12 | you alone are valid

that slimy bastard is going to jail

I hate that I'm like this, but sometimes I just want to avoid everyone

I hate that I'm like this, but sometimes I just want to avoid everyone. I want to go home, curl up in a blanket with a good book and forget about the world. I feel exactly this way as I sit on the benches outside of the English wing and none other Axel's Nicole walks out of the door, her eyes landing on me instantly. I pretend not to notice her, upset that she's so close to Axel and I'm not, but she notices me, and starts approaching.

I almost close my book and walk away. I already can't stand her. I know I don't know her but I sure as hell don't want to.

"Aviana, right?" She comes closer, and there's no running away now without being a freaking asshole.

I put on my best fake smile. "That's me. Who would you be?"

She gives me a grin as she sits down that says 'you know who I am', but she holds out her hand anyway and mumbles, "Nicole. Nice to meet you."

I shake her hand, trying not think about where she has touched Axel. "You too," I reply, but it really isn't.

She doesn't quite understand my problem with her, although it's obvious there is one, and I realize that no one really knows about what has happened between Axel and me. "Um, so, do you have a moment to talk, right now?" She asks, and I glance down at my phone to make up an excuse, but I have like a half hour before next period, so there's nothing I can do to get away. I just shrug, and she sighs, "good," leaning back against bench.

I look at her carefully, trying not to be jealous of how absolutely gorgeous she is, how smooth her almost platinum blond hair and her face is, but since she's been with Axel, and is still with him, I just hate her so much.

She sighs then, and looks away from me to start, "my best friend tried to commit suicide."

I gasp, my hand instinctively flying up to her shoulder to squeeze it in comfort, and mumble, "I'm so sorry," even though I have no idea why she's telling me this.

"It's been two years, and she's okay now," she goes on, not even bothered by my hand still on her shoulder. "But there's something that she's never going to get back. And it's been haunting her for such a long time," she weeps, pressing her fingers against her brow bone, "and it's partially my fault she hasn't been able to move on."

I nod, trying to understand.

She glances back at me and bursts out, "she was raped by Tanner."

I swallow hard, my face burning. "You've heard about the rumours, I'm guessing."

"They're not just rumours, are they Aviana?" She gazes at me, and I wish she'd just call me Avi because calling me by full name reminds me too much of Axel.