15

"I wish I had been there. The ocean blessed you with a gift brother." Kiri said looking at Lo'ak amazed.

Lo'ak was telling them about how he met the Tulkun who saved his life. 

We all sat in a circle. Ao'nung stood leaning on a tree next to me and Neteyam, it was Kiri then Roxto, Tuk and Tsireya who was sitting next to Lo'ak.

Neteyam has been following me around all day, which was confusing to me considering he was the one who wanted to keep his distance.

Ao'nung shook his head, "The Tulkuns have not yet returned and anyway no Tulkun is ever alone."

I glanced at Lo'ak, then at Neteyam. He was rubbing the top of his braids in thought.

"This one was. He had a missing fin, like a stump on the left side"

Tuk frowned,  "poor Tulkun."

Tsireya suddenly gasped as realization popped up on her face, " Payakan. It's Payakan."

She looked at us with wide eyes. Who the hell was Payakan? 

Kiri looked confused, " Who is Payakan?"

I chewed on my nail, not liking where the tone of this conversation was going. Neteyam put his hand on mine and I stared at it. He was sending me mixed signals...again. He couldn't just act like nothing happened. 

Roxto answered this time, "A young bull who went rogue. He is outcast, alone and has a missing fin"

" They say he is a killer." Tsireya looked at Lo'ak worried.

" No No," Lo'ak shook his head declining these claims

" He killed Na'vi and other Tulkuns. Not here, but far to the south." Ao'nung said

" No, he's no killer." Lo'ak said

" Lo'ak you are lucky to be alive."

" I'm telling you guys, he saved my life. He is my friend"

No one seemed to believe him. He looked at me in desperation as he held Tsireyas arm.

I shrugged guiltily, I couldn't do anything. I told him last night that I believed him but I didn't know what to say to everyone else to make them.

Neteyam tried to ease the tense aura by standing up and putting his hands on Lo'aks shoulders, "My baby bro. The mighty warrior who faced a killer Tulkun and lived to tell about it."

I understood what he was trying to do but I didn't think that was what Lo'ak was looking for.

Lo'ak shrugged him off, suddenly standing and shaking his head in frustration.

" You guys aren't listening."

" No Lo'ak I'm listening." Tuk cried as he walked away

I shook my head and sighed, as everyone yelled at Lo'ak to come back.

"You Skxawng." Kiri said looking at Neteyam.

I looked at them, " What if it is true?"

They looked at me shocked, " No way you heard-"

" How do you know? Where you there when Lo'ak almost died at the Reef? Were you there when Payakan supposedly killed those Na'vi?"

They looked down, " Lo'ak was at the reef and he is alive. Why would Payakan save him if he was a killer?"

I stood up not bothering to look at anyone. I felt for Lo'ak, and a part of me wanted to go after him but the other part of me felt like he needed to be alone.