048

That night, I laid in my bed, not used to the freakin of sleeping alone. After our fight, JJ had laid onto the couch and fell asleep.

I went back to my bed, tired and practically collapsed onto my bed, but never fell asleep. I had tossed and turned, trying to get comfortable.

I sat up, and cleared my throat, drying to get rid of its dryness. I stood up from my bed, slowly l began walking out to the kitchen.

I grabbed my water bottle on the table, and looked at JJ on the couch. He was out, laying in his bare stomach.

I bit my lip, softly sighing. I put the bottle down, beginning to walk over to him.

His sandy blonde hair was over his face and his hand was cuddling the pillow, even after he was asleep.

"Jayj?" I whispered, to no response. I softly moved his hair out of the way of his eyes. I rubbed my thumb against his jawline, trying not to wake him up.

I sighed. "Good night." I pressed my lips against his temple, softly.

I could hear his soft snores as I began to stood up. I walked back to my room, lying back into my bed as if nothing happened.

~|~

The next day, we met back at the construction site, looking through a small pool, which was cut off from the marsh water by plastic.

JJ and I still hadn't talked to each other, and even if he was sleeping last night, he hadn't mentioned it, or really talked. I caught him staring at me a few times, but looked away as soon as I realized.

"This is the north draining. It should've gotten washed into the gully. So, if it got flushed out from this drain, it would've been pushed out to, like—" JJ explained, motioning over the plastic.

"Somewhere in this trash," Pope cut in.

"Oh my God," Kie sighed. "People who use plastic should be shot."

I jumped into the water, splashing it onto Pope, who splashed back at me.

"Okay, personally," JJ added, "I love plastic. Use it every day. Love the stuff."

"Hopefully, you recycle it and don't let it flush into the ocean," she scoffed.

"I thought you'd say something like that," Pope said, holding up trash bags. "Sooo, trash bags."

"Did you just proactively protect the environment?"

"Maybe," Pope said. The two smiled at each other, blushing.

"You want me and Dylan to leave you two alone, or what's going on—" JJ began, before Pope threw the trash bag roll at him.

"Just pick up the trash."

"Yes, MOM," I teased Pope.

...

"Well, that was fun," JJ said, wiping off a bead of sweat from his forehead.

We had cleaned out at least 7 trash bags full of plastic, and still, no gun.

"If it's not in the trash, then it's gotta be in the storm drain," Pope exclaimed, pointing towards the circular drain, a little bigger than human sized. It was covered by wire, making sure no one would get in, and keeping everyone out.