21. Azkaban Island

I was sinking.

My eyes were streaming with water and through salt streaming eyes I could feel myself slowly sinking towards the murky bottom of the ocean into oblivion. My lungs were filling up with water, and while it should have stung and hurt, I felt the lightest I'd ever been.

Maybe I should just let myself sink, give in for once. All my plans had failed anyway, so what was the point in trying to find the light?

Shutting my eyes, I resigned myself to this fate until I felt a hand wrap around mine.

And then there was the light, blinding me, water hissing and screaming dizziness and disorientation taking over; lungs filling up with more and more water, choking, suffocating until---

We broke the surface, and I felt somebody push me onto land, where on all fours I began coughing up water, salt burning my throat. Collapsing into a heap on the unknown land, it took me a few moments to remember what happened.

"Draco?" I choked out, my voice hoarse.

"I'm here," he whispered, and weakly pulling myself around I saw him kneeling a few feet away from me, drenched and shivering. "We got away, Rory, we got away."

A delirious happiness came over me, and crawling to him, I fell into his arms, resting my head against his chest, feeling his warmth as he held me. We'd actually survived.

"Where are we?" I said, the hopelessness taking over me again like the flick of a light switch.

"Look," he whispered, pointing into the distance, and I nearly swore.

We were on a landing dock, and about a mile away from us was Azkaban prison. We were shielded by many wooden crates, but I was well aware of a small boat only fifteen feet away with two people on board, armed with wands.

"Why did you bring us here?" I whispered, well aware that the dementors were close.

"I panicked when we were falling, and I just thought of how you wanted to get Gennie out. We might as well do that now we're here."

I stared at him in disbelief, waiting for the punchline that never came. Looking wearily over at the fortress, I looked back at him. "You've finally lost it, Draco."

"Not really," he said. "Look, I know it's the craziest thing we've ever done-"

"Well yes, I was aware of that!" I hissed.

"But the only people allowed in Azkaban now are the guards, Ministry officials or death eaters. Having a dark mark gets you automatically in."

"You're a genius," I breathed out, kissing him on the cheek. "Right, how are we going to do this?"

For the next ten minutes we dried out our clothes and plotted in whispers on how to get Gennie out. In the end it was decided that I would wear one of my cloaks and pretend to be a mute death eater, while Draco just pretended Voldemort wanted Gennie out immediately.

"Love you," I whispered to Draco once we were almost ready to go onto the boat. "You know, for not killing us when you threw us out of a window."

Draco gave me a smirk. "But it worked, didn't it?"

"I hate you."

"No you don't."

"Shut up," I said, trying not to giggle. Giving each other one last kiss, an exchanges of 'I love you'' and squeeze of a hand for reassurance, we stood up and tried to look casual.

"Where did you come from?" the boat captain sneered as the two of us approached, clutching the hood close to my face. I really wished Cameron hadn't destroyed the necklace.