23. Broken dreams

Gennie was right—a silver dirty KA had pulled outside, dark figures clearly visible through the mud splattered windows. The sun was barely rising, but darkness wouldn't be able to hide us from the assailants.

"Shit, what are we going to do?" I cried, tugging at my hair, head spinning.

This couldn't be happening.

"Calm down—we can get out of here!" Gennie shouted, and she grabbed my hands. We span on the spot, and I prepared for the tight tube sensation of apparating—but it never happened.

"Well that was brilliant, Gen, but it didn't work!" I shrieked, letting go off her hands and pressing my face against the window. A figure was emerging from the car—clutching a wand.

"Fucking Mark must have put-anti apparition spells on the place; we'll have to run for it. Are there any ways out of the back?"

"Follow me," I said, and tugging at her hand we darted out of the blood soaked room. My heart beating fast, as we streaked across the landing, three loud knocks were heard on the door.

Freezing, Gennie looked down the stairs. "Since when do death eaters knock?"

"Who cares, we need to get out of here!" I shouted, and forcefully I dragged her into Mark and Jenna's room.

Everything was the same—the photos of the three of us from childhood, the soppy valentine bear lying on the bed. "Smash the window open, I'll barricade the door."

Waving my wand, the dresser screeched across the floorboards and crashed against the door, forming a heavy barricade. From behind the door, banging was heard from downstairs. Somebody was trying to kick the door down.

With a smash, Gennie managed to shatter the back window, glass stuck to her bare arms. "Gen, you didn't need to punch it!"

"Well it's done now!" she shouted as I joined her. She peered out of the window. "How are we going to get down now?"

"Come on," I said, swinging both legs out of the window. There was a slanted roof on the back of Mark and Jenna's room, and then about a twelve foot drop from the guttering to the garden.

Gennie hesitated, banging coming from the other side of the door, the dresser shuddering with impact. "But—"

"Gennie, you jumped over thirty feet into the ocean yesterday, you can do this," I urged as splinters began to spray from the door frame. "Trust me."

Gennie nodded, and within seconds her legs were out of the window as well. Clutching her hand like a life-line, slowly and surely we slid out of the window. We crashed down onto the slanting roof, several tiles misplacing from our weight.

The dresser was still banging against the weight of the door—we'd have minutes if we were lucky. Clutching Gennie even tighter, the two of us began scooting our way down the roof, the whole affair seeming like descending a terrifying slide.

Feet grooving painfully into the guttering, we stood up shakily. Exchanging a worried glance, we looked down at the garden. It looked a long way down.

A loud crash came from above us, a loud thump of something hitting the floor. The dresser had fallen, the intruder was in.

"Now!" I cried, and before I could chicken out, I leapt from the guttering, pulling Gennie with me.

Screaming we fell together, the ground rushing up to meet us. Just in time I bent my knees, and we rolled on the grass, collapsing in a heap of limbs. A scream came from above, calling our names.

"The wards have to be off by the end of the lane—come on!" I cried, and staggering to my feet, head spinning and limbs shaky we got up, ducking and running from the garden before the spells began flying.