Chapter 1 Club

It's summer, I just had turned 21 last week, and I've joined a newly founded photography club that I was invited to by the famous photographer, Mavio Ainsley, when he saw me in Manila taking pictures on the streets.

His clubhouse was situated in the City of Puerto Princesa of the Philippines.

I arrived near the private house, which is coincidentally next to my summer home. 12 years passed since I last visited it. I scanned around the area to look for a familiar face. Then I notice her, almost swallowed by the crowds. I was about to walk up to her when a guy beat me to her. He said something that usually ticks her off.

Uh oh, I have to stop them before she exploded. I made my way to her. The oblivious guy continued to talk to his unwilling companion. The guy then pats the head of the girl not realizing the impending danger. The girl suddenly shouted. Her tirade was stopped suddenly by my hand on her mouth. I quickly took over the situation.

"K-Kaylor?" Rosa asked the moment she turned and saw me. "Kaylor!" she enveloped me into a tight hug. I melted into the embrace and took the opportunity to inhale Rosa's scent.

"You always smell clean." I didn't want to let go but I know I had to before this turned into an uncomfortable situation. It just felt so good to be in Rosa's arms after years. They entangled slowly and Rosa stood back in her seat beaming.

"Kaylor Lara M. Castillo, we haven't seen each other for 12 years and now I see you speaking to me in English."

"A lot has changed, alright." I mused. "You're also speaking back in English."

"Well, it would be rude not to. You even have an accent."

"Well, that's what happens if you study in Manila universities and meet loads of people for a while."

"You still transfer every year? That's absurd." Rosa reached for my thick leather-bound journal in my hand and stared at the pages. "Whoa, until now, you still transfer schools just to meet loads of people to make them sign here? You've been doing this since we're 11. I can't believe it's still with you. It's kind of heavy." With content, she returned it to me.

"Well," I created hand gestures for emphasis. "There are seven billion people in the world and it's my dream to meet as many as I can and have their signatures." Then I returned the journal inside my bag, noticing Rosa's scrutiny.

"I needed their profiles for a future thesis, okay?"

"What course did you take?"

"BS Marine Biology," I said.

"Whoa, Kaylor," she placed her hands on her hips. "You've never really changed."

Chuckling, I averted the topic from me, "Enough about me, what about you?"

"I studied Hotel and Restaurant Management in college and I've been doing pretty well, a British man employed me to handle his summer vacation house with his guests. You could say I'm the butler or a manservant in which case... maybe womanservant. I'm actually waiting for his last guest to show the way; maybe you can visit me sometime."