9. Return to Grimmauld Place

Everything seemed to slow down and speed up at the same time. I pulled my wand out, breathing shallow, Arthur swearing and scanning the room for Nate and Louis. An odd cold feeling was in the room, tension so tough it could only be severed with a meat cleaver.

Then somebody screamed.

Arthur and I dove into the headless chicken resembling crowd, guests sprinting in every direction, disapparating as the barriers broke.

"NATE!" Arthur screamed, and I was barely aware of Arthur pushing people aside to get to his boyfriend, I was concentrating on finding Harry. But when I heard them disapparate out, I couldn't help but let out a sigh of relief.

He was safe.

"Rory!" Hermione screamed in relief, grabbing my forearm. "Have you seen Ron?"

"He's was over by the food table!" I shouted as she dragged me across the dance floor in a run, following Harry who was sprinting towards Ron.

Cloaked and masked figures were appearing in dozens in the crowd, and I caught a glimpse of Gennie and Cole, who should be so happy right now, shooting curses at the death eaters—I just prayed none of them were Cameron.

"Ron! Ron!" Hermione called, half sobbing as I now pulled her through the crowd, grabbing Harry's jacket to link him to me, grabbing tighter as he tried to shake me off, ducking from streaks of light dancing across the tent.

And then Ron was there. He caught onto Hermione's free arm, and I felt Harry try to shake me off, shouting, but light and sound melted away as we were squeezed away from the Burrow, from the death eaters, from our friends and family...

"Where are we?" said Ron's voice.

I opened my eyes, more than surprised to find us on Tottenham Court road, in the heart of London, near the Museum I went with on a trip once with Kayley.

"Walk, just walk, we need to find somewhere for you to all change."

We half run up a wide dark street crawling with half-drunk people, stars twinkling above us, a sign that we were still alive, that we weren't dead yet. A rowdy group of drunk people eyed us up as we passed—Ron and Harry still had dress robes on.

"Hermione, we haven't got anything to change into," Ron told her, as a young woman burst into raucous giggles at the sight of him.

"Why didn't I make sure I had the Invisibility Cloak with me?" said Harry, sounding unusually angry.

"It's okay, I've got the Cloak, I've got clothes for you all," said Hermione, "Just try and act naturally until—this will do."

She led us down a side street, then into the shelter of a shadowy alleyway.

Ripping the necklace off my neck and reclaiming my own skin, I was reminded that I'd remembered my own bag of things, backpack transformed into a small beaded bag. Taking off the charm my backpack was back to normal, allowing me to pull out a jumper, jeans and combat boots I began to change, not caring at anybody staring.

"How the ruddy hell —" Ron had finally worked out that Hermione tiny beaded bag was under an extension charm.

"Undetectable Extension Charm," said Hermione. "Tricky, but I think I've done it okay; anyway, I managed to fit everything we need in here."

"When did you do this?" I demanded. "I only took my stuff with me to the wedding because I was planning on getting mega drunk."

"I just had a feeling...." Hermione trailed off.