28 | promise me forever

You're still a fucking pain in the ass

I freak out again. Axel opens the box. There's a ring inside. I freak out even more, running my fingers through my hair. "Oh my god," I breathe, backing away slightly. "Axel, what the hell? I'm not —"

"Aviana," he starts again, and then realizes why I'm freaking out and closes the box. "Oh, shit, it's not what it looks like." He holds my shoulders and says, "I'm not proposing to you, Aviana." 

He gazes into my eyes, and I sigh, relief washing over me. "I thought," I sigh, laughing out loudly, leaning my back against Axel's car. "You pulled out a fucking ring, Axel," I laugh harder, rubbing my hands over my hot face. "I was thinking, 'holy shit, we're eighteen. We're in high school. I still have four years of uni—"

He bursts out laughing. "Aviana I'm not asking you to marry me."

I can hardly stop chuckling. "What, what are you doing then?"

He looks behind me, biting his lip in thought. "It's a promise ring, sweetheart. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea. Is it cheesy?" He glances at me again, moving his hand up to my cheek. "I love you, Aviana," he says again, "and I just wanted you to know how much I mean it. I thought a promise ring would prove it, I guess," he mumbles, glancing down and whispering, "Tasha said you'd like it." 

I grin a little. "I do." 

He glances up at me, his eyes gleaming with hope. "Aviana?" 

I hug him. No, I attack him with an embrace, my arms tightening around his torso, burying my face in his shoulder as I feel him against me, feel his strong, muscled arms hold me close, lift me against his warm body as he breathes into my skin. "I love you too," I whisper, and thinking that maybe he doesn't hear, I say louder, "I love you, Axel White. I love you so much. I love that you care so deeply about everything." 

I can't stop the tears spilling from my eyes, and Axel notices. "Sweetheart, please don't cry." 

I laugh, and pull away to look up at his handsome face. "I'm happy, Axel, let me cry." 

He pecks my nose, grinning. 

"Is this real?" I ask him. "Are you really here?" 

He nods. "I'm sorry it took me so long. I wish I could have just walked into homeroom that day and asked you out. I wish it could have been that easy, and that you wouldn't have had to deal with Tanner. I'm sorry I'm so fucked up. But I'm trying." 

"I love every part of you, Axel," I whisper again. "I have for so long. And I never stopped." 

He smiles, opening the black box again, and shows me the ring. "Promise me that no matter what happens, we can be together? I know you're scared about me going away, and I am too, but we can make it work, right? We can text, and call, and FaceTime, and I'll come visit whenever I get the chance. We'll figure it out. Promise me that you won't give up on me."