Chapter 17 Date

KAYLOR

That evening, Calliana took me to a fancy restaurant. I had felt a little underdressed for the venue but Calliana had assured me that I looked just fine. I don't know where she got her dress but I must say that she might have an old house that she only used when she's human.

Calliana looked stunning tonight. She wore a strapless simple maroon dress adorned with a pearl earring. Her hair was pulled up neatly in a braid, showing off her delicate neck. When we entered, I noticed that heads turned and I felt like the luckiest person on earth.

We were sipping wine slowly and enjoying each other company. I had a hard time focusing on my food. My eyes kept straying to Calliana's cleavage. The way she turned her head and moved her lips was like poetry in motion.

"So, how's it like to live with foreigners?" Calliana asked me.

"It isn't bad actually. They are interesting people with different upbringing and personalities and we get along real good." I said.

I told Calliana about them at our second meeting. How my days went regarding the International Photography Club and other shenanigans. I could feel Calliana's gaze watch me with interest, I couldn't help the colors that glowed my cheeks.

"You are enjoying yourself aren't you?" Calliana teased, genuinely enjoying myself by the animated looks on my face.

"Well, I certainly do. Enough about me, how're things on your side? I wanted to know if it's not a sensitive topic. What country and age did you live before you became part of the whole merfolk thing?"

Calliana looked thoughtful for a moment before replying. Her face was grim. As if she had swallowed something unpleasant. I wanted to know all about Calliana, what kind of place they have underwater, and what kind of ruling or what her status down there is. After a while, Calliana finally spoke up.

"I'm Welsh; I came from the country which you would all call from Great Britain, in Wales specifically."

"That is so cool; maybe you can teach me how to speak Welsh sometimes," I said. When Calliana didn't say anything again, I was getting concerned. "What? What's wrong?"

"I lived a very long time ago. I can't exactly remember when or how to be Welsh anymore." Calliana replied quietly, eyes not meeting me.

"What?" I shouted in disbelief.

"All I can remember was that I was kidnapped by pirates with all the women villagers when the Vikings came. They burned our houses to the ground, took our brewed wines, finest weapons, and cattle and wheat. They killed our men, made our children into thralls, and sell the women. Of course, before selling, they would have fun first and I was a bit of a rebel. I outsmart them into not taking my maidenhead. One time the son of a Jarl took ownership of me and when he got mad at me because I evaded him cunningly, he took me to a boat and went into the deepest part of the ocean and threw me while I was chained in manacles."

All colors drained from my face. "Oh my," I was shocked. I didn't know how to digest this information. Calliana could have been sold off to anyone else but she was thrown into the ocean and the early merfolk's curse spared her.