Chapter 28 Queen

EMPRESS

Walking through her way from the crowd was a familiar brunette, looking amazing. In a black bra with a see-through white dress, brown sandals, and black shorts, all of which clung to her like it was a second skin.

Swallowing, I debated whether if this was a good time to confess before Morgana does. 

Screw it. I'm going to do this.

"Kaylor!" I called out to her then she immediately smiled, although a bit awkward.

"Hello, Empress. I can see you're not with Morgana anymore," she said.

"You know we can't really stay with each other's presence without anyone to break the tension," I said, trying to elevate humor, anything, to calm my beating heart.

"Do you know where she is? She's not drunk, isn't she?"

I can feel Kaylor's concern through the flow of her voice and her eyes, I can't help but feel an unpleasant weight that settled on my chest. "Don't worry, she's not drunk."

"I hope she's fine."

"She's fine," I said, nonchalantly. "She will be fine. Anyone can help her." I tried reassuring her but still, Kaylor was so worried, she tried turning around. I reached for her hand. "Why are you so worried for her, Kaylor?"

"You haven't seen her drunk, Empress." She said. "I'm just worried she might cause a scene."

Breathing, I counted slowly. But the mantra kept repeating in my head until I finally said it. "I love you, Kaylor."

Kaylor's eyes widened at my brave confession. Oh no. It wasn't supposed to be this way, I came out desperate. Tears were starting to fall from my eyes and my cheeks were red as tomatoes.

She smiled reassuringly, then held my hand with both of hers, sharing her warmth. "Thanks, Empress, but I'm really not into—"

I dreaded that answer coming out of her mouth so I beat her unto it, "Women?" I asked bitterly, blaming myself for being so stupid and reading the signs wrong. "Oh, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Guess I was fooled by my gaydar."

"You're not quite wrong, remember?" She asked. "I told you I'm heterofluid. Shit happens."

"Are you..." I began, thinking of any other words than dumped. "—denying me?"

"No, it's just—" she said exasperatedly. "I'm not in the right situation—mentally and emotionally for a relationship." She blushed, "At least, for now, you're beautiful, Em. It's just a wonder why you've fallen for me."

"Is it really that impossible for you?"

She nodded, meekly. "You're the unattainable sweet princess. I do even wonder that despite our difference in Photography skills, despite our ethnicity, why did you fall for me, was it because I'm very different from the other people you've met? Is that just the factor?"