5. Conspiracy

The shock and tension over losing Mad-Eye was hanging low over the house for the next few days, and I almost half-expected to see him limp in through the back door like several order members were doing.

Things weren't the best between me and Harry either. After he was rude to me, we ignored each other for a day and a-half before erupting into a rare screaming match over who's pairs of socks were who's. After seeing how ridiculous we were being, we'd laughed and made up—though there was an underlying tension, the initial argument not solved.

Harry was still hell bent on leaving for the horcrux hunt earlier than anticipated, and didn't directly tell me whether he actually wanted my help or not.

This was clear early in the morning of July 28th, as I leaned against one of the cabinets with a cup of tea, Harry and Ron already starting on breakfast. Everybody was either at work or in bed, it was oddly silent.

"You can't do anything about it until you're both seventeen." Ron said, nodding over to me. Harry seemed uncomfortable with my presence there, but I wasn't going to leave. "You both have the trace. We can plan here—Hermione's been doing some research she wants to show you both."

"The trace breaks on the thirty-first," Harry said. "I only have to stay four more days—"

"Five, we have five until we leave." I inputted icily, anger prickling under my skin at Harry's insistence of leaving without me. "Mrs Weasley, Fleur and Lacey will kill us if we miss the wedding."

"It's one extra day," said Ron, when Harry looked mutinous.

"Don't they realize how important —?"

"No, they don't." I said sharply. "But we're going on a life threatening mission; I would like to have some happy memories and alcohol to take on the road with us."

"Oh yeah, that reminds me." Ron said lowering his voice, urging me to come closer. "Mum's been trying to get it out of Hermione and me, what we're off to do. She'll try to ask you as well. Be careful—she's determined."

Ron's predication ended up correct as Mrs Weasley asked me to identify a lone bra that could have belonged to me or somebody else in the house. Feeling awkward at the prospect of trying to identify either one belonging to a friend or worse, Lacey, Mrs Weasley's intentions were made clear as she shut the door.

"Ron, Harry and Hermione seem to think that the four of you are dropping out of Hogwarts," she began in a light, casual tone.

"Ah," I said awkwardly. "Well yeah, we are."

"May I ask why you are abandoning your education?" said Mrs. Weasley.

"Well getting my NEWT grades aren't high on my priority list." I said dryly. "Dumbledore left us... stuff to do. Ron and Hermione want to come as well—well actually I don't think Harry wants me to come, but I am anyway."

"What sort of 'stuff'?"

"Mrs Weasley—"

"Arthur and I have a right to know, and Mr and Mrs Granger would agree! I know Lacey is already at the end of her wits about where you plan on going though she won't mention it."

"Dumbledore didn't want anybody to know, I'm sorry Mrs Weasley. I wish I could tell you. Ron and Hermione have made their choice—"

"Neither you or your brother have to go either!" Mrs Weasley snapped. "You're barely of age! If Dumbledore wanted work to be done he would have told the Order! Harry must have heard it wrong—"

"It has to be us," I said softly. "It always has to have been." I tugged the bra out of her hand. "That is mine, thank you. It was under all of my things in my rucksack, I'm not sure how it got down here."