twenty six

✿ Daisy Weasley ✿

It was my birthday

It was my birthday. And I wasted my whole party waiting for my boyfriend to show up.

It was nearly midnight- so my birthday was almost over. And Draco was nowhere to be found.

I thought that our no-contact rule would skip over today. Or, at least, maybe he would send me some flowers. A note. A gift. Anything that would redeem himself for at least the day. My day. My fucking birthday.

My first birthday without my best friend and my older brother. My first birthday without celebrating with Tonks and Remus. My first birthday with him.

But he wasn't here. And I wasn't doing well.

After an awkwardly long moment where I had to sit next to my twin and fake a smile while everyone sang happy birthday to us, I dragged myself through my parents' house and into the bathroom of the burrow for some privacy.

I hated my reflection of myself in the mirror. I looked tired and unhappy. Glittery makeup on my eyelids, extra dark mascara with a small smudge wing at the crease. Rose-colored blush on my freckled cheeks, pouty pink lip gloss that needed reapplying. Red hair that had fallen curls at the ends.

I faked a smile in the mirror once. Twice. Three times. Four times. Over and over and over until I noticed the tub behind me, I tried to block the remembrance from the deepest part of my memory.

The knocking on the door echoed in the bathroom like there was nothing besides tainted memories for the sound to bounce off. I opened the door to see Draco standing in the hallway. He was wearing a back, quarter zip pullover, and tan-colored trousers.

He wore the same outfit when he offered me a drink from his flask on the train.

"Hi," he said low, whispered the same way he used to whisper my name when it was time to wake up every morning, and I begged him for five more minutes of his warmth when I was met with soft kisses to my forehead.

He held a plain vanilla bean cupcake with pink frosting. It had one extravagant-looking candle on it enclosed in a sparkly liner. My favorite flowers and a small gift bag in his other hand.

"Happy Birthday, Daisy Weasley." His bitter, deep chuckle stirred something inside me. "You think I'd forget your birthday? I will never, ever forget your birthday, Daisy."

He muttered a Lumos charm, and the cupcake candle lit up. He took a suturing step toward me, and suddenly the hallway narrowed inward, closing around us both. Tighter and tighter until it wasn't anything besides a cupcake and him. "Make a wish, baby."

And when I leaned forward to blow the candle out, I woke up abruptly, breathing heavily as I clutched onto the blanket that clung to my body.

Just another nightmare.