063

We drove through OBX, dumb smiles on our faces and music ringing in our ears. John B turned to me and glared.

"What?" I questioned, kicking my feet up on the dashboard.

"Couldn't you have just stomped right up to the police and say, 'hey, I want my van back!' Why didn't you get it?" He asked me, and I rolled my eyes.

"Sorry, I was mourning the loss of my dead brother and struggling during school. And then, figuring out he was alive and in the Bahamas. Of course a van should've been the first thought in my mind," I shrugged, crossing my arms.

"Aww. You were mourning me?" He asked with a playful tone. "You do care."

I waved it off. "Yeah. Don't think you're special or anything."

He laughed and I let out a small laugh too.

"Fine, I'll admit. I missed you, Bird."

"I missed you, too, Zazu," he answered, patting my leg. We had a small pause, but he laughed. "Plus, I do have a pretty missable face—"

"Are you serious right now?!" I bursted out, laughing.

"Kinda. Yeah."

I rolled my eyes and faced the other way, as my brother was called by Pogues in the streets. The usual: "you're out!" In which my brother answered: "I'm freakin' freeeee!"

"We gotta get home. The gang's all there," I told him, writing down stuff in my journal.

"Home," he repeated.

~|~

We pulled into the Chateau. I could see JJ, Kie and Pope at the Surf Shack. We honked at them, and they turned to look at us.

They all stared at the Twinkie as me and my brother got out.

"Are you serious?" I could hear Kie laugh, as I walked to the other side of the Twinkie.

"Hold on. Am I dreaming right now?" JJ asked, as my brother shut his door.

"Guess who's out of the clink, boy!" John B cheered, skipping towards them like a child. I locked my arms around his shoulder, holding him there.

"No freakin' way, man!" Pope added, as they all rushed over towards my brother and me. Kie cheered along with us, running forward and hugging my brother.

"Bro!" Pope laughed.

"My boy's out of the can!" JJ smiled, as we all hugged each other.

"We missed you!" Kie said.

"I missed you guys too," John B admitted.

We all broke out of the hug, looking at John B, honestly in doubt. "How'd you do it?" JJ began to ask him. "You bust out?"

"Uh, they dropped the charges," John B answered and I shrugged.

"Maybe the gun had a little bit to do with it," I said, sucking my teeth.

Kie laughed at me. "So you didn't almost die for nothing?" She teased, giving me a high five.

"Hell yeah!" I added, as JJ hooked his arm around my waist.

"So, you're telling me I did alllll that work for nothing?" JJ said, a bit pissed.