27 | I'm sleeping over

A x e l  a n d  M a r s

I jump back and almost have a heart attack when I close my locker door and Sam Henders leans against the one beside it

I jump back and almost have a heart attack when I close my locker door and Sam Henders leans against the one beside it. "Hey," she smiles, "you ready?"

I swing my backpack over my shoulder and frown. "For?"

She has a duffle bag in her hands, and she holds it up. "I'm sleeping over."

I laugh, but she doesn't. Is she serious? What I do I say? 'No, I don't want you to sleepover.' 'Um, we're not friends?' 'Why?'

"Um, like," I can't get the words out. "Are we like friends now or something? We've talked like once and I don't know anything about you."

She smiles. "I wasn't asking, hun. I'm sleeping over."

I open my mouth. Is she threatening me? I stare back at her determined face and realize that I actually don't care if she sleeps over, in fact, she's kind of starting to grow on me, which I wouldn't have expected after she called me annoying and asked if I sell cocaine.

"Well, okay then," I nod. "I don't have a car, so I usually walk —"

"I do," she smiles, "you'll just have to give directions. Do you live far?" She questions as we walk down the hallway to the parking lot. "I'm guessing you don't live that far if you walk to school," she comments. "But you never know. Some people have to. I guess you could take the city bus if you want, but it makes a lot of stops, so you'd be on it for like, over a half hour."

We walk outside and I manage to catch her eye. "Is everything alright?"

She sighs. "I wasn't expecting you to let me come over, actually," she laughs. "Did I scare you?"

I nod. "Kind of. But I'm not doing anything tonight so it's fine."

"Good," she pulls out her keys and clicks a button, and the lights of a little, yellow car at the end of the parking lot, flash. "My parents are out of town and my brothers always have their friends and girlfriends over and they expect me to do everything for them. I did not sign up to be a parent!" She exclaims, chucking her bags into the backseat. "That's why I use protection when I have sex."

I chuckle and hop in the passenger side. "Nice to know."

"I'm a very open person," she smiles at me, "I also have no filter, so if I think your outfit looks like shit, I'll let you know."

I laugh out, surprised by how amused I am. "You've already done that."

"Good," she slides the keys into the ignition and pulls out of the parking spot, glancing down at my white converse, ripped high waisted jeans and the grey 'girl power' shirt tucked into the waistline and smiles, "today's is cute though." I smile sheepishly and she asks, "You're an active feminist?" making reference to my tee.