Chapter 9 Fireflies

MORGANA

Oh great, just my damn luck.

"Hi...." she turned around hesitantly. Sure enough, there standing in front of me was none other than Kaylor Castillo. We stood awkwardly not knowing what to do.

"Alright people. Gather up. Each of you will take the flashlight and we will meet back here soon. Remember, the last couple to arrive will sleep outside! Now go!" The guy that I flirted with earlier shouted at us as he took off with his partner in tow.

Why couldn't he just be my partner instead?

Reluctantly we got moving. I hadn't wanted to participate but as a member of the club, I needed to. And now, here I am walking alone with Kaylor. The girl I had been avoiding for weeks.

"This is stupid," I grumbled.

"I couldn't agree more." Kaylor sighed.

We were being bitten by mosquitoes already but I was mostly targeted because of my skin color. Kaylor was walking a few feet in front of me with the flashlight. We were walking in uneasy silence until now. She looked at me wearily.

"So... how have you been?"

"Good, fine, amazing," I replied in a clipped tone.

"Okay. Good. Good." She mocked.

"I'm going out with Andre currently." I lied but I didn't know what I had to.

"Who?"

"Andre from the culinary college, he's half-Spanish and his father's a Filipino." Andre, in truth, had asked me out a couple of times but I always turned him down.

"Huh? So... you are over Jeon now?"

"Yeah, I figured that I can have anyone I want."

"But I thought you said Jeon was special." She asked and I didn't want this conversation to continue anymore.

I had been confused emotionally all week and didn't what to do.

"Is your name Cathy?" I asked the smaller girl.

"What? No. Why?" Kaylor was puzzled now.

"Then stop acting like Dear Cathy and leave me alone!" I snapped at her.

"You read that part in the local column paper about relationships?" she asked, intrigued by the idea.

I merely rolled my eyes and snubbed at her.

"Fine, I won't talk to you anymore!" Kaylor took a deep breath and held it in to ease her annoyance.