over. "Another dead end," she asked. I only nodded. I felt the pipes, only to find them drier than a grandma's ass.

"There's not even water on the pipes. There's no water here," I confirmed.

"Not a dropamino," JJ added. "Know why we didn't find it? Bad karma," Kie complained.

I scoffed, turning and facing her. "Oh my fucking god, Kie. 'Karma's a bitch', if I believed in it." Kie walked over to me.

"Since you and your brother roped Barbie into it," Kie mocked.