023

"Now, the trail ran dry, since you both decided to bring Barbie into it. Coincidence, I think not."

I scoffed again. John B stepped forward. "You know what? This is exactly why I didn't want to tell you about Sarah."

"Yeah?" Kie asked sarcastically.

"What the hell's the deal with you two?" John asked her, almost sizing her up. "Nothing."

"Is it because I kissed you? Is that the problem?"

Kie, unexpectedly, slabbed my brother across you face with a loud slap.

"Oh, shit," JJ said, a slight laugh. "That echoed, bro!" I said, covering my hand on my mouth so I wouldn't laugh. Something about being in a potential murderer's house, her BASEMENT, of all places, made this so much funnier.

"Stop treating me like I'm some girl that's obsessed with you instead of you best friend who's actually to look out for you."

I sarcastically laughed. "You know what, Kie? That's funny. Because Sarah backstabbed me before and I'm fine with my brother dating her. Just saying, you were the one that dropped the ball saying I was raped by my ex-boyfriend so," I said, squinting my eyes as Kiara scowled at me.

"That... was my bad..." Kie sighed, looking at me.

I put my hands on my hips. "My bad, my ass," I scoffed. "You're lucky I'm not that pissed as much as I should be right now," I said, shaking my head.

"Did— did you just hit me?" John B asked her, in which she held up her hand. "Skeeter," she said, looking at the dead mosquito on her palm.

"Skeeter?" John scoffed.

"Yeah, see it—"

John B then smacked her too, as a mosquito landed on her cheek. Kiara scowled. "Where's your proof?"

He held up his hand. "Skeeter."

I looked at JJ, who forced a laugh and slightly raised his hand. "Don't you think about it," I warned.

He slapped my arm, holding it up at the dead skeeter. "That's it— today is the day you die," I warned.

"Ah, there's nothing I'd want me than to be slapped and murdered by my girlfriend. Hooray," JJ smiled at me, as I slapped him, holding up my hand. "Skeeter."

"Why is there so many mosquitoes in a basement?" Pope asked, as me and JJ kept on going back and forth playfully hitting one another. "Damn. Vampire bats," I said, sucking my teeth.

"Oh my gosh! Okay, can we leave? Cause I'm already *itching* to leave?" JJ asked and I forced a laugh. "Ha-ha. Punny."

"Ha-ha. Such a good joke. Very punny," I scoffed.

"I know, right? It's so good—" he was interrupted by Pope ripping apart some boards in the floor, desperately.

"Pope, shhhh," I warned.

"Dyl, help me move this," he asked me, and I obeyed. I pushed off all the excess boards that were lying on top, and began getting the other ones.

Underneath was a large hole, a well, going unknowingly down, as if forever. It was pitch dark. I pointed my flashlight, looking down.

"Well, well, well," Pope laughed.

"That was a good dad joke," John B muttered, scooting beside me. I looked down into the well. It was unbelievable. "They built this part of the house right over it," Kie muttered.

JJ poked my shoulder. "This is where she hid the bodies."

"Stop!" Kiara whined.

"I'm serious!"