26. the silver doe

Leaving the tent, I found Harry sat with his legs to his chest looking out at the forest we were camping in. The sun was up now, the grey sky stretching endlessly as snow carried on falling. Sitting next to him, we were silent for a few moments.

"Cole said you need to eat breakfast," I said, holding out a pack of crisps Cole had found in his backpack he conveniently took with us to the graveyard. Cole had taken upon the role of camp chef, managing to find us all fruit and crisps for an odd assortment of breakfast. "I don't know how old these are though... so..."

"I haven't seen a pack of crisps in weeks," Harry shook his head with a wry smile. "Trust Cole to bring junk food on this extended camping trip."

"I always wanted to go camping," I mused. "But Jenna was always afraid of bugs eating her to let us go."

"Trust me; a few weeks sleeping in that thing, you'll never want to go camping again." Harry shook his head, pulling the packet of crisps open.

We were silent for a few moments, and I looked out into the forest. The five of us were back together, and yet there was something that felt fundamentally odd about it. Only a week ago I was stuck in Hogwarts with Draco at my side.... Now he was locked up somewhere half-dead while I ran around with my brother.

"Hermione said she broke your wand." I said to Harry, and he nodded sadly, pulling out the broken pieces. "It's too bad, that wand's been through everything with you."

He sighed deeply, tucking the wand into the pouch around his neck. "Everything is so useless and unhelpful recently, we can't even destroy a horcrux we've had since September."

"Can I see it?"

Harry nodded, and he pulled the locket out of his pocket and spilled it into my hand. It was large locket with an ugly green face and a large golden S on the front, and even just in my palm I could feel the dark power radiating through it.

"Keep it, I don't care." Harry grumbled, and he laid back in the snow with a defeated sigh. "I thought Dumbledore had left us a secret path, but no of course he wants us to wander around in the dark with no bloody answers."

"Yeah, well we'll find those answers soon, okay?" I said, reaching out and tapping his knee. "I mean c'mon, I came back from the dead, we can find a way to destroy a pesky horcrux."

"I really missed having you around." Harry said, a tiny smile was on his face now.

***

We took it in turn to do watches in the night, and soon enough it was my turn. Huddled up in three jumpers and two pairs of tights I sat at the entrance of the tent looking through the album Draco gave me two Christmases ago by wandlight.

Flipping to the photo from the Yule Ball, I felt my eyes water at the sight of our first kiss in the snow, much like the heavy snowfall from outside. Closing my eyes I thought of our screaming argument that ended in declarations of love and kissing under glittering stars glistening with snow.

Draco had called it cheesy and overdramtic, but I think that was why I loved that moment so much. It was just like something from a story, and gave me hope that maybe somehow Draco and I could find our happy ending.... Three years ago to the day, who would have thought?

And now, he was locked up somewhere with a wounded neck with my little sister and I was being reminscient in an old tent. We were both underneath the same sky, so close but so far away....

A twig snapped, and I jumped, almost dropping the book. Lifting my wand up, I couldn't see anyone, but bushes were rustling and there was some sort of noise outside the barriers. Not wanting to be the stupid person who shouted 'who's there' in horror movies, I headed back into the tent.