Chapter 6 Game

EMPRESS

Empress was trying to articulate in Filipino/Tagalog when someone knocked on the door and Kaylor came in her hair was still dripping and she's wearing an oversized T-shirt with pajama pants.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Can I borrow your blow-dryer?" she asked. "I really hate the heat, I just took a bath and I feel like it's Niagara Falls while dressing up."

She made me chuckle. "You hate it? Well, it's comforting, unlike in Canada. And I'm glad the heat isn't anything like in Hawaii."

Kaylor then sat at the edge of my bed and toweling her hair. I looked at her rather fondly when she started drying her hair and sweat that might go along with it. I had feigned interest in whatever Jeon had said earlier when we were chatting.

I had followed Iko's advice and entertained Jeon in a trivial conversation about cars and sports. The whole time, my attention often strays to Kaylor's direction. I had noticed Kaylor looked at our way a couple of times. The jealousy tactic had worked too well on Morgana but not on Kaylor. I still couldn't figure out her feelings. I was starting to think that Kaylor might be straight when my object of endearment suddenly spoke up.

"Hey, I have two VIP tickets for a local basketball game. It'll be good because it's a regional competition between schools. Do you want to come?" Kaylor looked at me expectantly.

"Two tickets, eh? You and me like in a date?" I teased the flustered girl.

"You could say so; I mean you can see Jeon as well. He's going to watch the game as well." Kaylor wasn't sure how to react.

"Sure. I'd like to see a local basketball game." I smiled sweetly but really, I don't really mind where I'm going as long Kaylor will be with me.

"Cool! So, how are you and Jeon coming along?" Kaylor asked tentatively.

"We are good. I found out that he is actually quite a charming person." I smiled and noticed that Kaylor's face fell a little at that. Oh, my! The plan actually works! I am delighted.

"Well, I was wondering about how you feel towards him. Do you like, really like him?" she asked.

"It was still too early for such a thing, but I don't know. Let's see how things go."

"Good. Good for you guys." Kaylor said quietly. Maybe she was jealous or picturing Morgana's hurt face from earlier. She felt sorry for the American because she knew really well how heartbreak feels like.

Aargh! I really can't read her at all!

Since last night, we had a sleepover in her room, now; we're having one in mine. Both of us fell asleep with different thoughts. Well, at least that was something! I brightened at the thought and drifted to sleep.

The next day, I had been really pleased to find that Kaylor did not seem fazed by my advances. Kaylor was really attentive during the game. She volunteered to get the food and drinks for us and insisted I stay in our seats. I found that was totally sweet and charming. Kaylor had stayed close to my side during the whole game and I couldn't be any happier.