Chapter 32 Poison

CALLIANA

"What is it, Calliana?" Kaylor looked at me; she had tears invading her eyes.

At that moment, I felt the whole world judging me. I had feared that the pain and sorrow would take its toll on my being, and somehow along the way I wouldn't be Calliana of the Merfolk anymore, but someone else—someone like the rest of the world, a person I didn't want to be like anymore—the person I used to be before—a human, Calliana of the Welsh.

Biting my lower lip, I decided to tell her. "It's about the shark that bit you years ago." I paused, wetting my dried lips. "I knew him, in fact... I've always done. I just didn't realize that you were one of the girls—especially the girl he bit."

Kaylor gazed at me, confused as she always seemed to be when I made yet another of my confidences. Then the revelation slowly settled in. She clasped her mouth but did not gesture anything to me. She felt betrayed and so foolish. "You promise you would tell me, you promised me, we'd do our revenge? But you wouldn't tell, why?"

The way her face flared anger tugged dangerously on my fragile heartstrings.

My throat suddenly went dry, it became more difficult to defend myself and to reason, "Because if I did, I'll defy the merfolk law and thus, I'll become like him—the shark who bit you—a convict."

"You should've just told me!" She barked ferociously. Even the other human girl flinched by her sudden outburst. "You shouldn't have gotten my hopes up! Who is he?"

"Kaylor, that's not the solution," I swore.

"Give me the wretched name!" She hissed her eyes flickered resentment while pointing and jabbing the air for emphasis.

"I haven't known you were so angry at me," Maochlannsen said. "I tried my best to redeem myself.

"What?" The meddling blonde human girl asked while Kaylor stayed speechless and surprised.

"It's true, Kaylor." Maochlannsen walked towards her and held her chin. "I'm sorry. My mother was hungry. She cannot hunt. I thought the boat was a seal, sharks don't actually eat humans. It was not on purpose, it was an accident."

"Y-you?" she stammered. "You're a shark?"

"Well, a mershark actually," he grinned. "But there are sharks out there that don't have a torso of a human." Maochlannsen noticed that Kaylor had trouble believing what he said. "You don't believe me a bit, do you?"

"Not exactly," she said, skeptical, "Unless, you show me proof."

"Oh well," he said. "All that's left for me to do is just edit myself out of those videos." In a moment, he began to have a shark tail and a fin then lost all his human form. Several rows of sharp teeth paired with their high speed made him what he was before—a dangerous hunter, cold, calculating, and cunning. Then little by little, his human torso was back. He was handsome.