12. Undercover

August wore on, and the square of grass in the middle of the square turned brown and shrivelled up from the heat. Not a day passed when Cameron or another rotatable amount of death eaters appeared outside our house.

On the first day of September there were more people lurking in the square than ever before. Half a dozen men in long cloaks stood silent and watchful, gazing as ever at houses eleven and thirteen.

Sighing, I turned away from the window, though I was glad to see Cameron wasn't there today. Heading back to the kitchen to help Kreacher cook dinner, I'd barely washed my hands when the slamming of the front door was heard.

"I've got news, and you won't like it." Harry announced.

Wiping my hands, I turned to face him. The kitchen was now immaculate since Kreacher liked us. Plates were set for dinner and the fire was always lit—and Kreacher himself now dressed in a towel, his hair fluffy and always Regulus' locket.

"Shoes off, if you please, Master Harry, and hands washed before dinner," croaked Kreacher, seizing the Invisibility Cloak and slouching off to hang it on a hook on the wall, beside a number of old-fashioned robes that had been freshly laundered.

"What now?" I asked nervously, sitting down next to Ron and Hermione, who were pouring over notes and handrawn maps.

Harry strode towards us, throwing down the newspaper. A large picture of a familiar hook-nosed man stared back at us under a headline which read:

SEVERUS SNAPE CONFIRMED AS HOGWARTS HEADMASTER

 "No!" said Ron and Hermione loudly.

"What?" I spluttered, leaning over as Hermione snatched the paper up.

Hermione began to read the article. "Severus Snape, long-standing Potions master at Hogwarts School was today appointed headmaster in the most important of several staffingchanges at the ancient school. Following the resignation of the previous Muggle Studies teacher, Alecto Carrow will take over the post while her brother, Amycus, fills theposition of Defense Against the Dark Arts professor– Merlin's pants!" she shrieked, leaping up from the table and leaving the room.

"This is really bad," I said, my stomach sinking at the thought. "Hollie, spending her first year under the eye of death eaters? And after what she did to Mark, she can't be surrounded by people who'll affect her negatively." I looked at my watch. "What time is it?"

"Just after three," Harry said suspiciously. "Why?"

"Damn," I swore. "If it was before eleven I was going to King's Cross to get Hollie, get her into hiding."

"You can't!" Harry exclaimed. "I care about her too Rory, but you couldn't do that. Even if you went as Lena, they'd guess who you were. And they'd go after Lacey and George then for harbouring her, and you don't want that, do you?"

I shook my head, starting to tremble.

"The other teachers won't stand for this, McGonagall and Flitwick and Sprout all know the truth, they know how Dumbledore died. They won't accept Snape as headmaster. And who are these Carrows?" Ron said.

 "Death Eaters," said Harry. "They were at the top of the tower when Snape killed Dumbledore, so it's all friends together. And," Harry went on bitterly, drawing up a chair, "I can't see that the other teachers have got any choice but to stay. I reckon they'll stay to try and protect the students."

 Kreacher came bustling to the table with a large bowl, and began pouring soup into the bowls already on the table.

 "Thanks, Kreacher," said Harry, flipping over the Prophet so as not to have to look at Snape's face. "Well, at least we know exactly where Snape is now."