10

When I woke up, I had a clear mind. I walked to the Hut where everyone was talking and chatting

" Riti, where were you last night?"

I tilted my head, they know that I usually sleep outside.

" She's talking about after the bonfire."

" Oh I went for a walk. Sorry when I got back everyone had been asleep."

Jake stared at me like he could tell something was off, " It gets dangerous at night kid, so make sure you come back before curfew."

I nodded.

" You should have told me you were leaving last night." Neteyam said as he sat down next to me

I didn't look at him just took a bite of my fruit, " I didn't want to ruin anyone's time."

Kiri whispered, " You missed it, Lo'ak-"

"Shut up Kiri." He hissed looking at his mom and dad.

She mouthed, " I'll tell you later."

Tuk pouted in the corner, upset that we had gone without her, Neytiri tried to console her as she cried.

I leaned down next to Neytiri and nodded to her as if to say I got this.

She put a hand on my head that conveyed that she was grateful and started a conversation with them about how it went at the bonfire to see if they had made any friends.

" Tuk what if it's just a you and me day ?"

She wiped her eyes, " Really?"

I nodded, " I'm tired of teenagers and I really wanna make another bead to put in my hair." I tugged at it and she nodded, " but that means we need to grab the materials."

I waved at her, " I can get them, don't worry about it. Stay here and take your lesson on sign and I'll be back with the material."

She smiled, " We can even make mom one!'

" I think she would love that."

Her mind was totally off the bonfire and I had an excuse to go on a walk to clear my head.

At first Neteyam tried to come with me but I waved him off stating how he hadn't even eaten yet.But in reality I needed to mend my heart a little bit more before I acted like everything was okay.

I had just finished getting the materials to make beads and necklaces, when I heard a familiar voice call out to me.

" Ao'nung? Roxto?" I turned and saw them both looking at me up and down. They had their friends around them sneering at me. This was a drastic change from yesterday and I felt like I had a clue what triggered it.

" What's up?"

" We just were wondering about some things." Roxto asked as they all walked closer

"What things?"

" Are you some type of orphan?" Ao'nung asked cruelly

"What?" I hadn't considered myself that before. Sure I didn't have a mom or a dad when I was younger but I did now. Technically he was incorrect. 

Roxto mocked me, " He asked if you were some type of orphan."

Ao'nung laughed, " No, she's just some charity case that the Sully's picked up and couldn't return."

" Everyones entitled to act stupid once in a while, but you're really abusing that privilege." I snarked, the Sully's loved me. They wanted to take me in