41. Victory

"Fuck—what the actual, flying fuck," Cole spluttered, as Sam sashayed down the corridor towards us, walking, breathing, smiling at us. "Samantha—"

"That's my name, I didn't change it when I was gone," she said breezily, as if she'd come back from Tesco rather than her grave. She beamed at me. "Alright, Rory? First time I've seen you in the physical world for a while."

"I—"memories flooded back from the strange purgatory I was in.

I decide whether you can come back.

"But I killed you—"Cameron whined from the floor, everybody had forgotten he was actually still alive. "I saw you die—"

"Aw, and I'm going to see you die, darling, what a beautiful irony." Sam smiled, tossing her hood off her head, just as Cameron made a choking cough, blood spluttering all over his front. "Ugh, I forgot how messy poison is."

"Genius, she's a genius," Draco whispered hoarsely from beside me, looking as if he'd seen a ghost—which he had really.

"Poison?" Cameron whimpered, clutching at his chest, looking in pain.

"Keep up, keep up—I've been poisoning you for over a year now," Sam rolled her eyes. "Why do you think you've been so weak, letting all these people getting to you, feeling dizzy? Etc etc, basically I've won."

"We've won," Cole said, seeming still in a daze, and he reached out and grabbed Sam's hand, tears in his eyes. "We've beaten you."

Panic radiated in Cameron's eyes, and he began squirming around like an ugly meal worm, scrabbling at the floor and wailing. "No—No—not ready, please—I'm sorry, I'm sorry!"

"SORRY DOESN'T BRING ALIA OR JIA BACK!" Cole bellowed, and Cameron actually cowered away from his little brother. He turned to Sam. "Together?"

"Together."

And at the same time, they thrust their wands back and shouted: "Dissolutionis!"

Two beams of red light shot from theirs wands, and I heard Cameron's high pitched scream and saw his blackened eyes widen as large as saucers before the rays hit him. Like a flame touching a curtain, Cameron burnt from top to bottom, flames swallowing him in gulps and chews compacting him into nothingness.

And then his final scream rang out, and with a faint puffing sound, Cameron Wilde was a pile of dust on the floor.

Cole collapsed to his knees and fell beside Alia, finally letting his emotions spill out like stars, his body quivering. "I did it—Natalia, I did it—he's gone—he's gone—"

"I'm so sorry I wasn't here to save her," Sam whispered, and the aura of pride at killing her worst enemy evaporated, grief falling into place on her thin face.

"Draco—are you okay?" I turned to my boyfriend quickly, there hadn't been enough time to check him after he was hit down.

"I'm fine—I'm fine, love—"

"HARRY!" several voices screamed, and a new instinct jumped inside me, and I set off running, dropping Draco's hand, Sam hot on my heels.

Breaking onto the main fray of the battle I could see Harry—clearly not invisible-- in the centre of the hall, protecting Molly Weasley, facing off Voldemort with a determined glint in his eye.

I skidded to a halt only fifteen feet away from Harry and Voldemort, the crowd parting for me, voices ringing out my name like a choir. But when Voldemort caught sight of me and hissed, the crowd fell silent.