10 | watch yourself

10 | watch yourself

A x e l  W h i t e

I don't think I've appreciated the cool, green grass as much as I do right now

I don't think I've appreciated the cool, green grass as much as I do right now. My sweat soaks my hair and my clothes, and drips into the ground. I breathe heavily and close my eyes, deciding I need about five more minutes of stillness.

"Aviana!" A voice yells. I try to block it out. School is over. He can't tell me what to do now.

Soon a foot nudges my side.

"No," I mumble. "Too tired to move."

"Get up, Ember," Axel nudges my side again, "I don't have all day."

I groan and get up, hunched over and thirsty. I look around. Everyone left already. "Coming," I mutter.

Axel watches me walk away from him. He jogs after me. "You need any help?" He asks. "You played well today."

"Nope," I mumble, "and I'm never doing that again."

He chuckles and hands me the soccer ball. "Put this away for me? And bring the keys for the change room into the phys ed hall when you're done?"

I nod. I was hoping I'd seen him enough for a day. I rush ahead and take the ball into the gymnasium, throwing it into the bin with the rest of the soccer balls. I find the girls change room, glad that there are a few girls still changing. They leave me too and I decide to lock the door and take a shower, washing the grass and sweat out of my hair.

I dry up and pull on a pair of comfy track pants and a sweatshirt, and lock up the change room.

Axel isn't waiting in the phys ed hall. I walk up to the guys change room and hear someone inside. I clear my throat, knocking on the open door, and peer inside. Axel looks around the corner and grins.

"Hey, come here."

I frown. "Inside?"

"Yeah, no one else is in here."

I grunt, "It smells disgusting." I set my stuff down and go in anyway.

"No kidding," Axel laughs. Luckily, he's still in his clothes and not completely naked.

"Uh, so I have the keys to the girl's change room," I tell him.

He turns around, wiping his face with a dry towel, running it over his hair too. He motions to one of the benches and says, "just put them down on the bench."

I do as he says and mutter, "okay. Goodbye."

"No, wait a second," He calls after me. I sigh and walk back into the change room. I look up at Axel's bruised, handsome face in boredom. "I'll give you a ride home."

I scramble for words. There is no way I'm getting into a car with him. "It's okay, I don't mind walking."

"You said you were tired," he raises his brows, throwing the towel into a bag. He motions to the bench again. "I'll take you home, just sit down, I'll be like a minute."