36 | the Smith family

I CAN SEE THE FINISH LINE FROM HERE!! DON'T FORGET TO VOTE (:

36 | the Smith family

we're planning on moving 

I can only think about Axel in the hospital with his father when I go home to get cleaned up

I can only think about Axel in the hospital with his father when I go home to get cleaned up. I'm nervous, but I'm also ecstatic, and filled with happiness for him. I know this is going to go well. It has to. Axel has lost so much already; been through utter hell. He deserves more than anything he has ever had, and yet he has hardly wished for anything. He needs his father now, and even though I know nothing about Andrew and his family, I have a good feeling about this. 

I find myself mumbling that to myself as I shower and change, and pack some things to take back to the hospital as I ring my mom again. 

"Hey love," she answers. "What's up?"

"I came home to clean up," I tell her. "Axel's dad is visiting him now. I thought I'd give them some time alone to catch up. Do you think I should have stayed?"

"No, I think this'll be good for the both of them," she says. "I hope it works out."

"God. Me too, Mom. You should've seen his face when Andrew came in," I say, smiling to myself. 

"Awe. I miss that sweet boy already. I'm so glad you two worked things out. Everything is good between you two though, right?" 

"Yes, it's all good. More than good. I'm so happy I'm here. Seattle is awesome. You should come visit soon."

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about actually," Mom says on the other end. I stop what I'm doing when she says, "we want to come up and support you during Axel's court hearing. Would you be okay with that?" 

I gasp. "What? Yes! Hell yes. I miss you guys so much. So does Axel. We could use your company honestly, especially since Axel's going to be bedridden for awhile and I still have school. I have another scenario in a couple days actually."

"Good luck with that sweetie. We're so proud of you," Mom tells me. "You should take some time off work too. We'll send you and Axel money, okay?" 

"Okay. Thank you. I love you." 

"I love you too," Mom says. "I have to get going to work now, but we'll talk soon. Let me know when the hearing is, and we'll plan a date to fly out."

"Sounds good. Talk to you later."

I hang up and clean up the apartment a bit before deciding to take a nap in our bed before going back to the hospital, not wanting to interrupt a bonding moment between father and son.

・・・

Axel was released from the hospital two days ago. He has to be in a wheelchair until he fully heals, so I help him get dressed before meeting my parents and Will and the girls at their hotel before going to Axel's dad's family home for Sunday dinner. I can tell how nervous Axel is to see his dad again, and finally meet his stepmom and step siblings, but he doesn't seem to want to talk about it. He has been a bit brighter though since my family came into town.