058

We waited at the Chateau for Pope and Kie to get back, which took them until the morning.

When we heard the Pogue get back, we all booked it for them and the dock. They began tying up, only for J and I to stop them.

"Finally," J scoffed.

"Don't tie up!" I shouted. "Stop! We're going."

Kie looked back at me, completely confused. "Why?"

"We're dipping," JJ sighed, pulling me right behind him as we both got onto the boat, Sarah and JB right behind us.

"Wait, why?" Pope asked, just as confused as Kie.

"What? What are you talking about?" Kie added.

"Where did you guys go? What happened last night?" My brother asked, helping Sarah walk, who still wasn't doing too well with her gunshot.

"We slept on the break. What's up?" Pope answered, staring at me.

JJ patted him on the shoulder. "Yeah, slept. Right. We were up all night," he exclaimed. "We gotta get the leaving shit the hell out of here," I added.

"Rafe knows we're here, so we have to leave, like, now," Sarah explained, as me and JJ were getting the boat ready and set up.

"Okay," Kie agreed.

~|~

"Look, if Rafe and Barry know, it's only a matter of time before the whole island knows," I explained. We settled down on a small island outside of the main part of OBX. I had sat down on the grass.

"I told you. We should've gone south, man," JJ said, pacing back and forth.

"Just stop it," John B added.

"Why does no one ever listen?"

"I get it. I get it. I understand!" John B raised his tone, making JJ turn around.

"I have an idea," Sarah spoke up. We all looked at her, because honestly, we'd listen to anything at this point. "With me back, my dad's going to have to choose between me and Rafe."

"Sarah—" I began, with high doubts.

"Just please listen, Dyls—"

"No. You listen to me, please," I demanded. "From what I heard, Ward keeps lying to you. He won't agree after all that's happened. And I'm sorry. I've already lost my dad. And I thought I lost my brother and you. I can't have anything happen to any of you. We've come too far," I said, motioning to all of us Pogues.

"Dyls, I... I know it sounds crazy."

"Yeah, it does-" Kie began.

"I know!" Sarah answered.

Crickets. Crickets. Crickets. 🦗

"But, he's my dad. And I know him, and I know he loves me. I'm just asking for two hours."

JJ threw his arms up in defeat. I shut my eyes, taking a long, deep breath. I slowly nodded. Sarah stood up, beginning to walk back towards the Pogue.

"Be careful, Sare," I said with a warning, but caring tone.

"I will."

...

We all sat there in the marsh, but on the beach side. We all waited for Sarah, as I paced back and forth anxiously.

JJ continued to try to calm me down, unsuccessfully. We continued to get lumber for a fire, not that I was much help.

"Babe, you gotta calm down," JJ said, grabbing a piece of wood for me.