40. This is War

With both of us hidden beneath the cloak, Harry cast a shield charm between Neville and Voldemort before Hagrid began yelling.

"HARRY! RORY!" Hagrid yelled. "WHERE ARE THEY?"

Chaos reigned swarmed around us like a neverending hum of wasps. Centaurs were scattering the death eaters, but giants kept charging at everybody, screams and snapping bones playing as the soundtrack. Winged creatures soared through the air towards the giants—I caught sight of Buckbeak scratching their eyes.

Harry and I set up a secret offensive beneath the cloak, shooting spells upon spells at the death eaters who kept charging at our friends.

I caught sight of Gennie; blood streaked and scarred battling between Arthur and Nate, all battling death eaters, her eyes a fire that wouldn't be put out.

We cast more and more shield charms between Voldemort's would-be victims, helping Luna and Neville avoid several killing curses.

The house-elves of Hogwarts swarmed into the entrance hall, screaming and waving carving knives and cleaver, and at their head, the locker of Regulus Black bouncing on his chest, was Kreacher, his bullfrog's voice audible even above this din:

"Fight! Fight! Fight for my Master, defender of house-elves! Fight the Dark Lord, in the name of brave Regulus! Fight!"

They were hacking and stabbing at the ankles and shim of Death Eaters their tiny faces alive with malice, Hermione was spotted leading them shooting paralysing spells at ankles.

"The hall—we can corner him there!" Harry shouted, and we darted into the main fray of the battle to try and find Voldemort, to try and end this for good.

But then I heard somebody's name being called, again and again: "Hollie! Hollie! Hollie!"

Whipping around, dropping Harry's hand, I caught sight of Camille sprinting through the hall after the small hurricane that was my little sister.

Without thinking of the consequences, or the fact revealing myself could have rippling effects I ran out from under the cloak ignoring Harry's screams. Pulling my hood up and securing it with a sticking spell I darted through the crowd, shooting and tearing and pushing.

On my cloaked encounters I caught sight of Lacey and George battling against Rookwood with joined hands, Lacey firing bullet after bullet striking death eaters in the ankles and shins.

"THAT'S FOR FRED YOU BASTARD!" Lacey screamed as Rookwood fell to the floor, clutching his ankle in agony.

The battle was eerily quiet over this end of the castle, rubble and debris whirling up a misty storm that made my eyes stream and ears ache with the vibrations of continually collapsing buildings.

And there she was, Hollie—her face with claw marks streaking down them, staring right at me—mouthing my name.

"AVADA KEDAVRA!" a voice shouted from behind.

Whipping behind me I saw a death eater shooting the killing curse directly at my sister's heart.

They say everything speeds up in traumatic events, but they're wrong. Everything slows down even though time is speeding around you in whirls and flurries. I saw Hollie's eyes widen and her scream echoing in the swirling mist.

I dove towards her, grabbing her around her waist and tackling her to the ground. And then my wand was in my hand and I was calling back: "AVADA KEDAVRA!"

The world exploded and I was holding my sister through it. The killing curse intended for her shot rippling waves through the wall behind us and bricks were tumbling, tumbling down onto us and I held my wand high with a protection spell, praying it would hold up.