10. Lost relics

From the depths of my sleep-haze, I heard the door creak open. Panicking in my haze I grabbed my wand and shot a stunning spell across the room, only to hear somebody swearing.

"Bloody hell, I knew we were fighting, but you didn't have to try and kill me!"

Pulling on my glasses, I was a surprised to see Harry standing awkwardly in the doorway. "I'm half-asleep and paranoid, what do you expect?"

He was silent, looking around the room in awe. "I've never been in Sirius' room before."

Blinking at how normal he sounded, I mumbled, "Well I've only been in here twice, so..."

"Twice?"

"After he died I came here, I didn't think it was real...." I trailed off.

Harry wandered around the room, running his hand on the wallpaper, poking the Gryffindor banners and glancing through the mess as if he could see the ghost of our godfather. All of a sudden, Harry let out a chuckle, "Look, there's a picture of dad, Remus and Sirius..."

Getting up, I examined the photo with Harry that I hadn't glanced at. James Potter was instantly recognisable, looking shockingly similar to Harry with his untidy black hair and glasses. And there was Sirius, so happy and young.... And Remus, beaming, glad to be included for once.... And Wormtail, the traitor, face flushed with excitement.

"You look a lot like him," I said softly.

Harry turned to me. "And you look a lot like mum, especially with the hair...." He chuckled. "Maybe that's why everything went out of control last night, I mean Sirius said they fought a lot, right?"

"Look, Harry I'm sorry about what I said last night... I know you just want to protect me, but you can't forever, okay?" I said, putting a hand on his shoulder. "I'm not breakable..."

"I thought you were dead for two years." Harry said abruptly. "And I never thought I'd see you again. And then when you hugged me in Diagon Alley five years ago.... You were everything to me. A gift, somebody I could take care of..... I suppose I just want to keep you to myself."

"I don't care about Draco more than you, okay?" I said loudly. "I love him, but it's different with him, you're family. And family is not breaking apart because of stupid things.... Or whatever the hell was said in Lilo and Stitch. We're family, Harry—and we're all we have left."

"God, we're both so stupid." Harry shook his head. "But hey, it shows we're family right? Hitting each other where it hurts?"

"Look, I'm staying until somebody physically pulls me away from you." I said fiercely, grabbing onto his hand. "There have been times we haven't been there for each other when we should have.... And we need to stop acting like little bitches and grow up."

Harry shook his head. "Wow that was touching, really. I might cry."

"Jerk."

"Bitch."

"Hey now, I will bitch-slap you if I need to."

Harry laughed, and I knew we'd be okay. Opening the curtains, the early morning light revealed paper and books and objects scattered across the floor, seemingly worthless to whoever had been in there last.

"It wasn't this messy when I was here last, somebody's been here." I said to Harry.

"Well if it's Mundungus, I'll kill him twice over." Harry muttered, sifting through the rubbish, picking up a few pieces of paper. A part of a motorbike manual was found, and I smirked at the thought of young Sirius plotting to buy his own bike to defy his parents.